How far can I place a cache from my house?

SES88

We are planning on camping about 75mls away from our home. We camp there a few times a year. We have another couple of geocachers that also camp there, so they would be able to get to them(caches) if we couldn't.

We would like to deposit several caches(6).

Does anyone know what the miles from home rule is?

Please and Thank You!

There is no hard and fast rule. Some people have caches hundreds, and even thousands of miles from home and have no problem maintaining them. Long distance truckers, airline pilots, frequent travelers and the like.

Some people have difficulty maintaining a cache 3 blocks from their house.

If your reviewer sees that you live more than an hour or two away from the cache site he will ask you how you plan to maintain it.

You also need to ask yourself two questions. Can you get there within a reasonable amount of time if problems are reported? By reasonable I mean within 2-3 weeks. And if you can't get there in a reasonable amount of time is there someone who can do it for you? If you can answer yes to either of those questions then go for it. If you can't then let the locals place the caches and when you visit, have fun finding them.

Edited by briansnat

It depends on the reviewer. I once submitted a cache about a 5 hour drive from my home and got denied. Even after explaining to the reviewer that I own a house in the area, travel there on a monthly basis and the cache was in sight of a friend's home who agreed to maintain the cache if necessary the reviewer turned me down. The reviewer said my friend should get an account and list it herself. I don't need to deal with that kind of nit picking control freak reasoning so the cache was removed.

It depends on the reviewer. I once submitted a cache about a 5 hour drive from my home and got denied. Even after explaining to the reviewer that I own a house in the area, travel there on a monthly basis and the cache was in sight of a friend's home who agreed to maintain the cache if necessary the reviewer turned me down. The reviewer said my friend should get an account and list it herself. I don't need to deal with that kind of nit picking control freak reasoning so the cache was removed.

Sad for you, but pretty funny how much variance there can be between reviewers.

I have 6 caches that are 1700 miles from my home. I placed 2 caches every year when I was there on vacation. I have a cacher friend that lives there, and he agreed to help with any maintenance and he had to email the reviewer to confirm the maintenance issue.