GC2B034 Necropolis at Brittania Manor III

This cache deserves its own thread.

It was set up by Richard Garriott, AKA Lord British, the same guy who put a geocache on the space station.

It is the most unbelievable cache you will ever do. It's obvious it took at least a year to plan and at least $10,000 to set up the whole thing.

It is worth a special trip from wherever you are to go to this one. Put this on your Bucket List.

It is amazingly cool. My brother and I ran it Friday. It's an experience to do the final at night, if you can.

Richard Garriott (Lord British) drove up at the parking site of the last leg as we were finalizing our puzzle answers and told us to have fun. We did.

Edited by jmd65

wow, Lord British posted a cache people can actually find and log!

That was kind of my thought as well. Personally, if I had my choice of game developers, I'd rather hunt a cache hidden by Cliffy B or Josh Sawyer. I doubt that either of them are caching.

EDIT: To avoid sounding too negative... this looks really cool. I'd love to see some caches closer to home like this.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Yep!

I have been anticipating this one for months. Ever since Jeremy posted about it on Facebook. :blink:

It's just under 200 miles drive for me and I got the green light from my wonderful wifey for a road trip. I'm hoping to have this one under my belt within a month or so.... and then to swing down to San Antonio and do Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum. :lol::lol::D

Yep!

I have been anticipating this one for months. Ever since Jeremy posted about it on Facebook. :lol:

It's just under 200 miles drive for me and I got the green light from my wonderful wifey for a road trip. I'm hoping to have this one under my belt within a month or so.... and then to swing down to San Antonio and do Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum. :lol::D:grin:

Let me know if you need a couple of 'hotlines' :blink: in case you get stuck figuring out the puzzle!

Yep!

I have been anticipating this one for months. Ever since Jeremy posted about it on Facebook. :lol:

It's just under 200 miles drive for me and I got the green light from my wonderful wifey for a road trip. I'm hoping to have this one under my belt within a month or so.... and then to swing down to San Antonio and do Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum. :D:grin::grin:

Let me know if you need a couple of 'hotlines' :blink: in case you get stuck figuring out the puzzle!

I'm sure Candy and Wayne would shoot me if I came to town and didn't tell them. Especially since Mynda and Connor will be along on this one. :lol:

I'm so excited* about getting to do this cache soon that I could hardly sleep last night. That has never happened before. I mean c'mon, it's just a cache. Heck, I haven't even talked to my friends that have already experienced it.

(* Insert infamous and totally ripped off from Dana Carvey yet not exactly forum friendly Snoogans quote that comes after the word "excited" here. You know the one. Yes you.) :blink:

I'll be honest. I don't know where you got $10,000 or why it matters, but this cache looks amazing. I talked to my roommate and we are planning to make the 100 mile mini road trip within the month. Thanks for the heads up!

Richard Garriott sweats gold and has dodo bird eggs for breakfast. He bought a ticket to fly to the ISS.

10 grand isn't much to this guy at the end of the day. I mean, he does live in a castle.

I'll be honest. I don't know where you got $10,000

look through the logs. others have posted pics (heh....pics of themselves doing what it warns against)... but somewhere in all the pics you get an idea of what is out there. after being there sunday, i don't doubt that a substantial portion of that money is in the props. since we went on sunday during the day, i'm sure we missed some of the night-oriented items. what we saw in daylight was pretty good though

This looks like a creatively designed and detailed cache, one I'd certainly like to find if I'm ever in that area.

I am curious as to why it's listed as only a 2-star difficulty rating with the multiple stages and the likelihood that it would take hours to complete. I realize that the ClayJar rating system may skew too high in many hiders' minds (including mine), but wouldn't this at least be a 2.5 or a 3-star difficulty? Without being familiar with the area or viewing topo maps, I'll assume the terrain isn't too strenuous as a 2-star. Not trying to quibble, just curious.

This looks like a creatively designed and detailed cache, one I'd certainly like to find if I'm ever in that area.

I am curious as to why it's listed as only a 2-star difficulty rating with the multiple stages and the likelihood that it would take hours to complete. I realize that the ClayJar rating system may skew too high in many hiders' minds (including mine), but wouldn't this at least be a 2.5 or a 3-star difficulty? Without being familiar with the area or viewing topo maps, I'll assume the terrain isn't too strenuous as a 2-star. Not trying to quibble, just curious.

I thought the same thing......maybe he felt like if he gave it a hard rating it would scare people off. I would suggest anyone doing it just have a phone number of someone who has done it. Some of the clues are tricky and you wouldn't want to make a special trip to do this and then end up not getting it!

it wasn't that difficult of a puzzle. it was time consuming based on the ground covered.

if you aren't familiar with the area, or the history of the city, yes, it is a higher difficulty than a 2*.

as to the terrain rating... i'm still confused on really how that is judged. stairs were needed a couple of times. there's a trail... there's driving...

Sounds like a coordinated convergence is in order.

It would have to be 2 weeks off at least to have an event nearby...

An event to go for this cache. That sounds like fun. Maybe you could bring a certain "dead drop" and save me another long drive down south. LOL

I'm glad I wasn't the only one not sleeping last night. But sorry you weren't.

An event to go for this cache...

Keep in mind that while you can certainly meet with a bunch of cachers and go caching together, you can't, per the guidelines, create a Geocaching Event for the sole purpose of making a cache run.

In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Keep in mind that while you can certainly meet with a bunch of cachers and go caching together, you can't, per the guidelines, create a Geocaching Event for the sole purpose of making a cache run.

