Wherigo cache and traditional cache

M.TEX

The starting coordinates of the Wherigo cache can be wherever you like. The final, and any other physical stages which you might add, have to be 528 feet / 0.1 mile / 161 metres from the Traditional cache and from the final or physical stages of any other cache.

Physical stages don't come up much in Wherigo caches, but they can be a neat way to prevent people from using the Emulator to """""cheat""""" (lots of quote marks to avoid the debate about what "cheating" is). For example, you could hide a micro close to the start point with a code word in it, which is needed to go further with the cartridge. Of course, you could also use a word on a nearby sign.

Thanks

Yeap I had to ask because I did some quick search and could find the rules for that.

BTW if " someone" live in a Town called Springfield and "he " or "she " want to create a Cartridge

with SIPMPSONS Caracters , That would be a problem with Legal use ( Corp. Rights ) of the name or not ?

M.TEX

BTW if " someone" live in a Town called Springfield and "he " or "she " want to create a Cartridge with SIPMPSONS Caracters , That would be a problem with Legal use ( Corp. Rights ) of the name or not ?

Quite likely. Fox is pretty litigious and gets Simpsons stuff taken down from YouTube pretty quick, and Rupert Murdoch doesn't like free content very much right now.

OK ok I see...

I the Simpsons was just a way to explain the Problem....

My Idea for a Wherigo cache ( Cartridge ) is maybe a long shot but I would like

to do a MacGyver cartridge. Would be like a Secrect Mission type of game....

whould MacGyver or Stargate name be another problem ?

I know there is a Geocache that has the name and Idea of Stargate for TB's...

and looks like so far they don't have any legal problems

M.TEX

Edited by M.TEX
I know there is a Geocache that has the name and Idea of Stargate for TB's... and looks like so far they don't have any legal problems

Well, there's whether or not anyone's complained, and whether it's legal... but to use the word "Stargate" is a whole lot different from copying a load of media, for example.

"macgyver" and "stargate" most likely are trademarks, either registered or unregistered. trademarks are legally protected against infringement, but it's different from copyright, as trademarks are names, logos or other things that can be used in some way, it's not content that can be copied. (well, it can be both, but for simple franchise names it isn't.)

in effect this means that there is no infringement as long as you don't use the trademark for any purposes that you or someone else would profit or benefit from, or that would cause harm to the trademark owner, or where you claim that you came up with the name or something like that, etc.

*** IANAL