Allanon

grossi

It saddens me terribly to know I will not see Brian at another event....He will always be there in spirit... I met Allanon for the first time at the WSGA Campout in 2005. We spent sometime together and he and Dozer had a great time...There was so many bee's in the ground that year...I hope your are at peace and with no more pain. You will be terribly missed by so many....RIP My friend....

I was stunned to read this sad news this evening. I have cached with Brian so many times I can't remember them all. Cache Machines, both official and unofficial, WSGA campouts, informal events in Monroe, the Lord Hill through-hike where we celebrated his 1000th find, Even the Iron Horse cycling event where he was there to meet us in Cle Elum. I didn't realize just how badly his health had declined. I regret not spending time with him over the GW8 weekend, one last time. He will be missed by the sport but especially by all who were blessed to know him personally.

I had the privilege of working together with Brian for several years on the WSGA board, most recently with Brian serving as the amazingly organized and detailed secretary for our group. I knew I could always count on him to have everything carefully organized and ready for our board meetings, geocoin mailings, meeting minutes, membership badges ... you name it, he had it ready before I even asked.

He and I enjoyed carpooling together over to the WSGA campout last summer and I got a chance to know him a lot better during that trip as we had time to talk about our lives outside of geocaching.

Brian was also a man that really loved dogs, and that made him an extra special person in my eyes. He never batted an eye at being exuberantly greeted by Scooter when he was a passenger in "her" car, and he told me stories of how much he had loved the mini dachshund Heidi that he had owned before he became involved with caching.

dadgum...I will miss you, my friend. At least I can take some solace in knowing that you aren't in pain any longer. Rest in peace, Brian.

Seeing the photos and reading the remembrances reminds me of how many lives Brian touched with his generous spirit. The world will not be the same place without him. The sound of Brian's laughter will always be with me; here are a few more photos to help us remember some of the good times we had together.

16b6e7c9-dfcd-4738-bff8-57dde4761925.jpg

ddd14588-d6ca-4182-8dcf-c4844074998e.jpg

907f49c8-a60a-4114-921e-cf6d6612ab75.jpg

598d9c8f-fe1e-44ba-bd4f-3a88cdb41654.jpg

6c5151f7-fd75-4651-9cb4-9bc1e3dcdcc7.jpg

Brian, I'll miss you.

~Carolyn

I remember Brian as a teacher, always there at events and online to answer our silly questions (like, really, how does GSAK work?) I'll always have fond memories of Brian, especially at the WSGA campouts at Lake Chelan, Port Townsend and here in Spokane. We'll miss ya buddy,

Anne (YA)

Here's a pic of Brian teaching an impromptu GSAK Class at the Spokane WSGA Campout in 2008. The Inland Empire Cachers were thrilled to have an expert on hand to teach us the basics, and beyond.

440e6e35-7b68-444a-80dd-d4236a766866.jpg

I remember that day well (I'm the guy smuggling the beer keg under his t-shirt).

Brian tried to give me a crash course on a GSAK macro that would let me customize wp symbols, but due to a density problem on my part, he ended up just emailing me his version of the macro. At Geowoodstock, which was held very close to Brian's home town, I started seeing some different symbols show up on my gps. I soon discovered that those were his hides. After wandering the countryside for a few days I started noticing some other GSAK related oddities. I'm not completely sure yet, but I think that those were his favorite finds.

I think I'll just go ahead and keep this macro. I like it. :)

I didn't know Allanon as well as I should have. I had met him at several events over the years, but I tended to stay with just the few people I already knew well. Brian was always very friendly and I could tell that people loved and respected him.

I saw Allanon at the XXX Rootbeer event and was busy running around talking to people and didn't have a chance to say hi. You never know when your final day will be. I know you need to live every day to the fullest. It is always hard when you get these reminders.

RIP Allanon.

I was shocked to get this news from Jcar just as I was calling him for help on a cache. I knew he hadn't been feeling well lately but I didn't expect this. I mostly remember Brian at events, like the Christmas Parties and Pizza gatherings...and of course the CM's. I remember running into Him and AndrewRJ on one of the CM's and he was climbing a steep hill to reunite with his group. I couldn't believe such a large man could make it up that hill, but he did ..huffing and puffing his way up. Willpower. Hard to understand that I won't be seeing him around. We will all mis you much, Allanon. Rest in Peace, my friend. No more pain, no more suffering.

