Oregon version: to T or not to T, that is the question

Please forgive my pun, but I ran into a review of the the Oregon 400t that confused me a bit. I'm simply not knowledgeable about the different types of maps the guy is speaking of, so I'm turning to you guys to explain things. I've been waffling on which type of Oregon to buy and this has me even more confused.

"My recommendation would be for anyone considering an Oregon, I would go with either the 450 or 550. Get the 3d compass. This one is poor at best. Need to re-calibrate several times per day to be accurate. Also DON'T GET THE PRE-LOADED Maps. Save the $100 to pay for an 8g SDHC and the topo maps on DVD. It was a bigger deal before Basecamp started reading device maps, but it's still nice to have them for MapSource as well. Lastly. Custom Maps are AWESOME!!!!"

Edited by BrickAlley

i agree, save the money and get a 450. there's plenty of free topo maps out there, which work just as well and don't cost an extra $100. it's also got plenty of internal storage, so chances are you won't even need an SD card. if all else fails, you can always still buy the "official" garmin maps from them afterwards.

Edited by dfx

i agree, save the money and get a 450. there's plenty of free topo maps out there, which work just as well and don't cost an extra $100. it's also got plenty of internal storage, so chances are you won't even need an SD card. if all else fails, you can always still buy the "official" garmin maps from them afterwards.

I agree, i just bought the 450t and plan to return it for the 450. its not worth the extra 100. use that hundred and get the street navigator($100) or Birdseye($30).

Hi there. The main advantage I got from my 400t maps was park and gameland boundaries. The free maps for NC that I have don't show them well. I am very happy with my new 450 but I did find a way to get those boundaries. The money is better spent for driving maps. Again there are ways around for that. :)

I checked prices and the difference for t version is only around $81.00.

Are the Garmin pre-loaded topo maps worse than the free ones? Might be worth it to me for only $81 to save the hassle of loading my own.

I'll also suggest the non T.

Your choices for maps:

1. Free routable street maps at http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

2. Free topo maps at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

3. Buy 24k Topo map with more details and routable streets from Garmin - by region only, not entire US : https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255

Edited by UncleJimbo
Are the Garmin pre-loaded topo maps worse than the free ones? Might be worth it to me for only $81 to save the hassle of loading my own.

The free ones are 24k - higher detail. But you can always get the T version, and still load in the 24k maps.

What the T version has is the complete topo map of the US in one mapset. To some people, that might be worth the price.

If you don't want the hassle of loading the map onto the GPSr, and if one of the 24k topo regions fit your needs, you may want to get that on microSD card instead. All you need to do is to insert the card into the GPSr and you're done.

I'd offer to load the free maps onto your GPSr for a cup of coffee, but you're at the other end of the country from me :)

The Garmin maps have DEM which allows the pretty 3D shading on the screen (in addition to the elevation lines) but honestly I use the free USGS 24K topos probably more than the ones that came with my Oregon 400t.

I only chose the T because at the time I made my purchase I was able to get the T version for the same price as the non-T version - so logic dictates right?

If there's significant price disparity I would agree to forgo the T and spend that money on routable street maps, or stick it in the bank :)

I wnat to point out that the models that have th e't' in them have a little more to offer than just having pre-installed maps.

They also have more internal, built-in factory memory.

Some say it isn't a big deal since you can put in a larger memcard, but some like to have the option to load things on internal memory as well as on a card.

Other than having pre-installed maps and a larger internal memory, I believe they are the same.

I wnat to point out that the models that have th e't' in them have a little more to offer than just having pre-installed maps.

according to the garmin website, the 300, 400t, 450 and 450t all have 850 MB internal memory. are they wrong?

My 550 T has 3.71 gigs capicity and it came with a little over 1 gig free.

I got the T for the DEM data. I may be wrong, but I think that is a pretty significnat difference. Lets see if we can determine what all the DEM data allows you to do.

With DEM, you cam see shaded relief in gpsfiledepot maps or any map.

I belive the 3D viewer requires DEM data.

In my GPS, it wil tell me the elevation of any spot. I beleive that is done with DEM data (but I could be wrong)

If I draw a track in map source and send it to the GPS, in track manager you can see a plot of the elevation profile. I beleive it obtains that data from the DEM data.

Does anyone know if I am mistaken about any of this or know anything else the DEm data is used for?

Has anyone tried copying the topo maps from 1 T GPS you own to a non T GPS you own? Are the maps locked to the GPS? Or can it be transfered to another?

shaded relief is available on the non-T models as well, you just need to have a suitable map.

same goes for the 3D view.

the unit tells you the elevation of any random spot even without maps supporting shaded relief or 3D view. i have a 450 and mine does that, even though my map doesn't let me use the 3D view and also doesn't have shaded relief.

i assume the same applies to getting an elevation plot out of a flat track. didn't try that myself though. also i don't know how well suited non-3D maps are for that and how accurate the result would be.

also i don't know if it's possible to get the 3D/shading from any non-garmin maps at all. in any case, you can always buy the proper maps from garmin afterwards and get all the features, even on the non-T models.

shaded relief is available on the non-T models as well, you just need to have a suitable map.

same goes for the 3D view.

the unit tells you the elevation of any random spot even without maps supporting shaded relief or 3D view. i have a 450 and mine does that, even though my map doesn't let me use the 3D view and also doesn't have shaded relief.

i assume the same applies to getting an elevation plot out of a flat track. didn't try that myself though. also i don't know how well suited non-3D maps are for that and how accurate the result would be.

also i don't know if it's possible to get the 3D/shading from any non-garmin maps at all. in any case, you can always buy the proper maps from garmin afterwards and get all the features, even on the non-T models.

