travel bug directions

fishin'fool

recently I did some traveling,about 1000 miles round trip.On my journey I encountered 3 travel bugs with no directions with them.I was away from home with no access to a computer,so I had to leave them.I didn't want to take them 500 miles in the wrong direction.Even if I was in my hometown I would have to leave the t.b. , go home and check where the t.b. wants to go.Then go back and hope the t.b. is still there.What all this rambling is all about is,if you start a t.b. please put directions with it.It will help it get to where it wants to go with no confusion!! icon_biggrin.gif

fishin'fool was here!

quote:
Originally posted by fishin'fool:

recently I did some traveling,about 1000 miles round trip.On my journey I encountered 3 travel bugs with no directions with them.I was away from home with no access to a computer,so I had to leave them.I didn't want to take them 500 miles in the wrong direction.

If they didn't have any instructions on them, then they are subject to the whims of the geocachers.

Markwell has noted that sometimes, 500 miles in a different direction might now be such a bad thing after all. I personally think that the journey, rather than the final destination is what makes the travel bugs really interesting.

I wouldn't have had any qualms whatsoever about picking up any one of those bugs and taking them back to my home port. Fair game imo.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

You can look up the bugs on the cache page before your hunt unless they were placed after planning your day of caching.

But what if they were not listed as being in the cache? And even if they were, while traveling would you carry around a half ream of the goals for every TB you could run across?

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

What if a bug has a multi-part goal or wants to go there and back again? A tag with the goal attached to the bug could tell about this, but the finder doesn't know where the bug is along the journey.

I'm with Markwell. Move it. It will eventually get where it's going and have fun along the way

... or get MIA trying :-(

quote:
Originally posted by brad.32:

What if a bug has a multi-part goal or wants to go there and back again? A tag with the goal attached to the bug could tell about this, but the finder doesn't know where the bug is along the journey.

Thats a problem too, but less of one (IMO) then not knowing any of the goal.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

You can look up the bugs on the cache page before your hunt unless they were placed after planning your day of caching.

This week I found a bug in between the time that it was placed and logged. There was no way to look it up before taking it. My log entry for the site, noting that I picked up the bug, was in before his was saying he left it. No directions were left with the bug, but I picked it up in case I could move it where it wanted to go. Turns out it has no particular goals, just mileage.

I've found three bugs, two without directions. It turned out I could move them the right way.

If you don't put directions with your bug, you may see it move in unexpected ways. If you do put the directions with your bug, you may see it move in unexpected ways. Chances are better for it to meet a goal if the goal is attached, but this is not an exact science!

I were on a long trip like that, I would think twice about taking a bug with no goals or directions attached. Locally, I figure I won't do much harm if it moves a few miles in a different direction.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Sorry if I have upset anyone icon_confused.gif but I have five bugs out and none have info. with them. Only one has a goal but if it goes a little out of the way that OK icon_razz.gif I just put them out to watch where they might go. icon_biggrin.gif

What bothers me is the number of people that don't know what to do with them. (I mean like log them)

Mejas

I have only released one (four more soon), but from the travel bug forum posts it sounds like people have better success if they include an instruction tag with the official silver tag. That helps people with the logging process. I don't know if everyone puts the goal the additional tag(s).

So far, I wasn't planning on putting the goal on my new ones, just refer to the bug's web page for the details, which lets the finder see the current goal and the total plan.

quote:

So far, I wasn't planning on putting the goal on my new ones, just refer to the bug's web page for the details, which lets the finder see the current goal and the total plan.

I think the additional tag with the goal and/or this printed page bagged with the bug http://www.xsnrg.com/geocachingwa/asp/travelbugsheet1a.asp

Just helps indentify it as a travel bug and maybe will give it a better chance for longivity. This is pure speculation. icon_cool.gif

These TBs are expensive! If I'm going to shell out $5 a pop, you can be sure I'll put instructions on them. I've got my 4 sons' racers out there, and I've got instruction tags on each of them. Hopefully, they'll not get lost. (You can see their race here )

I've only found 1 bug in the 'wild' (with no instructions) but I took the liberty of adding them from the website to Micro Bug. Too pushy? (I never did ask the owner)