In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

We're a big happy family (if somewhat dysfunctional) here in Texas. We don't need an extra smiley to go out to hunt. The fact that folks will be coming from all points is cause enough for an event. Wet blanket avoided. :)

We're a big happy family (if somewhat dysfunctional) here in Texas. We don't need an extra smiley to go out to hunt. The fact that folks will be coming from all points is cause enough for an event. Wet blanket avoided. :)

It took every bit of self control in my body not to reply to the 'reminder' of event guidelines. You were much kinder than I would have been. Thank you Snoogans!

so... nobody should get a smiley for the ape cache event cache?

I qualify for a smiley on that event! I found the cache 2 days before the event and was one of the few who stood around eating free donuts* and jaw jackin.

I was NOT about to stand in line to sign the log for that long awaited experience. Nope. Not me.

*Scubaperson just snickerd to himself. Look a fat guy eating a donut. Silly Silly sad scubaperson.

Edited by Snoogans

Oops sorry. (Once I'm ready to have an event I'll have to learn the rules.) Trying again.

An event and this cache in the same day awesome. I'd love to meet some other geocachers

Thank you everyone who didn't make me feel bad because I haven't learned every rule. Besides I would have taken the words “sole purpose” literally and assumed we were doing more at an event than meeting up just to go for the cache. Which is what I believe the spirit of the rule is.

Snoogans you are so right. We don't need the extra smiley. But events are fun and having one to meet the others who might live in or be visiting the area would be great. We could discuss geocaching, strategies, interesting hides in the area, share or trade coins and TB’s, maybe do a (late?) lunch… And here’s a novel idea (I can’t believe no one has thought of it.) maybe after the event some of us could get together and find a geocache or even a few. Or do they have a rule that you can’t go geocaching the same day as an event?

BTW: I’ll have to say that is the silliest rule I’ve heard yet. I mean how is meeting up to do some goecaching worse than flash mob events? (And if anyone really wants to discuss that please let’s start a new thread.)

Oops sorry. (Once I'm ready to have an event I'll have to learn the rules.) Trying again.

An event and this cache in the same day awesome. I'd love to meet some other geocachers

Thank you everyone who didn't make me feel bad because I haven't learned every rule. Besides I would have taken the words “sole purpose” literally and assumed we were doing more at an event than meeting up just to go for the cache. Which is what I believe the spirit of the rule is.

Snoogans you are so right. We don't need the extra smiley. But events are fun and having one to meet the others who might live in or be visiting the area would be great. We could discuss geocaching, strategies, interesting hides in the area, share or trade coins and TB’s, maybe do a (late?) lunch… And here’s a novel idea (I can’t believe no one has thought of it.) maybe after the event some of us could get together and find a geocache or even a few. Or do they have a rule that you can’t go geocaching the same day as an event?

BTW: I’ll have to say that is the silliest rule I’ve heard yet. I mean how is meeting up to do some goecaching worse than flash mob events? (And if anyone really wants to discuss that please let’s start a new thread.)

Just a heads up, Wolfslady.......you gotta be careful, cause sometimes the GeoPolice will plant moles at events. If you go out with anyone afterwards to do a cache, they will report you to Groundspeak. :)

To clarify and address any confusion on this point... You are correct, the Going APE event violated that aspect of the event guidelines. However, as the host, I can tell you that we were granted a specific exception by Groundspeak, as noted by the reviewer:

May 2 by Rock Rabbit

Published with special permission from Groundspeak.

Back on topic... This sounds like a way-cool cache. I have friends who just moved to Austin, and they may get a visit sooner than expected. :laughing:

Back on topic... This sounds like a way-cool cache. I have friends who just moved to Austin, and they may get a visit sooner than expected. :laughing:

You should coordinate with Wander Lost and Misguided One. Word has it they will be visiting local relatives sooner than expected as well. :laughing:

I would probably make a second trip back for that. :laughing:

To clarify and address any confusion on this point... You are correct, the Going APE event violated that aspect of the event guidelines. However, as the host, I can tell you that we were granted a specific exception by Groundspeak, as noted by the reviewer:

May 2 by Rock Rabbit

Was the event associated with the launch of the E.T. power trail sanctioned by Groundspeak as well? Personally, I'd rather see an event that celebrates a cache like the one that Lord British has put out then the one for the power trail.

May 2 by Rock Rabbit

Was the event associated with the launch of the E.T. power trail sanctioned by Groundspeak as well? Personally, I'd rather see an event that celebrates a cache like the one that Lord British has put out then the one for the power trail.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I didn't go outta my way to hit E.T. on the way to GW8, but I talked with my friends Team Snook and they enjoyed every minute of their time there.

I spent so many hours on Ultima IV, before entering the Abyss. I approached the gate at about 4:00 AM and found I didn't have some essential bit exactly the way it wanted it. I haven't played it since.

I'm worried about having such a similar experience at Brittania Manor III. Someone please reassure me that everything works correctly and this can be solved without Lord Brittish getting out of his car and giving me a nudge. (I've still got a few bruises from all the nudging on a multi over the weekend.) :laughing:

I spent so many hours on Ultima IV, before entering the Abyss. I approached the gate at about 4:00 AM and found I didn't have some essential bit exactly the way it wanted it. I haven't played it since.

I'm worried about having such a similar experience at Brittania Manor III. Someone please reassure me that everything works correctly and this can be solved without Lord Brittish getting out of his car and giving me a nudge. (I've still got a few bruises from all the nudging on a multi over the weekend.) :laughing:

So you're looking for a quest-breaking-bug-free cache that's been fully patched and tested, eh? Not one of those rush to release by the holiday jobs?

So you're looking for a quest-breaking-bug-free cache that's been fully patched and tested, eh? Not one of those rush to release by the holiday jobs?

Exactly!

Now, who's up for designing a NetHack multi?