Allanon

grossi

I know many of you will be deeply saddened by the news that Brian Parkhurst passed away this morning after a brief illness. His brother Kevin asks that any cards and remembrances of Brian be sent to the family at his address:

Kevin Parkhurst

10819 107th Place NE

Kirkland, WA 98033

it was nice to see him make it to GW8. Quiet guy, but always nice to talk the few times I ran into him. My thoughts are with his family

PS. I'll just share a little story now that I'm at home and on the computer about how I came to meet allanon and our meeting after that. I think it was one of my first few posts and I was asking something kind of stupid I'm sure. I was new to geocaching and didn't know this from that. He had a quick remark and I was thinking, people already hate me and I'm not even to my 10th find, great! So my first impression was not the best, but it's the internet, whatever. My first time running into him was at the centralia cache machine and we were headed for GCH9DY. Him and TotemLake were at the bottom in their rig chuckling and B+L and I, who wanted to go for it. They had no intentions of hiking up the hill and thought it was even better when Brian and I were going to go straight up it. Right then I knew this guy wasn't all I thought he was, lol.

The last time I ran into him was at GW8. We were both working the WSGA booth. Both of us were in the back of the tent handing shirts over to the other volunteers selling them and talking here and there. He asked about my washington coin collection and if I needed this or that. I told him what I had, but he couldn't help me out that he could think of. We finished up our couple of hours and he was off on the crutches, which I told him I loathed since I had to do a couple of weeks in them.

Nice guy for sure and it sounds like he's touched many lives. Thanks for posting the pictures and stories everyone :blink:

Edited by NWCREW

Wow, this is just terrible news. Brian was one of the most genuine people I knew, and I enjoyed the few times we were able to get together. He will be missed. His family will be in our prayers.

:blink:

Here's Brian cooking up some grub for a group of tired snowshoers.

13562b40-4b03-4d7f-a1df-2893a0d06098.jpg

Edited by Criminal

What a very very sad time this is for Brian's many friends, for his family and for those of us who kept him (always) in our thoughts and prayers. My heart aches but I believe Brian is now at peace and free from pain - for that I am very grateful.

I'm really stunned by this news, although I know that Brian hadn't been doing well of late. He will be deeply, deeply missed, and remembered as an active and contributing member of our little community. My best memories of him are from various events including Cache Machines as well as group cache outings to places like the Middle Fork Snoqualmie. Rest in peace, Brian.

Wow. Just saw this on Moun10Bike's FB page. I had no idea and I guess being this far away that's not surprising.

Brian was a great guy and one of the first few PNW folks that I had the pleasure of meeting, hiking and trading coins and goodies with way back when.

Sad, sad news.

I'm so saddened by this news. :) The last time I saw Brian was at GeoWoodstock, and he didn't look well, but I never expected this. He was a great guy and huge asset to the geocaching community, most recently as an officer and webmaster for WSGA. I will always remember the group hikes we did together, and like Flutey, I hope he's chasing a great 5/5 in the sky. Rest in peace, Brian, you will be missed.

One of my favorite memories: Brian with #1000 at Lord Hill on 9/16/06.

37408ac2-808b-4e2f-840b-50ce6c4672d7.jpg

I wanted to post here, but I don't really know what to say at the moment. I'm too upset. I've spent a lot of time crying this morning. I'm so sad to think that I won't ever see or talk to or hug Brian again.

Ok, I'm posting a bunch of pictures now, sorry. Call it therapy. :)

146e7041-ddf0-4659-8d11-20e58ca94818.jpg

c498615a-26ef-4175-84b7-7825bb1940fa.jpg

6a7c2859-84e3-498e-96fe-f7e9c2fdc08d.jpg

6ca7b6c3-abfa-4bce-b11c-522828ce5983.jpg

d74057ab-9c07-4eac-882c-73171138709a.jpg

132bab6f-face-4a4e-a1e8-33f05e35a5fa.jpg

c928d291-5bba-40c8-8719-2c373f9f8bc0.jpg

As I posted in the WSGA forum, Brian did quite a bit for geocaching and he will be missed. I recall the stories that Criminal mentioned where he would show up for the snow shoe hike, but stay at the trailhead so the hikers had hot food when they returned. He was that kind of a guy.

:) What sad news. Brian and I used to play games in OT from time to time and I met him just once (at our shooting event) but he left an indelible impression on my heart: Instantly he was my friend. Such a sweet sweet spirit and one of the kindest people I've ever met. Brian was always in a good mood and I liked that about him. As Crim said, his family is in our prayers.

A few pics from the event:

3896e4fd-967e-44bc-b3a8-10cf10dfb294.jpg

513da4b9-0def-40d7-8933-6373cd75e4e9.jpg

59acb06f-2830-4b80-98ad-0c8ef7950fa7.jpg

a2466abc-6004-481e-b350-b68a70fd1cd9.jpg

This is all I can post for now before I bust down. His FTF log on my cache. I enjoyed his friendship.

July 5, 2005 11:30am...When I saw TotemLake's announcement about this cache in the forum and then looked at the cache page, I knew what I was going to do for lunch at 11:00! I never in a million years thought I'd even get a chance to attempt this cache...since it was my understanding that it was going to be on the top of a mountain somewhere. Low and behold, there it was in the very park TL 'showed the ropes' to a pair of novices that were LittleBlue and myself.