I am terribly saddened by the news of Brian's passing. I knew Brian only through the forums and email. But he was a genuinely nice guy who will be missed.

A few years ago, he sent me one of his signature coins. On the face of the coin are the words "Allanon - caching since 10/17/04 * Through knowledge, power". I'm holding the coin in my hand now in a futile effort to lessen the sorrow I feel.

What to say, I last talked with Brian at GWVIII and now I wish I had spent a bit more time visiting with him one last time. So many memories and emotions running going through me and so few words coming out to express them. I feel honored to be able to call Brian a friend. Remember buddy, there will always be a spot in the Land Rover for you.

Wow, this is truly a shock! I have met Brian at several WSGA events. He was always one of those people I meant to get to know better, but I thought it could wait until a less busy time. As others have said, I guess that will have to wait. When I did talk to him or have other dealings with him, he was always unfailingly polite, cheerful, and generous with his time. RIP :'(

Oh Brian. I miss you already, my friend. Brian was the first geocacher I ever met. I had started playing in October of 2004 with one of those little wrist Garmins where you had to hand enter coords and given my usual lack of attention to detail with electronic gizmos, well let's just say I couldn't find a cache if it was sitting out in the open with a blinking light on it. I got on the forums and saw a guy named Allanon who was also new and looking for help. Totem Lake offered to meet up with us and give us some pointers. We met up at Kingsgate Cache on October 29, 2004. I went back this morning to read the logs and Totem Lake had even taken a picture of us.

91cdd88f-7569-4fd3-aa6c-c7fb15694cdf.jpg

Brian went on to become one of my best friends. He was one of the funniest guys I knew and his laugh was just the best laugh ever. It was deep and infectious and always made me smile. He had such a wicked sense of humor. Seems like every time we went on some kind of caching trip, I would inevitably leave some article of clothing in his car. He loved to write in his logs and on the forums that I had left my pants in his car. :) He was by far the kindest and most generous friend I have ever had. He was always a shoulder to cry on and we had so many fun and happy adventures. He played golf with me, which was another one of his loves. My kids began to grow up and I no longer had the time for geocaching that I once did. Brian always kept me up-to-date, letting me know when cache machines were coming up, even when I couldn't attend. He got so much joy from caching, even when failing health and pain made it harder for him to get around. He had so many friends here and he knew how much you all loved him. This morning as I was looking through logs and memories I came across a website for the Coin Quest. I read this:

11/29/2005 6:00:44 PM Tolt River Run GCMERN How fitting that I complete this quest on a cache owned by the person I met while learning this game. We soon became friends and a year later, I think we are better friends than ever. Thank you LittleBlue!

Thank you, Brian. Thank you for your friendship and love and I will miss you so much.

Hugs to you all.

I was very sorry to hear the sad news of Brian's passing.

I didn't know Brian well but I considered him a friend. I had the pleasure of meeting him and caching with him several times over the years, at various events and cache machines. I also had the privilege of working with him regularly during my time as WSGA chapter rep for the Inland Empire.

My wife and I's thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and his friends.

I am deeply saddened by the news about Brian. I consider myself fortunate to have met him and spent time with him at geocaching events over the past many years. His contributions to geocaching in Washington State and globally can not be underestimated. May he rest in peace.

I was saddened to hear of Brian's passing. My heart goes out to all who loved Brian, as family, a friend and a geocacher.

The first time I met Brian was at a WSGA event. I remember seeing him with his walking stick and thinking - that's one big stick! He was so personable and made sure to introduce himself. I have to admit, I called upon Brian a few times as a WSGA web master and he was always so patient! I was excited to see him show up at GWVI in CA with his walking stick, ready to tackle all the caches in CA, he was so excited to be there! I will regret not talking to him at GWVIII, thinking I'll catch up with him at the next event.

Brian was a unique kind of guy, so genuine and you always knew where you stood with him. I know Brian was in a lot of pain before he passed and I find comfort in knowing that he is no longer hurting.

Thank you all for sharing your pictures, they have really been nice. To Brian's friends and family, please know we have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Be at peace Brian, we'll see you on the trails.

Stephanie

Celtic-Heart

:laughing:

Add us to the list of people who saw Brian over the GeoWoodstock weekend but didn't visit with him thinking we'll see him at another event when it's a little less crazy. As others have said, this is a lesson on how life is short and we should never miss the opportunity to let someone know what they mean to us.