Are you saying you are getting that withOUT loading another garmin topo map that has the DEM data? In other words, can you get these features with the built in basemap or did you add something more?

Are you saying you are getting that withOUT loading another garmin topo map that has the DEM data? In other words, can you get these features with the built in basemap or did you add something more?

i'm saying that i don't get any of the features (well, not the 3D view and the shaded relief) because i don't have a map that gives them to me. but if i had such a map, such as one of the garmin topo maps, which are available for purchase seperately, then i would get all the features. which means that except for the increased internal storage (which is filled up by the pre-installed map), the T and non-T models are identical hardware and firmware wise.

and i'm still able to tell the elevation of any random spot on the map, and i'm probably able to get an elevation plot out of a flat track. all that using the free (non-garmin) map i have installed.

there may or may not also be free maps that would give all the features to me, i don't know about that.

Edited by dfx

Thanks for the clarification.

The free maps on gpsfiledepot do NOT have DEM data. I am not aware of any program that will allow you to add DEM data to a map (or I would have already done it!). So it sounds like if you want DEM data you have to either buy a T model or buy Garmin maps.

according to the garmin website, the 300, 400t, 450 and 450t all have 850 MB internal memory. are they wrong?

I believe they are staing the REMAINING usable memory. But Garmin is not very clear on the factory internal memory on their units.

I also beleive that the 450t has 4GB of Internal Memory and the 450 has about 1GB.

That was the way it is with the Oregon 400 and 400t units.

I don't have the 450 or the 450t, but if someone here who has either can hook up to their computers and click on "MYCOMPUTER" and look for the GPS unit and click on the "Properties" it will display the amount of memory on the unit as well as the capacity/size of their memory card installed if they installed one.

I believe they are staing the REMAINING usable memory. But Garmin is not very clear on the factory internal memory on their units.

I also beleive that the 450t has 4GB of Internal Memory and the 450 has about 1GB.

yes of course. but if you're after storage, get the non-T model and put an SD card in. that's way cheaper than getting the T and then deleting the pre-installed map. so that's not really an argument in favor of the T models.

yes of course. but if you're after storage, get the non-T model and put an SD card in. that's way cheaper than getting the T and then deleting the pre-installed map. so that's not really an argument in favor of the T models.

Hi dfx,

I was not looking to make an arguement for or against the 't' models.

I was just pointing out that there was another difference between the 't' and non "t" models.

The 't' model runs about $100 more and between the pre-installed maps AND 4 gb of memory, it's not really that much more... especially if you wanted the Garmin maps.

Great discussion.

Someone tell me if I am wrong, but I am thinking that with a "t" model, I can have the pre-loaded topo maps AND put in my microSD card of City Navigator street maps, but with a "non-t" model, I would need to pick either topo maps or street maps since both would be on microSD cards?

Someone tell me if I am wrong, but I am thinking that with a "t" model, I can have the pre-loaded topo maps AND put in my microSD card of City Navigator street maps, but with a "non-t" model, I would need to pick either topo maps or street maps since both would be on microSD cards?

no, you can put multiple maps on both internal memory and SD card.

I am in the same boat here, having never done much with loading maps before. Are you saying that with the Oregon 450/450t I can have mulitple maps easily available while geocaching and I can just toggle between them? Is there a certain size sd card I need to get to be able to do this?

thanks

I am in the same boat here, having never done much with loading maps before. Are you saying that with the Oregon 450/450t I can have mulitple maps easily available while geocaching and I can just toggle between them? Is there a certain size sd card I need to get to be able to do this?

thanks

From the Garmin Oregon Wiki, the Oregon will read 4 GB of additional maps loaded to the memory card, or the maximum of 3,746 mapsets/maptiles, whichever comes first. This tripped me up the first time I tried to load all US TOPO onto an 8GB memory card...just because it would easily fit didn't mean the Oregon would read it.

However, I have not had any problem loading both TOPO and Navigator for a finite area (Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, for example) onto the memory card and having the Oregon read them.

I went non-t because I like to trip plan on my desktop computer as well as download track logs from the Oregon and overlay them on maps on my desktop computer. When one buys the t-version or the memory car version of the maps, one cannot "play" with the maps outside of the GPS. The t-version offers the convenience of having everything loaded upfront, but offers no flexibility off-GPS work. The Oregon 300 + TOPO cost about the same as a 300t at the time I made my purchase, so I went with the purchase that offered me the most flexibility with the maps.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Unless UncleJimbo bought City Navigator on microSD. Then he'll need to fit his topo map in the on-board memory.

I have a 8 GB card in my Oregon 300 and it works just fine. I bought it because it was on sale the day I went to the store, and the 4 GB is not. I'm only using 1.5 GB of it so plenty of memory left. I only have the California 24k topo maps on it. The street maps of the immediate area (roughly 1/5 of California) is in local memory, with plenty of space to spare.

Unless UncleJimbo bought City Navigator on microSD. Then he'll need to fit his topo map in the on-board memory.

I did buy City Navigator on microSD card (it is the only legal way to use it on a new GPSr). However, I would be VERY hesitant to try to write other maps onto this commercial microSD card, for fear of damaging City Navigator.