Lost 2 TB's on vacation..

and I feel like a real jerk. I picked these TB's up to specifically move them to the Outer Banks in NC but on the trip down there the bag they were in was accidentally left at a gas station. It was at the border station on the NC/VA border on US 168 which was our last stop before going to the OBX's. My wife set the bag either on the ground or the boat when she was making the kids some food. When I got out of the store I just got in the van with out doing my usual walk around. I guess after a flat tire and 13 hours on the road I just let that slip. We have called there but nobody turned any thing in. We checked again on our way out but no luck. If you stop by that way look for a black travel bag as it could be laying on the southbound side of the road.

With that said I have privately apologized to the owners of the TB's and would like to publicly apologize also. I am extremely sorry this happened. and as I said in the email I am willing to replace the TB's.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

It happens. Heck I have even lost my own travelers. (and gps)

Travel bugs can be re-released so don't lose to much sleep over it.

I do appreciate you 'fessing up so the owners don't have to wonder what might have happened.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I lost a TB (yellow Volkswagen Matchbox type car). I asked the owner to send me the copy tag and I purchased similar Volkswagen, attached it and sent it on its way.

A month later the original turned up so I mailed it to the owner. Now at least he has a backup ready to go.

I've misplaced them. My desk at home is a personal source of embarrassment, it's so cluttered. One was buried under desk clutter and I didn't realize I still had it for about 10 months. Got it back out there, pronto, once I did locate it. Nice having this inventory list, now.

More recently I had two trackables ready to go up to Washington or Oregon and couldn't find them in my Mystery Pack (Mystery: Pack weighs 0.25 lb. Add 2 lbs of stuff and it weighs 10 lbs. I think it fell out of the Dungeons and Dragons universe through a hole) Again, sitting right on my keyboard when I got home. :) At least they were out, I just forgot to grab them as I stuffed things into my pack, bag, computer bag, etc. as I was getting ready to leave.

So far none permanently lost and trying to keep that streak going as long as possible.

I haven't actually lost one, but I thought I did once. I dropped it on the floor of my car and couldn't find it for a week. I thought it fell out onto the ground. I got all ready to write the trackable owner a big apologetic letter (it was a beautiful coin) about losing it, and how I would replace it or pay them for it, etc; when I decided to look in my car one more time... and it was under the floormat. Phew!

I can understand how you feel. I was devastated when I thought I lost that coin... how nice of you to be honest and admit it!!

and I feel like a real jerk. I picked these TB's up to specifically move them to the Outer Banks in NC but on the trip down there the bag they were in was accidentally left at a gas station. It was at the border station on the NC/VA border on US 168 which was our last stop before going to the OBX's. My wife set the bag either on the ground or the boat when she was making the kids some food. When I got out of the store I just got in the van with out doing my usual walk around. I guess after a flat tire and 13 hours on the road I just let that slip. We have called there but nobody turned any thing in. We checked again on our way out but no luck. If you stop by that way look for a black travel bag as it could be laying on the southbound side of the road.

With that said I have privately apologized to the owners of the TB's and would like to publicly apologize also. I am extremely sorry this happened. and as I said in the email I am willing to replace the TB's.

Thanks,

Steve

I don't think that highway US 168 crosses the NC/VA border.

Thanks,

Steve

I don't think that highway US 168 crosses the NC/VA border.

You are correct it is not a US route but a VA-route. I guess it's called VA-168.

Here is a local cache map click here

It's the road that takes you to the Outer Banks from the norfolk/va beach area off of I-64.

I've been feeling bad because one of my geocaches is missing with 2 travelers I placed in it. 1 is a proxy so I'm not quite as upset about that one since another one could be made. But I still feel bad. I'm hoping that I can get the cache back because it wasn't stolen. It was sitting in a fake gondola in front of a restraunt and the owner decided to change the landscaping and have the boat removed. He forgot about the geocache under the seat. He thinks the guy was going to take it to his house and try to fix it up, so I’m hoping that’s what he did. But it’s been a couple of days and I haven’t heard back. I wrote the owners of the travelers letting them know I’d contact them as soon as I knew anything, but it was distressing. Even more so because they have been in there for awhile and I though about taking them when I checked the cache about a week before, but I didn’t. I’d been ill and not able to cache much and I didn’t want to hold on to them for 2 long when I just wasn’t sure I could move them fast. I’m not sure why they stayed in there so long, the cache had several visitors but no one picked them up.

