Display cache names on a map

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I tried doing a search for: cache name map, but was told that I couldn't use any words under 5 characters which sucks because I can't really think of an alternative for "map" that would return any previous posts that will answer my question...

Anyhow, whenever I go caching in an area I like to have a printed map of the caches. I usually do screen shots from Geocaching.com of the area, stick them into paint and then paste the names of the caches over the top (see pic). It's so useful when I'm driving around to have that map so I can see the caches and their names.

l_1020_783_625887b5-0ed2-48b8-a76b-f977f97a14fa.jpeg

I don't mind spending the time copying and pasting maps and cache names into paint (I'm pretty quick), but I was just wondering does anyone know of any site, or software that will show you a map with the cache names over the caches that you can print off? Just to save me some time!!! I know you can have the numbers and the cache names along the side, but in a big map area that takes just as much copy and pasting to get all the names on one sheet. I just haven't been able to find anything to automatically add a bit of text to the maps...

Cheers,

Cass

GSAK with the myGME Google Maps Export does this brilliantly.

But you do have to have GSAK so it's not a free option.

Problem with any map with names is the names sit alongside the markers and if names are long they can cover neighbouring cache markers.

So I tend to use the number labels then print a list of the cache names and details (which the macro also produces), so it acts as an index for the map.

The free option is to use Firefox and then use the Lil devil script to add cache names to the google map within gc.com

The free option is to use Firefox and then use the Lil devil script to add cache names to the google map within gc.com

Thanks for the reply! I do have GSAK and have used the marco you refer to to produce the maps but couldn't seem to see the names. After reading your post I went back and had a fiddle and realised that I didn't have the Expression box ticked. I now have names on my caches and I'm over the moon!!! THANK YOU!!!

The Firefox Lil devil script sounds great too, I'll check that out! Thanks very much! :D You've probably saved me hours of fun with Microsoft Paint! :)

Edited by Cassandy

Glad to help.

The GSAK macro is the best - the cache list that prints seperately showing diff/terr and TB's is a great list to go with the map, that's why I usually only use the number tags rather then the names - keeps the map cleaner.

I had a similar eureka moment when I realised that you could import a GPX PQ file into GSAK and set it to automatically set the user flags for the GPX file and clear existing ones, then generate a map to show only the caches with user flags.

Makes preparing a map and list for the day's caching soooo much simpler.

Happy mapping ;-)

I PrtScrn the map from GC.com. Then I clean it up and print it in Paint. Finally, I use a ball-point pen to write the cache names. Low tech, but it works for me.

Thanks for the reply! I do have GSAK and have used the marco you refer to to produce the maps but couldn't seem to see the names. After reading your post I went back and had a fiddle and realised that I didn't have the Expression box ticked. I now have names on my caches and I'm over the moon!!! THANK YOU!!!

The Firefox Lil devil script sounds great too, I'll check that out! Thanks very much! :lol: You've probably saved me hours of fun with Microsoft Paint! :blink:

I do a similar thing as Cassandy. I print out the area, then I will ID the caches Im goign to look for. From there I then take it a step further. I draw my own maps in closer detail. If there is an area that is cache rich I will do little inserts on the back of the page or in the margins.

Yes it takes longer but it is all part of my fun thing. It actually helps in the long run too because then when Im out on the rd I can recall the details, street names etc to know where Im going.

Yes I have my car GPS but to see the detail I would need to have my reading glasses on, tough to go back & forth to them while driving, so I depend on memory.

It's bit anal but then I also color code my notes so........to each its own yeah?

Happy mapping Cass....