While we didn't know Brian well, we did know what a kind and generous person he was. The Northwest caching community (and beyond) has a hole in it now that will not heal anytime soon.

I haven't been able to pull my thought together well enough to post after hearing the news. I must have tried to start a dozen times but never could get more then a sentence out.

Brian was one of the first cachers I ever met, it was at a WSGA event shortly after we both started caching in early 2005. I had the privilege to tag along with him and JCAR to find an old Kodiak4 cache called Vista.

I got to know Brian quite well and we usually ended up at the same events, after a bit we would hit the trail and grab caches together.

He was a fixture in the caching group that would get together for cache machines, usually bringing up the rear but always getting there, Joining us on hikes, I remember well a trip to Lord Hill for a major milestone of his.

Friendly, outgoing, generous, Brian was always there to help out.

Brian always had a smile for you and an intense sarcastic sense of humor that always had me smiling. He could make even the most mundane thing fun.

His health plagued him and like many noticed that lately he was in more pain than usual. I was very glad to sit down and talk to him at GW8 and now wish I had had longer to talk.

I knew he was in the hospital but was still shocked and stunned to hear of his passing. It sounds like he was much more ill that anyone knew. I am glad that he never knew the extent of his illness.

I am truly going to miss my talking to my friend. God speed Brian, rest well and in peace :laughing:

It’s taken me a few days to get far enough past the numbing shock of losing Brian to be able to write about him. I last spoke to him a few days before he went into the hospital, when neither of us knew how sick he really was. He was in a lot of pain, but had begun making some positive changes that made us both think there were better days ahead. That was not to be, but now he is pain free at last and in a better place. Those who love him must now heal the gaping hole he leaves in our hearts and fill it with memories of good times shared with him and be thankful for our good fortune to have him in our lives, though for too short a time.

I first met Brian in November 2004, when he had been caching barely a month. A group of us banded together to find Moun10Bike’s Got Coin? Cache and had a tailgate party afterward which also happened to be the debut of the gastronomical abomination that became an après caching trailhead staple during cold weather, Frito Pies. Since then I have traveled all over the PNW with him, worked with him for years on the executive board of the WSGA, and had more good times together than I can ever count. I will miss his biting wit, his unfailing helpfulness, sharing our enjoyment of both the outdoors and geeky things, and talking about anything and everything. When I think of the kindred spirits I would never have met if not for geocaching, Brian is the first that comes to mind. My life is richer for having known him, and I will miss him always.

Many great photos of Brian have been posted here. I will add a couple from the early days.

The tailgate party after Got Coin! where I first met Brian:

83596e70-3f16-49d3-b8c1-4b54c8a500ec.jpg

He was with me in the spring of 2005 when I found my 1000th cache:

fedf313d-ee35-4362-bc76-37f367e84b9d.jpg

And lastly I want to add my favorite log written by Brian, from the Everett Cache Machine in 2006. It still makes me laugh all these years later: Devilish Darlings Night Cache

I'm working with the family to put together a memorial service for my friend Brian where all his other geo-friends can get together to reminisce about our friend.

I'm reaching out to those of you that have hosted events in the Kirkland/Redmond/Woodinville/Monroe/Everett area. Looking for a park for the event. Ideas, suggestions?

I'm thinking that the big guy would love it.

I'm working with the family to put together a memorial service for my friend Brian where all his other geo-friends can get together to reminisce about our friend.

I'm reaching out to those of you that have hosted events in the Kirkland/Redmond/Woodinville/Monroe/Everett area. Looking for a park for the event. Ideas, suggestions?

A memorial is a wonderful idea. I always associate Brian with Lord Hill park - it was near his base of Monroe, we celebrated his #1000 there (see pic earlier in this thread), etc.

A memorial is a wonderful idea. I always associate Brian with Lord Hill park - it was near his base of Monroe, we celebrated his #1000 there (see pic earlier in this thread), etc.

I agree - Lord Hill Park was the first thing that came to my mind too. It seems very fitting to hold it outdoors in a beautiful park that he liked.

I agree - Lord Hill Park was the first thing that came to my mind too. It seems very fitting to hold it outdoors in a beautiful park that he liked.

