Returning to coordinates

budbon

I realize a gps will only get you to within X number of feet of the true coordinates, but if I make a waypoint and later that day or that week, return to that position will my gps show that exact location?

Just curious.

I've tried that a few times and no, the gizmo never takes me to the exact spot. Of course, the numbers on the screen are the same but the physical location isn't. Close but no ceeeegggaaarrr. :unsure:

Why don't you give it a try yourself? Get satellite lock in front of your house in the morning and waypoint it. Then later that day, go to the coords on the gizmo and see what happens.

You'd think that it would do it but I have never been able to get it to do that.

I realize a gps will only get you to within X number of feet of the true coordinates, but if I make a waypoint and later that day or that week, return to that position will my gps show that exact location?

Just curious.

I've tried that a few times and no, the gizmo never takes me to the exact spot. Of course, the numbers on the screen are the same but the physical location isn't. Close but no ceeeegggaaarrr. :unsure:

Why don't you give it a try yourself? Get satellite lock in front of your house in the morning and waypoint it. Then later that day, go to the coords on the gizmo and see what happens.

You'd think that it would do it but I have never been able to get it to do that.

Holy carp! The team has posted helpful advice! Keep it up Cotati!

Just curious.

I've tried that a few times and no, the gizmo never takes me to the exact spot. Of course, the numbers on the screen are the same but the physical location isn't. Close but no ceeeegggaaarrr. :)

Whoah!! I just saw a full on, all the way double rainbo', too! What does this mean??? :D

They've done it before...not that remarkable. :)

to the OP:

It is the nature of the beast that there will always be a certain margin of error.

The usual figure that is quoted is 'within 10 meters' (thirty feet).

In most cases most GPS receivers can and do exceed this degree of precision, but you are best advised to not count on it. The skill and diligence of the operator play no small part in the results.

I leave the GPSr in place, averaging, and walk away for 5 minutes. If you hover over it, you will block quite a bit of sky.

That is why it sometimes helps to approach a GZ from a different direction. Your body will mask a different, and hopefully empty, portion of the sky.

Edited by Minimike2