Two for the price of one

Was looking for a micro today and found it. Then I found another one very similar to it not many feet away. I reviewed old logs and see the original cache had gone missing and was replaced in Oct'09. I think I probably found the "missing" original and the replacement.

Ever happen to you?

Should I count it as two finds? (just kidding).

Edited by lee_rimar

Was looking for a micro today and found it. Then I found another one very similar to it not many feet away. I reviewed old logs and see the original cache has gone missing and was replaces in Oct'09. I think I probably found the "missing" original and the replacement.

Ever happen to you?

It hasn't happened to me yet! Good for you for finding two for the price of one. I have to say, once I find a cache, I don't always stick around to explore. Of course it depends on where and when.

Was looking for a micro today and found it. Then I found another one very similar to it not many feet away. I reviewed old logs and see the original cache has gone missing and was replaces in Oct'09. I think I probably found the "missing" original and the replacement.

Ever happen to you?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of my 20th find I found something like this.

It was an old abandoned electrical box with a logsheet inside and a bison tube tucked behind it. People were signing both logs so I did too.

Once I replaced a cache of my own because it was reported missing and I couldn't find it. Then a year later I found it had been there all along.

Another time I found a cache that was supposedly really really difficult, only to realize it had been 'replaced' by a cacher a week before. When I complained about it in the online log and used the 'c' word (ch**ting), I was promptly chewed out by the replacer's cousin. I would have tried to find the original but it really didn't sound like it was that rewarding anyway, just a pain to get.

But then another time the exact thing you describe happened. I found a cache and marveled that it had not been logged (the physical log) for a year. Then looking online showed that it was presumed missing and replaced. 46 people found the replacement and none reported seeing the original. The owner didn't believe me until I described it to him.

We found a really hard one and I remember reading someone's log that said he signed both logs in both altoid cans..... so I told hubby that I think there might be another one. He reached further and just barely nicked it with his finger and found it. I contacted the CO to tell him we'd found it. I have had a few instances where we've found something that is WAAAYYY harder than the CO intended. The reason I can tell, is by reading early logs. WHY ON EARTH do some cachers decide to hide things harder than they found it??? I get it if it's laying out in the open, but not just to increase difficulty. There was an example of a 1:1 and I just couldn't find it, emailed CO and he said it was in the tree hanging. Went back and it was really high in the tree, I had to climb about 12 feet up into the tree to retrieve it. It was supposed to be within arms reach...: ( (it was really fun though) but I digress, this could be a whole other topic!

Once I found matching gladware containers next to each other. One was the original and the other was a replacement container placed by the CO. Very strange. Signed both logs. Claimed one find. :blink:

Was that in Portland? Cuz I found that exact thing down near the Willamette River.

Once I found matching gladware containers next to each other. One was the original and the other was a replacement container placed by the CO. Very strange. Signed both logs. Claimed one find. :blink:

Was that in Portland? Cuz I found that exact thing down near the Willamette River.

Nope. It was along Hwy 410 in Washington outside of Enumclaw.

Ever happen to you?

How ironic. This happened to m, yesterday. I found the original cache container, which was a mess and the new clean container with log and swag. I posted the photos on the cache sheet. It is GC12A53.

We found one like that... A so-called 'tradional'. At ground zero, if you lift the fence post cap, it says 'Nope. Try again." So I went 30' to the next fence post, lifted the cap, and found the cache. My sister was at GZ, and found the original at the bottom of the fence post. We signed both. CO removed one of the caches.

Also happened to one of mine. You are supposed to be able to see it from the parked car! Someone rehid it 'better', and I couldn't find it. I replaced it, and the next cacher found two caches. Oh, well.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

Happened to me sort of. A cache I had found started getting nothing but DNFs. The owner said he couldn't get there to fix it so I volunteered to replace it for him. With his blessing I went to the site and sure enough, the original was not in its hiding place so I put out a new container.