One of the aspects I love most about geocaching is the inclusiveness that goes hand-in-hand with the activity we all love. Regardless of age, physical condition, athletic prowess (or, in my case, the lack thereof), size, shape, ability or (again, in my case) disability - geocaching has something to offer everyone. When Brian and I cached together he was, without fail, thoughtful and attentive to the need for location/terrain with easy accessibility. I absolutely agree that Brian would love the fact that his friends want to gather together to celebrate his life in a location he loved. However, my suggestion is that - if Lord Hill Park is chosen - location, parking and terrain be taken into consideration so ALL who wish to attend may do so - without undue hardship.

One of the aspects I love most about geocaching is the inclusiveness that goes hand-in-hand with the activity we all love. Regardless of age, physical condition, athletic prowess (or, in my case, the lack thereof), size, shape, ability or (again, in my case) disability - geocaching has something to offer everyone. When Brian and I cached together he was, without fail, thoughtful and attentive to the need for location/terrain with easy accessibility. I absolutely agree that Brian would love the fact that his friends want to gather together to celebrate his life in a location he loved. However, my suggestion is that - if Lord Hill Park is chosen - location, parking and terrain be taken into consideration so ALL who wish to attend may do so - without undue hardship.

I respectfully suggest Al Borlin Park...he and I enjoyed biking there a few times, and he loved it there.

I keep backspacing my tribute to him. I can't come up with one that would stretch around the giving person I loved him to be. I miss my friend so much it hurts, as does the sting of some of the last things I said to him.

Ed, I'll call soon. My schedule is so wonky right now...

I respectfully suggest Al Borlin Park...he and I enjoyed biking there a few times, and he loved it there.

I keep backspacing my tribute to him. I can't come up with one that would stretch around the giving person I loved him to be. I miss my friend so much it hurts, as does the sting of some of the last things I said to him.

Ed, I'll call soon. My schedule is so wonky right now...

Tee was closer to him than anybody, I think. If she feels he'd have liked Al Borlin Park better, then that is probably the place to go. I remember he had some caches in there. It's still outdoors in a beautiful park that he liked - a good thing.

Like others I have had started and stopped several times when trying to post here, and am still struggling. For now I would just like to add to the Al Borin suggestion. It was what I thought of first, four of his hides are/were in the park, and based on a couple of guided tours from Brian over the years, he really enjoyed this park and the trails.

I wasn't sure I was going to post anything having only met Brian briefly a couple of times but after reading all of the logs on this thread I thought of something that I could add. The best I can do is to offer my condolences to all of you that knew him and whom he called friends, I am truly saddened for you and at the same time relieved for him that he is no longer in such pain. I can add a story though that might bring a smile to your faces, at least I hope it does.

It was almost 2 years ago now. jcar had related to me that he and Allanon were in need of a cache to be placed for a certain map in order to complete the Snohomish County Thomas Guide Challenge. I looked at the map in question and found an area that I thought would be a good place for a cache and took it upon myself to place one there. A few days before I placed the cache I was on a cache run in Monroe and decided to go and find his cache in front of his house. At the time I didn't know that is where it was but when I pulled up and saw his jeep in the driveway with Geocaching and WSGA stickers on it I figured that is where I must be.

When he first placed the cache he had put it in the ground and placed a flower pot over it. I think he must have failed to realize that flower pots have holes in the bottom of them and so every time he watered the flowers all of the excess water drained through the pot directly into the cache. The cachers who had been there before me had placed a travel bug in the cache that was a medium sized plushie, stuffed animal and it was thoroughly soaked with water. Not wanting to just leave it like that I decided to go knock on his door and tell him what I discovered. At first the door was not answered but just as I was turning to leave the door opened. I turned around and there was Brian standing there in nothing but a pair of shorts, bare footed with no shirt on smiling and looking very much like Budha himself instead of the Allanon that I had always imagined from reading the Shanara books. It was all I could do not to chuckle.

I explained to him what I had found in his cache and we chatted for a bit more before I told him that he might soon be able to complete the map that he needed for the SCTGC. A few days later the cache published and he went out and found it right away. Here's his log:

September 17, 2008 by Allanon (2574 found)

N 47° 46.890 W 122° 07.166

WooHoo...FTF!!!...errr, ummm...Fifth to Find!

I also parked at the closer coords making it about a .3 round trip walk. Much better for my sore feet and legs than the mile from the posted parking coords.

Arrived at GZ to also find the coords bouncing around quite a bit, but I obediently followed the GPSr where it led me for 5-10 minutes before putting it away and looking around. Spotted a likely looking item and checked it out and sure enough that's where it was. I signed the log and took a couple coins to move along...I also took a few new coords sets just in case they might help others.

