delorme pn40

khyro

Hello,

I recently encouraged a family member to join me on one of my geocaching hunts. He and his family enjoyed it as much as I did and are now considering buying a GPS for geocaching. He asked me about a "delorme pn40". I don't really know anything about this one as I have a Magellan. I will do a bit of research later however, in the meantime thought I would post here to see if anyone has any experience, opinions, etc with this GPS.

Thanks for any comments.

k

I just took one of my son in laws out geocaching three weeks ago and he too ended up buying a GPS (PN-40 to be exact). So far they're having a blast. Myself, I have mulitple units and slightly prefer the Garmin units, but being a Dave Ramsey sort of guy, I try to advise people to stay within their budget. The Delorme PN series is probably the best bang for the buck out there right now. While I've been somewhat vocal about not being a great fan of their TOPO software, with each new version, they've actually made pretty good improvements, to where with TOPO 9, their maps are actually getting to be pretty good.

Well said, Cowboy. Took over two hours though -- did you have a nice day caching and/or spending time with family?

Wow, dynamite speculation, Lee! :)

It was a family affair - a birthday party for a 2 year nephew down in San Clemente, about 60 miles down the coast.

Did give me a chance to practice my road routing skills as they live in one of those twisty-turny areas and I've only been there several times with the most recent last Thanksgiving.

I have a '40, and if I had to do it again, it would at least get serious consideration.

BUT!

It has been in for repairs 3 times now.

Always a power problem, always seems to be the worst of times.

Once when I got to Phoenix, once in the middle of a run and the first time just 'cause.

It is a very good unit, I LOVE the paperless, and Cache Register is GREAT!

But now that it is out of warranty, I just hope it doesn't break again.

I was so aggravated at it in Phoenix, I went over to Best Buy, and if the guy hadn't been so, well, less than prepared, I would have bought an Oregon. But he didn't earn my business. :)

PP

I was so aggravated at it in Phoenix, I went over to Best Buy, and if the guy hadn't been so, well, less than prepared, I would have bought an Oregon. But he didn't earn my business. :)

Retail salespeople rarely know their merchandise. The only reason I go into retail stores for electronics & the like is to get my hands on the device to finalize my decision before I buy online.

I once had a Circuit City computer salesperson ask if I needed "a Microsoft" (his exact words: "do you need a Microsoft for the system too?") to go with a laptop I was looking at. Once I figured out he was asking about MS Office, he told me that my copy of Office XP wouldn't work at all on Vista and that I'd need to purchase Office 2007 from him. I think there was actually a dustcloud left behind, I left so fast.