People were happily finding the new container, then suddenly finders started making references a container and swag that didn't match the container I had left. Then some logs mentioned what sounded like my container.

Curious, I went back and found the original container but not the one I left. I did a little more digging under the rocks and unearthed my container. They were within 2 feet of each other and both were hidden so well that anyone who found one was unlikely to notice the other.

Yeah, I've also had that experience a few times. One was GCK4MY, A Kick in the Caboose in Tombstone, AZ. Another was in St Cloud, MN, caching with a couple of other guys. One of us found a cache under a lamp skirt, and at almost the same second, we found another at the base of a small spruce tree near the lamp post.

I had an ammo can hide that went missing. I went out to check on it and couldn't find it so I placed a new ammo can and didn't think more about it. A while later I got a log from someone who said they found two ammo cans. Seems mother nature was playing tricks on us. The can was hidden in the exposed roots of a tree growing on the edge of an eroded feild. The mud washing through the roots had burried the original. A few more rains had exposed it again.

We had recently looked for one out on the east coast hidden in a jetty of large rocks. Apparently the ocean waves had deposited a big steel thermos bottle in the rocks not too far from where the cache was actually hidden. People started finding the thermos and thinking that was the cache, began to leave swag and TBs in it. At some point, someone must have added a log too. So after a very short time this bit flotsam evolved into a full fledged cache. A few people were still finding the original cache but it was better hidden than the thermos. The CO had left a note on the cache page to anyone looking for this cache to please remove the thermos, but it continued to exist for some time in spite of the note. We usually do read the cache page so when we found the thermos we kept looking for the original cache and were able to combine the two into one, taking the thermos out with us.

Doubledecker caches. Seen a few of them.

A spot of bother at a cache location I took over after the prior cache (and all of the CO's other caches) was hastily archived as he departed geocaching for personal reasons.

Reviewer's word was Thou shalt not use the same container without the other cacher's consent - as the other geocacher effectively terminated his relationship with geocaching in a rather terse (to put it mildly) manner, it was safe to assume the cache containers were all destined to become Geotrash.

I claimed two locations, retrieving the prior cache containers and moving contents, sans logs, to new containers. All well and good.

Alas, someone put an old container at the site of a new cache (a very unique hide location) which caused some confusion. Had to fetch it this weekend. Also, someone damaged the new cache container (I don't think it was the original CO, can't see a reason he'd even care) so I had to whip up a quick replacement.

We have a cache in our town that has two containers, one is an old glad container that is wet and yucky inside, and the other is a camo-taped large lock n lock that is in good condition. Of course when we found the cache my son wanted to look in both and chose his trade item from the slimy one (it was an un-opened McD's toy, the toy itself was not slimed) I left our trade item in the clean one. I am not sure why the cache owner hasn't removed the slimy one. All the logs say that there are two containers there....

This has happened to us several times. Once my wife and I found the same guardrail cache at the same time, in the same place. We each reached in and pulled out two different caches.

Another time the cache owner replaced a missing cache. We found the original as we were returning the replacement cache to it's hiding spot.

The strangest one was when another cacher and I were way out in the desert. There were many rock piles 10 to 20 feet high. I climbed one while my partner searched around the base. After awhile we switched places. We yelled "got it" at the same time and each of us pulled out a cache. In all cases we signed them both and let the cache owner know the situation.

Kinda

I was doing the Arboretum Tour at UCF and racing another group of 3 for time. Basically they found the "new" cache which had just been placed as a replacement for the other one that had gone missing.

My group found the "missing" cache, which I later went back to retrieve and give to the CO.

The kicker was that, there was a mystery Final Cache that needed coords from Popsicle sticks placed in the caches (which had gone missing and were JUST placed back out around the time they placed this replacement cache out).

So basically I had to go back to this cache location (the worst and hardest of the tour) and find it AGAIN in a close but deeper in location, just to get the final Popsicle stick for the Final mystery cache.

Getting the first find on that mystery cache in over a year made it all worth it though.