Oh, and the squirrels must not be liking all these people visiting their 'space' because I could hear them but not see them...but they were throwing things at me...I kept hearing stuff crashing through the branches and hitting the ground. Luckily they're not very good shots...LOL...

Thanks you FobesMan for helping my Snohomish County Thomas Guide Challenge efforts with this cache that actually fits the requirement of this page...pg 477 complete.

TFTH!!!

From that log and the brief time I spent talking to him I came to understand what all of you have related to in this thread. That he was truely a nice guy and a valued friend to those that knew him. RIP Brian! I am sure that all of the caches you are finding now are great ones.

I find it is still through tears that I try to write this so I will go ahead and do so. I enjoyed all the times spent caching and visiting with Brian. He gave so much to each event, cache machine, WSGA Board, tours of caches in his home town. Brian was a special friend, always willing to help. I will never forget the look on a ladie's face as Brian, Lucy and I emerged from the bushes near her picnic table after stealthily finding a cache. I just wish I had given him a hug when I last saw him. He loved hugs and I will forever regret not taking the last opportunity I had to give him one. A hard lesson learned.

I chatted several times years ago via email over WSGA issues from our then home in California. We later met him at several CMs and had only the shortest of chats but I knew from the first contact that this was a very fine individual. Subsequent chats only confirmed this. Sorry to hear this news.

A memorial event is a wonderful idea. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Further, a few concerned and caring members of this awesome community are curious as to what will happen to Allanon's owned caches. Some queries have come my way. We (with one particular geocacher especially) are working with the family on answering those questions quietly; as you can imagine, the family has other matters to think about right now too. Stay tuned.

A memorial event is a wonderful idea. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Further, a few concerned and caring members of this awesome community are curious as to what will happen to Allanon's owned caches. Some queries have come my way. We (with one particular geocacher especially) are working with the family on answering those questions quietly; as you can imagine, the family has other matters to think about right now too. Stay tuned.

I am sure that for the time being his caches can stay the way they are and the community can do maintenance on them till the family can take care of their other pressing matters.

Thanks for the update.

This evening was the first time I have had to look at the forums for quite a while. You can not imagine how shocked I was when I open the topic of Allanon and read the sad new of Brian's passing.

Brian seemed to be alway there at events. He would put the effort to travel many miles in all kinds of weather just to socialize with his fellow cachers. One comes to mind when he showed up in Wenatchee, and they had to drive over the pass in the snow. I am sure Brain was at every cache maching I have been to. One of my best memories was the time Brian, Little Blue and Andrewrj came over to join a local group in the crossing of the Wenatchee River (wading in waist to chest deep water) going after "Pinball", a cache on an island in the Wenatchee River.

Brain may be gone but we all will have many fond memories. -G-

Brian's family just sent an email this evening that said: "Please join us for a potluck Memorial for Brian Parkhurst on Wednesday, Aug 4th 5:30-8:30pm at St. Edward State Park in Kenmore." The email also said, "Please feel free to pass the word."

Edited by grossi

For those in the northern part of the state or southern BC that won't be able to attend the memorial for Brian in Kenmore on Wednesday, Tee King (Pyewacket) and I are inviting you to join us at Sumas Park in Sumas, WA on Wednesday, August 4 at 3:30 pm to celebrate Brian's life and share some happy memories of him.

For those in the northern part of the state or southern BC that won't be able to attend the memorial for Brian in Kenmore on Wednesday, Tee King (Pyewacket) and I are inviting you to join us at Sumas Park in Sumas, WA on Wednesday, August 4 at 3:30 pm to celebrate Brian's life and share some happy memories of him.

I've also invited his many, many online friends to light a candle and whisper a happy memory of The Froomlord at four o'clock Pacific time tomorrow.

I've also invited his many, many online friends to light a candle and whisper a happy memory of The Froomlord at four o'clock Pacific time tomorrow.

I wish I were going to be able to attend either event, but mom duties are trumping most everything this summer. :) I won't be able to light a candle at four, but I will light up my GPS for Brian.

I won't be able to respond on Facebook to Tee's request to join, but I will be thinking of you all this afternoon. Brian has crossed my thoughts many times over the last week or so since I heard the news.

I can't respond on F'book because I am using my cousin's computer and she is on F'book and I don't want to mess up her use of it by logging her off and logging me in.