UGH! Has this happened to you?

bittsen

I can't believe I did this, AGAIN!

I just hid a cache 36 miles from home, as the crow flies. It's a 50+ mile drive that takes me over an hour.

Well, I placed the cache and it turned out to be too close to another cache (who would have thunk that far into nature) but the space is special to me so I went out yesterday to move it a bit. I snapped new coordinates for it and headed back home.

Well, today while getting the coordinates for the move, I accidentally deleted them so now I have to go back a third time to snap new coords.

On top of that it's a 4 terrain, though just a short span of it is that hard.

Ever have one of those hides?

Edited by bittsen

I'll bet you could find the spot in your GPS unit's track log, if it was recording one. If you were at the spot for some time (eg, averaging coordinates), you'd see a "knot" of zigzag tracks if you zoom right in.

If you're confident that was the right "knot", simply take the coordinates of the center. (Of course, if the first few DNFs report being unable to find the cache at, say, an outhouse, you got the wrong knot...)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Oh yeah.... somewhere in the Green Swamp, in the biggest cypress stump I've ever seen, is a decon.

It's been 4 years. I've made several trips, trying to remember where I was when I left the trail, and what I direction I was heading. Someday, I'll see it again, and this time I'll make it all the way to the 'puter with coords ;-)

Not for a long time, and certainly not on something so far from home and such a tough terrain! OUCH!

Oh well, it gives me a reason to get pictures with a better camera.

soapbowl1.jpgsoapbowl2.jpg

What did you take those pics with?

I have my Blackberry set to geotag all photographs. So if I did what you did, I might be able to save the day by using the coordinates from the photograph.

Not for a long time, and certainly not on something so far from home and such a tough terrain! OUCH!

(snip)

I have my Blackberry set to geotag all photographs. So if I did what you did, I might be able to save the day by using the coordinates from the photograph.

Look like cell phone or cheap digital camera (note the glared-out tops of the trees.) When I want nice I take the boat-anchor Nikon with me (Oof. Grunt.)

Sadly, while visiting GC12 my stupid, stupid, stupid digital SLR with all the bells and whistles decided to auto-focus on a twig in the foreground.

I should set my MyTouch to geotag in case it happens again.

THose were taken with the cell phone.

The new pics taken with my Olympus Stylus came out much better.

I should set my MyTouch to geotag in case it happens again.

THose were taken with the cell phone.

The new pics taken with my Olympus Stylus came out much better.

Unless you were right there at the cache, any coordinates from a geotagged photo would only be close, at best.

That is indeed a gorgeous spot for a geocache, Bittsen. I've got to hand it to you.

Unless you were right there at the cache, any coordinates from a geotagged photo would only be close, at best.

That is indeed a gorgeous spot for a geocache, Bittsen. I've got to hand it to you.

Thanks.

The pictures were taken from 3 feet away from the cache so they would have been pretty close.

Those pictures don't do the area justice. A few better pictures are on the cache page.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1c-241e2ebd0a67

The terrain rating is because there is a river near it? 2 finds within 24hrs of posting?

I think the terrain rating is over-rated.

Terrain is based on my path to the cache. One missed step or slip and you are swimming. Otherwise you have to climb through some bushes/trees with a definate (and likely) cut or bruise.

In fact, I discovered a nice three inch bruise on my knee today.

Mind you, the terrain is based on only 20 feet or so of the trek. It's my understanding that the terrain is based on the hardest part, not the overall path. Otherwise it would only be a 3 or so.

(It only takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the cache from a car)

But, here's an idea... Go find it and get back to me. ~LOL~

Edited by bittsen

The maps actually put it smack-dab in the middle of the river. Is that correct? (maybe an island/gravel bar?)

Nah, the maps aren't correct. It's on the edge of the river and will be completely submerged once in a while when the water level is up (anytime there's a good long rain storm)

The maps actually put it smack-dab in the middle of the river. Is that correct? (maybe an island/gravel bar?)

Nah, the maps aren't correct. It's on the edge of the river and will be completely submerged once in a while when the water level is up (anytime there's a good long rain storm)

Yeah, when I checked the satellite pics (after I posted the above, of course!) it was clear that it was on the bank... the west bank, if I recall correctly.

I really regret that the time I spent in your neck of the woods, so many years ago, was not spent exploring the outdoors. But I guess I had different needs at the time.