Issue getting coords!

First of all I bought this container... is it a regular or small?jpg-1.jpgdgfdgfdgf.jpg

Secondly, I wanted to place this on an island I always visited as a child with my friends. It's in a creek about .5 of a mile to a mile wide. The water is up to your chest. The issue with this is my GPS is not waterproof. How do I get the coordinates? I don't have a boat... I don't want to hold it above my head because sometimes the water goes up to my neck and even my mouth! What should I do? Should I just not place it there?

Secondly, I wanted to place this on an island I always visited as a child with my friends. It's in a creek about .5 of a mile to a mile wide. The water is up to your chest. The issue with this is my GPS is not waterproof. How do I get the coordinates? I don't have a boat... I don't want to hold it above my head because sometimes the water goes up to my neck and even my mouth! What should I do? Should I just not place it there?

I would say wait till the creek was low or till you could buy or borrow a boat. Just Remember when you place it you have to maintain it.

As for the size I would say a Large Small or a Small Regular.... :)

Edited by sdrawkcab

It's a medium....oh yea we don't have that option. When in doubt I bump mine down. Due to that being a cylinder some stuff will be hard to get in and out. I'd call it a small (and let others now it's on the large end). Or you can call it a regular (and saw it may be on the small end), which I've seen a good bit.

Okay, I'm going to list it as a small. I think my best bet would be not bother putting it on the island. I don't want to let my GPS anywhere near the water. If I get a boat or something then I'll think about it... But until then I'm not risking it even with a waterproof container... Thanks!

Okay, I'm going to list it as a small. I think my best bet would be not bother putting it on the island. I don't want to let my GPS anywhere near the water. If I get a boat or something then I'll think about it... But until then I'm not risking it even with a waterproof container... Thanks!

there is no risk with waterproof containers, you can get a pouch instead its cheaper

http://www.christinecolumbus.com/images/products/E125.jpg

it will also come in handy when its raining

i use a really cheap one from dollar store to put my car keys and other knickknacks i might take, it dipped in the water and all stayed dry inside

i have a proper one for my camera though, but its still cheap at $15 off ebay, that one is good to take under water too

they are perfectly fine

Edited by t4e

First of all I bought this container... is it a regular or small?jpg-1.jpgdgfdgfdgf.jpg

The first pic makes it look huge! It goes from floor to ceiling! It is about five times as tall as your cat!

The second pic scared me even more! your hand is massive!

:blink:

Edited by brslk
I don't want to let my GPS anywhere near the water.

What kind of GPSr do you use? Most handhelds are pretty darn water resistant, claiming an IPX7 rating. As I understand it, an IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. If you put it in some sort of waterproof container, you'll be fine.

Where I come from, creeks are not .5 - 1 mile wide. That sounds like a large river. Try the waterproof container. I just did a cache on an island (not quite as deep water). I just used a new zipplock and made sure there was some air in there (kind of like a balloon) so that there was possitive pressure in the bag. Even if there was a small leak, it would not let water in. That may not work if you fell in and had to swim, but if kept from being submirged, it should work fine.

Or, put it in a zip lock in a lock-n-lock. That should survive full immersion.

Most handhelds are pretty darn water resistant, claiming an IPX7 rating. As I understand it, an IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

nevermind accidental submersion, how about intentional submersion? :blink:

i took my oregon 450 on a swim through our local river yesterday and i just had it dangling from a lanyard around my neck. no problem at all with doing that.