That’s my confession. I also misplaced a coin for about a week once, but I knew it was around here. My almost 3 year old is great at hiding coins from me, but they are usually one’s I own. Today I got some great butterfly coins in the mail and I let him hold one while I got my camera. I wasn’t watching for about 30 seconds and he calls out. “Mama help me find the butterfly.” I asked him where it went… “It flew away.” I still haven’t found the thing. I’m also missing 2 other coins that I want to add to my collection, but can’t. I hope the coins show up.

Shoot...... I came back from caching yesterday and lost the bag of TBs that I had. :lol:

I had placed the bag on the desk and skillfully hid it in plain sight. I spent 20 minutes retracing my steps, unpacking my pack, going through the cargo pockets on my shorts, trying to remember if I had possibly left it at a cache..... only to see it right here on the scanner when I sat down to start logging the finds. :blink:

WHEW!!!! :lol:

I haven't actually lost one, but I thought I did once. I dropped it on the floor of my car and couldn't find it for a week. I thought it fell out onto the ground. I got all ready to write the trackable owner a big apologetic letter (it was a beautiful coin) about losing it, and how I would replace it or pay them for it, etc; when I decided to look in my car one more time... and it was under the floormat. Phew!

I can understand how you feel. I was devastated when I thought I lost that coin... how nice of you to be honest and admit it!!

Heh, I did this once with my wedding ring. I was out on a multi month work trip and had a rental car. One day I noticed my wedding ring was gone. I searched the car, hotel, office, grocery store I last shopped at - everywhere. I couldn't find it. A month later I was returning the rental and decided to check out the car one last time for anything I forgot. reached under the drivers seat and immediately felt the ring. Phew :blink:

Heh, I did this once with my wedding ring. I was out on a multi month work trip and had a rental car. One day I noticed my wedding ring was gone. I searched the car, hotel, office, grocery store I last shopped at - everywhere. I couldn't find it. A month later I was returning the rental and decided to check out the car one last time for anything I forgot. reached under the drivers seat and immediately felt the ring. Phew :lol:

Are you really admitting to "losing" your wedding ring?

Read closer -- rental car, hotel, "work" trip... Anything else you would like to say (as I don my Roman Collar)? :blink::lol:

---------------------

Back on topic -- I had lost a geocoin once. Only to find it again in the jeans back pocket after doing the laundry... and that is all I will admit to! :D

Thanks,

Steve

If I recall correctly, there at least used to be a cache at the NC/VA border there so perhaps another cacher will find them. I don't know if the cache is still at the site of the GraveDigger monster truck but *that* would have been my last stop on the way to the OBX.

I couple of years ago I brought a few trackables with me to Maine and dropped them into a neat cache near a lighthouse that wasn't far from where we were staying. A couple of weeks later I got a message from the coin owner of one of them indicating that a couple of subsequent finders of the cache didn't see the coin. About 10 month later I was going to a wedding, put on a sport coat and discovered the coin in one of the pockets. As it turned out, we had planned another vacation in Maine for a couple of weeks later so I brought the coin with me and dropped it into a newer cache that was very close to the one that I thought I had dropped it in a year before. I apologized profusely to the coin owner but the coin is still active and is currently in North Carolina.

I can't believe this but my wife has found the TB's we thought we lost!!!I guess she had put them in another bag and this bag had a hole in it and they were in the bottom of the bag. Sorry i started all this but I truely thought we lost them. I do feel better though and now we can move them on like we planned!!! After a disastrous vacation this is one bright spot for sure!!

Edited by Team_Searchgeo