How many coins do you have that are still traveling?

I just did a count of coins I have put out to travel here is what it looks like:

86 coins placed in caches.

63 have gone missing.

23 still traveling

Sigh . . . .

I feel your pain I do alot of traveling and like to keep coins and TB moving but 8 out of 10 caches I go to coins and TB have gone missing :)

I just did a count of coins I have put out to travel here is what it looks like:

63 have gone missing.

23 still traveling

Sigh . . . .

I have 104 activated coins. There are exactly 50 that are either known to be lost or have not been moved in over a year. 12 are not in circulation by my choice. Which means that there are 42 still out there somewhere. I suspect that more will pop up as "missing" -- some that are just inside that one year mark of not having been moved.

From time to time I get a nice surprise. One coin that I had listed as missing for more than a year was recently discovered in the wrong cache and someone took the time to make note and put it back into circulation.

I feel your pain I do alot of traveling and like to keep coins and TB moving but 8 out of 10 caches I go to coins and TB have gone missing :)

I hope that when you (and everyone!) are leaving notes on the coin/TB pages AND with the cache owners that trackables appearing online are NOT in the cache?

This can help track where/when trackables go missing much sooner and can be helpful in educating people (owners of trackables, owners of caches, new geocachers...) about how to correctly log/move/leave/discover a trackable.

As for my statistics:

46 released (4 of which were released by other cachers and adopted over to me)

11 missing

These results are pretty good, I think - only 24% missing! And I never completely give up hope, especially after some of the stories I've read in these forums about coins returning after YEARS of absence. The stories of coins/TBs fulfilling their missions also give me hope and remind me that there are attentive and respectful geocachers out there. I just hope I'm one of them.

Now, off to find some caches!

I've released 431 traveling geocoins and of those, 232 have gone missing. So I still have approximately 200 traveling, although I'm sure many of those are missing but haven't been marked as such.

But every once in a while, a geocoin that's been marked as missing will reappear. One that went missing in fall of 2006 just reappeared this past May. Who knows where it was this whole time?

I also had another coin reappear in an archived cache that the finder found while searching for another cache.

So don't give up hope that every once in a while, a coin will reappear!

oh, I know how you feel

I have 78 activated and will release some more.

Presently of the 34 that are active, 19 are in caches (I presume) --- lol ---

...and 15 are missing;

last winter, I had one show up after 18 months in the caching twilight zone...that was fun!

...I also have begun addiction recovery from collecting and need a support group

:):(:(:(:(

there's always hope,,,

Edited by Pastor_B

Sorry if this takes it a bit off topic but I think it still has some relevance to the subject... I'm looking at releasing a number of coins in the near future and I was wondering...for the coins that are still traveling did you have any kind of 'passport' attached with them or anything?

I'm just curious if that might increase the odds of a coin staying on the move or not?

I've got 60 coins traveling.

8 are gone.

They all disappeared from caches (sometimes the caches disappeared too).

27 coins are in the hands of cachers right now.

When someone is holding a coin more then two or three months I kindly send them a PM, asking if the coin is ready to travel on right now. It usealy helps to get the forgotten coins to travel on.

I drop my coins in a little plastic bag containing an adjusted, smaller print-out of the infosheet.

I don't know if that helps to prevent them from going missing, but it helps the cachers who find the coin to determine if they take the coin with them or not, depending on the goal it has.

Edited by Sivota

Sorry if this takes it a bit off topic but I think it still has some relevance to the subject... I'm looking at releasing a number of coins in the near future and I was wondering...for the coins that are still traveling did you have any kind of 'passport' attached with them or anything?

I'm just curious if that might increase the odds of a coin staying on the move or not?

All of my traveling geocoins are drilled and attached to an info tag with thin cable. While I think it might help finders with what they're supposed to do with the coin, it doesn't stop the coins from going missing, as I'm at about a 50% loss rate.

hi guys,

oh the ones i feel worst for are the ones released on behalf of others in the USA. I've had a couple placed for friends including the recent "big love little hearts" coin that have gone AWOL from their first cache!

But others are going great guns even this one showed up again after 2 years today! http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TBVCPR

So i thought i'd share the good news since i haven't stopped by for ages but today 'forced' to leave the housework due to suffering from some kiddie snot germs. serendipity :blink:

Touch wood the twin of it that we own is still travelling too and this one has even passed through a fire! http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=798078 I get enough emails from the coins i have released even though they sit for months at a time that i haven't felt the need to drop anymore. They beat our travel bugs hands down for miles and interest - I've only marked four MIA out of the dozen or so travellers in past four years which is a reasonable attrition rate.

oh yeah i use a passport thingy - i think it helps more than the drilling business - link below.

pps value for money imho i just love reading their logs as I haven't been able to cache much for aaages.

Edited by forthferalz

I have been geocaching for one year now. My first coins were released in October and I have since then sent out 43 coins. Two of them are missing. I will send out 12 more coins in the coming month.

Of course I think it's sad to find that a coin is missing but getting nice comments about the coins that are still traveling compensate for the losses. It seems to me that a beautiful coin is appreciated by the cachers that finds them and as long as I get the kind of nice response I have received so far I will let them continue traveling.

I have sent out a total of 10 in the past three or so years. I have four that have moved this year, and sadly two of the four I just placed in the last couple of months. Oh well, it is fun to see where they travel when they aren't pilfered.

I've only placed 2 geocoins, both within the past few months. Both were firmly attached to laminated info cards to help prevent theft. It doesn't seem to have worked.

They have both been reported as "not in this cache" anymore. There is a chance that someone with good intentions has the coins and is traveling or hasn't logged yet, but I'm guessing that more and more people are caching without logging with the express intent of theft. It's sad. :lol:

As an interesting side note I was recently in Europe and released several coins. From my observation the coins released in Eurpoe are moving much faster than coins I released in the states. Granted it has only been several months, but all 8 coins are moving on almost a weekly basis.

Has anyone else noticed this with coins released overses?

63 have gone missing.

23 still traveling

Sigh . . . .