length it's ok to hold a travel bug?

Martin Clan

I was wondering what people think is an ok length of time to hold on to a travel bug. We held one for about 8 or 9 days until we went the direction the bug was going, and we were able to get it pretty far...but I felt a little bad that we had it so long. Just wanted to hear other people feelings on this matter.

Weekends are the time that it's easiest for most people to go caching, so my rule of thumb isn't a certain number of days, but rather how many weekends.

I try to get travel bugs back into circulation within two weekends of the time I first grabbed them.

When others get MY travel bugs from a cache, I don't sweat it too much until after a month goes by. After that, unless I've gotten an e-mail (or some other indicator of what the status is), I begin to get irritated.

I think most people go geocaching on weekends. I personally don't think a week or so is too long to hold on to a TB. If it's going to be any longer than that, it would be a good idea to e-mail the travel bug owner and let them know of your intentions. I just released a travel bug yesterday (my first) and it was picked up today. Now let's hope I don't get too impatient waiting to see it show up again! icon_wink.gif

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

I think most people go geocaching on weekends. I personally don't think a week or so is too long to hold on to a TB. If it's going to be any longer than that, it would be a good idea to e-mail the travel bug owner and let them know of your intentions. I just released a travel bug yesterday (my first) and it was picked up today. Now let's hope I don't get too impatient waiting to see it show up again! icon_wink.gif

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

As has been said before, usuallly it's not how long you hold the bug, but whether you communicate your intentions to the owner. I had someone finally release Illuvian after 62 days in captivity. I had multiple communications with the bug holder, which made me feel better, but still that was a little too long, IMHO.

I would think that if the bug was going to move a significant distance (however you define that) then it would be OK to hold the bug longer than 3 weekends, but even then communicate with the owner.

But any more than 60 days is a little rude - if if you do communicate with the owner. Two of my Superfriend have been in someone's hands for over 60 days, and that just means that no one else can play with them. icon_frown.gif

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

As has been said before, usuallly it's not how long you hold the bug, but whether you communicate your intentions to the owner. I had someone finally release Illuvian after 62 days in captivity. I had multiple communications with the bug holder, which made me feel better, but still that was a little too long, IMHO.

I would think that if the bug was going to move a significant distance (however you define that) then it would be OK to hold the bug longer than 3 weekends, but even then communicate with the owner.

But any more than 60 days is a little rude - if if you do communicate with the owner. Two of my Superfriend have been in someone's hands for over 60 days, and that just means that no one else can play with them. icon_frown.gif

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

I think it would be OK to hang onto a travel bug if you did something cool with it. I travel a lot in my job. I would love to take someone's travel bug around the world with me and take photos at various landmarks. Afterward, return the travel but to another cache and post photos on the web. In my case, I would probably keep the bug out of the system for about 4-6 weeks.

Capt Prozac

quote:
Originally posted by Capt Prozac:

I would love to take someone's travel bug around the world with me and take photos at various landmarks. [...] I would probably keep the bug out of the system for about 4-6 weeks.

Capt Prozac

I think many bug owners would be thrilled to see this happen, as long as you informed them in advance, so they weren't wondering what the status was. Others, however, want their specific goals adhered to, and/or would like to see their TB pass through as many hands as possible.

In a case like this, I would recommend getting the owner's permission before taking the bug on a trip like this.

- Zuck

P.S. Any chance you'll be going to Rome (Italy) or Peterhof (Russia)? My Eensy Weensy Spider wants to visit the famous water fountains there. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Capt Prozac:

I would love to take someone's travel bug around the world with me and take photos at various landmarks. [...] I would probably keep the bug out of the system for about 4-6 weeks.

Capt Prozac

I think many bug owners would be thrilled to see this happen, as long as you informed them in advance, so they weren't wondering what the status was. Others, however, want their specific goals adhered to, and/or would like to see their TB pass through as many hands as possible.

In a case like this, I would recommend getting the owner's permission before taking the bug on a trip like this.

- Zuck

P.S. Any chance you'll be going to Rome (Italy) or Peterhof (Russia)? My Eensy Weensy Spider wants to visit the famous water fountains there. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Markwell:

I would think that if the bug was going to move a _significant_ distance (however you define that) then it would be OK to hold the bug longer than 3 weekends, but even then communicate with the owner.

Tracy and I are headed to Hawaii in early May, and contacted a bug owner because we want to grab a bug before it moves. We'd hold that bug for about five weeks. Given the distance, the owner was very happy to let the bug be held that long.

Anyone else wanting to get a bug to the islands...

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Tecmage (R&T):

Tracy and I are headed to Hawaii

Wonder Woman icon_biggrin.gif

Special cases do not make for good policy. I was going for a "standard." Yours would be the exception to the rule. Again - you've contacted the cache owner and it's extraordinary circumstances. I'd also consider Hawaii more than significant - it's downright amazing. I'd be ecstatic!

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by Tecmage (R&T):

Tracy and I are headed to Hawaii

Wonder Woman icon_biggrin.gif

Special cases do not make for good policy. I was going for a "standard." Yours would be the exception to the rule. Again - you've contacted the cache owner and it's extraordinary circumstances. I'd also consider Hawaii more than significant - it's downright amazing. I'd be ecstatic!

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

I think the original purpose of the Bug should be considered. Always communicate with the owner, this is the most important! Bugs are very distinct in their goals and instructions, so these must be considered when holding onto them. A quick rule of thumb is: if you aren't sure, contact the owner and get his/her opinion/approval. Holding Bugs isn't bad, as long as approval is received and the result is worth the time in captivity. The hardest part of being a Bug owner is not knowing where your Bug is! Just MHO.

Dark Skies!