Video for puzzle cache?

wadazi

Yes, I've seen it done... It was this cache, now archived, also the owner has now removed the video link from Youtube:

"Watch, Seek, Discover"

It seemed to work very well, judging by the logs received.

One point to remember: The Guidelines for placing a cache state that there must be use of a GPS to find the location so you have to make sure that you set it up so that somewhere in the hunt that usage is essential e.g. perhaps the walk-in from your vehicle to the point where the video starts giving clues. You might need to speak to your reviewer about what's required.

MrsB

I had a conversation about this with my local reviewer this week.

It used to be against the guidelines to link to YouTube, on the basis of YouTube being a commercial site that accepts advertising.

That has been relaxed. Now, as long as the video itself is not deemed to be commercial, links to YouTube are fine.

Regarding this:

You may even be able to embed it in the cache page using the html editor. Although when you submit the cache page, the site often edits some stuff, so may not work.

I personally have had precisely zero success trying to embed the video into the cache description. I've tried a handful of different methods and tags and they all get wiped out by the Groundspeak servers. There may be a way to do it, but if so I haven't stumbled across it yet.

Good luck.

last i heard was that the CO had to put a disclaimer in the cache description to get it published. not sure if that's still a requirement.

If you link to a non-YouTube video, yes, you have to add the standard Groundspeak disclaimer.

If you link to YouTube, you don't. The difference being that a YouTube link generally doesn't point to a file that could hide malicious code.

I came across this one while solving another puzzle cache created by the same CO (MonkeyBrad). It includes a video as part of the puzzle but since I haven't solved it I don't know how much the video is relevant to solving the puzzle. It looks like a great puzzle cache though and it's a 5/5 so I suspect that it requires a boat to access the final location.

McGuffin's Bluff