I think we found an historic site while benchmarking.

UNK1

While looking for benchmark K 341 we stumbled on to this spot that appears to be over the required minimum age for protection as an historic site.

The first picture shows a wide view of what is there and the 2nd pictures shows a close-up of the items found.

e07e23f8-a60a-4d5e-a4cc-2a3727beb973.jpg

Must have been some party going on there!

c9a3236e-b21e-488f-adb3-a9ada6630887.jpg

Anyone else find historical areas while benchmarking?

John

Yes, but you didn't answer the question of how old a site needs to be, before it can be considered historical and be protected by law.

The minimum is 50 years, according to the NPS, which administers the National Register of Historic Places:

How Old?

"To be considered eligible, a property must meet the National Register Criteria for Evaluation. This involves examining the property’s age, integrity, and significance.

* Age and Integrity. Is the property old enough to be considered historic (generally at least 50 years old) and does it still look much the way it did in the past?

* Significance. Is the property associated with events, activities, or developments that were important in the past? With the lives of people who were important in the past? With significant architectural history, landscape history, or engineering achievements? Does it have the potential to yield information through archeological investigation about our past?"

I doubt a pile of rusty bottlecaps on a non-descript hillside qualifies.

What prize do I win?

~ Mitch ~

EDIT: Did you know that more steel in the United States is used to make bottle caps than to manufacture automobile bodies? ? ?

Yikes! - What does that say about us as a nation? :):D

Edited by Difficult Run

Former Yosemite superintendent Mike Tollefson liked to joke that the plastic safety netting at Olmsted Point had been there so long that he was afraid it would be declared an historic artifact before the area could be renovated. :-) Luckily, the Yosemite Fund came up with the money to do the project before that happened...

Patty

I don't have any pictures but there is a very large midden just over the edge of the bluff 200 ft or so northwest of

5069a8d4-386e-4fb3-a85a-a2ad8800f375.jpg

GR0407 SEISMOGRAPH

Not sure how long this facility was manned during the initial fill of the reservoir behind Boulder (now Hoover) Dam.

I do see these artifacts frequently

87f92ab9-53b7-461b-a5af-75fd6021e1eb.jpg

SR1094 WINIFRED SOUTH BASE

kayakbird

Even bottle caps can be historic artifacts. I came across a large pile of them about 10 feet in diameter and 6 feet high in the California desert. It was in the vicinity of a major old WWII training camp, General Patton used for tank training. While there is very little else remaining at the site, it tells you something about there having once been a lot of significant activity in the area. The camp was probably most tents, but I have not studied it. My Dad was stationed there briefly in the runup to war. Tank training in the desert was in anticipation of action in North Africa. Then he got shipped out to Okinawa!

- jerry