Knowing what kind of fantastic treasures were contained within (from seeing a lot of them at the WSGA Pizza event a few months back), I knew I'd better not wait until after work to try this, so off I went with the GPSr, my hat, my swag and my trusty broom-handle hiking/pokey stick. I also knew from my previous encounters in this park that the sats are not very friendly, and they didn't disappoint me today either. But when I'd lose signal, I just moved a bit, poked a bit, held it up and then re-triangulated again. Finally I heard that beloved 'thunk' and knew I'd found it.

Took: Ray&Rose and Santa Cruz County Geocachers geocoins.

Left: Unactivated USA '05 and Texas geocoins, and a Signal antenna ball.

I never got a chance to meet Snickers, but I know we would have been friends. I also know what it's like to lose a furry member of your family and my heart goes out to TL and his family.

Thank you the instruction you provided to LB and I, TotemLake, and for the cache!!!

How sad. I ran into Brian from time to time just doing normal non-geocaching things here in Monroe. He was always cheerful, kind, and friendly. He lived very close to where one of my daughters used to live. I had been seeing him less and less lately, but noticed in some of the pictures from the Carnation event that he did not look well. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends who now have a big hole in their lives. Brian? I am sure he is off enjoying the difficulty 5+'s which lie beyond this life. He will always be missed.

My friend Ambrosia just called me with this sad news. I see that I'm in two of the group photos that she posted. Remembering those happy days in Allanon's company brought a smile to my face amidst the sadness.

I saw Allanon briefly at GeoWoodstock a few weekends ago. I regret not talking to him at the Friday evening event - I figured I would "catch up with him later." Now there will be a wait until that happens.

In the Bible, Moses tells us to "number our days aright." It is not about the number of days we live, but how we live our number of days. Allanon touched a good number of people from the worldwide geocaching community, including this soul stuck in a Cincinnati hotel room.

It's not about the numbers, except for that number of people.

My friend Ambrosia just called me with this sad news. I see that I'm in two of the group photos that she posted. Remembering those happy days in Allanon's company brought a smile to my face amidst the sadness.

I saw Allanon briefly at GeoWoodstock a few weekends ago. I regret not talking to him at the Friday evening event - I figured I would "catch up with him later." Now there will be a wait until that happens.

In the Bible, Moses tells us to "number our days aright." It is not about the number of days we live, but how we live our number of days. Allanon touched a good number of people from the worldwide geocaching community, including this soul stuck in a Cincinnati hotel room.

It's not about the numbers, except for that number of people.

I remember this sentiment well, sir.. and I am sure that those who knew Brian feel the same as we all did when Eric passed. I, too, only knew Brian from the forums, but I knew from those who knew him personally what an amazing man he was...

I was fortunate to cache in Brian's back yard so I had many opportunities to run in to Brian on the trail and at events. Brian was that sage when I first started who I always knew would answer any question. After a couple years of meeting on the trail I started a new job and to my surprise the first person I run into is Brian. Not only were we at the same company but we were in the same department and had the same boss. So for the next 18 months I got to know Brian really well. We had a couple lunch time adventures picking up DNF's and a cache or to two when we got lucky. No matter how Brian was feeling he always had time to help someone.

Like most I was really shocked when my boss pulled me out of a meeting to give me the news. I've sat at this blog for two hours reading the thought of others and trying to pull it together enough to put something on paper. I think Brian would be surprised to know how many hearts he touched. He really was that big teddy bear that has a crispy outside and a soft center. I appreciated how genuine he was. You always knew where he stood on an issue. There wasn't any gray...

One way or another I know I will see you on the trail whether it's finding one of your caches that I have yet to discover or finding a "Brian would like this one" cache. So my friend rest in peace. You've left your mark and we are better for knowing you. I know you will be missed but not forgotten.

God Bless

Joel

I've been crying on and off since I heard the news. Brian was such a good friend and fun fellow to cache with and talk too. I regret not taking chances over the last few years to get to know him better.

Thanks to Ambrosia for posting all the great photos. I'll add one of mine from the Luau to the mix.

Jennifer

79b61f96-ff44-409d-861c-adc45c78d89e.jpg

I first met Brian when I was a seasoned cacher of a hundred finds and he had just started, I can't imagine going to an event in the NW and not seeing him there. He would be there even on the hiking ones and even when he couldn't make the hike. Some times he would do part of it and then turn around and wait for us at the trail head or even meet with us at the local watering hole after wards. He will be some one I will truly miss.

I remember Brian as a teacher, always there at events and online to answer our silly questions (like, really, how does GSAK work?) I'll always have fond memories of Brian, especially at the WSGA campouts at Lake Chelan, Port Townsend and here in Spokane. We'll miss ya buddy,

Anne (YA)

Here's a pic of Brian teaching an impromptu GSAK Class at the Spokane WSGA Campout in 2008. The Inland Empire Cachers were thrilled to have an expert on hand to teach us the basics, and beyond.

440e6e35-7b68-444a-80dd-d4236a766866.jpg

Brian will be missed by many of us. I haven't been around as much the last year or maybe two, but I always enjoyed the time I spent talking with him on the forums, and in messages. I will miss him dearly. I wish I didn't live so far from there. My heart goes out to all his family and friends.