40 Things I Learned In My First 100 Caches

Ecylram

Later today my wife and I will find our 100th cache. This is what we’ve learned so far.

1. Some cachers go to great effort to maintain quality caches.

2. Some cache owners are amazingly creative.

3. Some caches are abandoned relatively fast.

4. There is ambiguity in the geocaching guidelines…and varying interpretations.

5. I don’t think I want to be a reviewer.

6. There is an art to reading the GPS.

7. The vast majority of cache coordinates are pretty gosh darn accurate.

8. Seconds count when attempting to be the FTF.

9. FTF’s are amazingly addictive.

10. It’s stupid to go out caching all afternoon in 102 degree heat with bad air conditioning.

11. A lot of cachers don’t log their DNF’s.

12. I hate lamp post hides – boring.

13. I love lamp post hides – nothing better after a few DNF’s or to reach a milestone.

14. I understand why people have stamps for their names.

15. There is a special place in heck for people who run their stamps across three or four lines on a small cache log. Yes, you should be ashamed if you do this.

16. A lot of logs are damp, moist, wet, mush.

17. A lot of seemingly waterproof containers…aren’t.

18. Some cache owners don’t think their plan through.

19. There are a lot of parks and green areas I didn’t know about.

20. Just because there are a million great hiding places in the rocks doesn’t mean the cache isn’t really in the bushes.

21. There are a lot of cedar trees and bushes in our area.

22. I hate cedar trees and bushes.

23. I’m starting to hate pine trees.

24. Muggles are everywhere.

25. Muggles sneak up on you.

26. Some muggles are oblivious to the world around them.

27. Muggles sometimes find caches…and sign them.

28. I’m surprise that some caches have never been muggled.

29. Some descriptions have nothing to do with the cache.

30. Some hints, really aren’t.

31. I would really like to meet some of the cache owner’s.

32. I find I mentally assign a gender to some ‘genderless’ cache owners – and am often right.

33. There are some muggles you should just not go caching with…seriously.

34. It’s possible to spot another geocacher from several hundred feet away.

35. Some cache descriptions tell some very poignant stories.

36. There are a lot of spiders and bugs in this world.

37. There are a lot of sharp and pokey things in this world.

38. I need to buy gloves.

39. Long sleeve shirt might not be a bad idea either.

40. The best geocaching pen in the world is the Sharpie Fine Point Pen.

Congrats on your first 100! Great post. My comments in blue

10. It’s stupid to go out caching all afternoon in 102 degree heat with bad air conditioning. So true

13. I love lamp post hides – nothing better after after a few DNF’s I agree. I hate them until I hit 5 DNF's in a row.

19. There are a lot of parks and green areas I didn’t know about.That's why I cache

22. I hate cedar trees and bushes.I too have a low tolerance for these hides.

29. Some descriptions have nothing to do with the cache.Yep, there's a cacher here that fits the bill.

It sounds like you've learned more than some 'veteran' cachers. Continue to enjoy caching!

That's a fun post. A nice balance of positive and negative. I expect you could probably write another list of 40 things after your next 100 caches too. I've learned an incredible amount from geocaching. Not only the kinds of things you've listed here but things like how to read topo maps, names of plants, trees and animals... the list goes on and on.

I had to look at your profile when I read this....I was thinking Texas but no, Colorado. Lots there too, eh?

yeah, by the time I'd cached one whole day in Texas, I was over cedar tree caches. I can see where living in cedar tree country might allow a person to develop a taste for LPC ;-)

41. Waypoint your car

HAH! That's awesome. Numbers 15 and 33 are so ridiculously true, and I'm surprised you're only just beginning to learn number 23 :unsure:.

Although I gotta disagree with 40. Fisher space pen all the way :)

Regarding 33 (Caching with a muggle):

In one instance he wandered off to pet a dog and chat with the dog's owner, then he LOUDLY yelled over "Did ya find it yet"? (I did. It was a very cool stump hide.)

Second instance, we pull up to a lamp post hide in a gas station parking lot. It's on a busy corner and there is a car of muggles a few feet away. I tell him its not a good time to get it and lets move on. He jumps out of the car and lifts the skirt to see what it was. A guy parked at the light watched the whole thing and forgot to go when the light turned green.

Congrats on your first 100! Great post. My comments in blue

10. It’s stupid to go out caching all afternoon in 102 degree heat with bad air conditioning. So true

13. I love lamp post hides – nothing better after after a few DNF’s I agree. I hate them until I hit 5 DNF's in a row.

19. There are a lot of parks and green areas I didn’t know about.That's why I cache

22. I hate cedar trees and bushes.I too have a low tolerance for these hides.

29. Some descriptions have nothing to do with the cache.Yep, there's a cacher here that fits the bill.

It sounds like you've learned more than some 'veteran' cachers. Continue to enjoy caching!

42. Quoted text on the forums is blue as well. :unsure:

10. It’s stupid to go out caching all afternoon in 102 degree heat with bad air conditioning.

Are you sure you are not mixing up driving and geocaching? I never have air conditioning when I'm geocaching.

You just strap the air conditioner to your back and get a loooong extension cord. :unsure:

Actually, that day (yesterday) I was hitting an urban/industrial area where the caches were not (usually) close together and where there were a lot of geographical boundaries such as rivers, canals, railroad tracks, fences, and freeways.

Are you sure you are not mixing up driving and geocaching? I never have air conditioning when I'm geocaching.

OK I give up - IPB refuses to accept image URL with "+" in them. Here's the link.

http://ecomodder.com/blog/who-needs-air-co...ugh-your-shirt/

Edited by Chrysalides

You just strap the air conditioner to your back and get a loooong extension cord. :unsure:

Actually, that day (yesterday) I was hitting an urban/industrial area where the caches were not (usually) close together and where there were a lot of geographical boundaries such as rivers, canals, railroad tracks, fences, and freeways.

We gotta get you into the mountains for some 4x4 trails and/or hike to caches. You'll love it. 4x4 event in August. Make your plans to attend.

OK I give up - IPB refuses to accept image URL with "+" in them. Here's the link.

http://ecomodder.com/blog/who-needs-air-co...ugh-your-shirt/

hehehe do they make that in "chubby" size? A camel back looks like I have a wart...ok more like a goiter.

We gotta get you into the mountains for some 4x4 trails and/or hike to caches. You'll love it. 4x4 event in August. Make your plans to attend.

Sounds like fun. I can tell you know that my wife and Jessie would become fast friends.

Sounds like fun. I can tell you know that my wife and Jessie would become fast friends.

Thank you but sadly Jessie passed away in April. She still ride shotgun with me in spirit. She is a great dog and companion.

Thank you but sadly Jessie passed away in April. She still ride shotgun with me in spirit. She is a great dog and companion.

I'm truly sorry to hear that. My wife believes that Golden Labs are the "best dogs in the world". Sounds like Jessie lived up to that high billing.

I'm truly sorry to hear that. My wife believes that Golden Labs are the "best dogs in the world". Sounds like Jessie lived up to that high billing.

Second best. Australian Shepherds are the best.

:unsure:

But usually it's still a good idea to wear long pants.

Did this on Wednesday last week, and not learning my lesson.... did it Friday as well :unsure:

43. After deciding to leave the trail and start bushwhacking, you find the trail again. (oh, heh-heh, it must have turned back around a little further down)

Yep, did this Friday on a cache. THought there was no way the path I was on could possibly loop back towards the cache that is right there.....

I am at 99 caches right now and I loved your list and could relate to many of them.

Thanks for the laugh....

But usually it's still a good idea to wear long pants.

Did this on Wednesday last week, and not learning my lesson.... did it Friday as well :unsure:

43. After deciding to leave the trail and start bushwhacking, you find the trail again. (oh, heh-heh, it must have turned back around a little further down)

Yep, did this Friday on a cache. THought there was no way the path I was on could possibly loop back towards the cache that is right there.....

Just did that in 108 degree heat, a 10 mile bike ride redeeming DNF's along a bike trail, I wore blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I was at early to moderate stages of heat stroke by the time I finally got back, but I redeemed 5 DNF's and was invincible when plowing threw all the weeds/brush/bushes. So it was worth it. I'd rather be hot as hell than scratched up and vulnerable.

That happen to me yesterday. It was in the mountain and I went down a really steep canyon and back up and when I got there, the same road I left was right in the front of me! UGH! Good thing about it that I discovered a really nice creek down there.

Later today my wife and I will find our 100th cache. This is what we’ve learned so far.

5. I don’t think I want to be a reviewer.

Whoa there! Comments like that might cause you to land on a candidate list. :)

I think I'd rather be a reviewer (gods above forbid!), then a mod. :D

This is entirely meant to be a joke. I thank the reveiwers and the mods (and even the Lackeys that keep the servers going) each day I cache or waste use my work day to be on the forums.

I had to look at your profile when I read this....I was thinking Texas but no, Colorado. Lots there too, eh?

yeah, by the time I'd cached one whole day in Texas, I was over cedar tree caches. I can see where living in cedar tree country might allow a person to develop a taste for LPC ;-)

41. Waypoint your car

Oh yes! I remember those darn cedars in Colorado, and pfitzer bushes, and spruce trees! OW! We used to live in Aurora.

And yes, about Waypointing the car. YES YES YES! We have learned that one the hard way unfortunately.

#44: I'm horrible at this. 1/1? I'll DNF that one 5 times while everyone else in the area is taunting me in their "found it" logs.

#45: Hey, I'm pretty good at this. I can FTF a 3/3 in about 30 seconds while everyone else takes 3 visits to find it.

That's the story of my life!

Nice list. It's been a while since #100, but the lessons remain the same.

41. Waypoint your car.-worth repeating.

4?-when in doubt, poke it with a stick.

4?? If you can't see where you are putting your hands, poke it with a stick.

4??? Once bitten, twice shy.

When it stops being fun, move onto the next cache.

Edited by wimseyguy

Nice list. It's been a while since #100, but the lessons remain the same.

41. Waypoint your car.-worth repeating.

4?-when in doubt, poke it with a stick.

4?? If you can't see where you are putting your hands, poke it with a stick.

4??? Once bitten, twice shy.

When it stops being fun, move onto the next cache.

Due to the presence of rattly and/or poison-ish things in my neck o' the woods I carry my Sticky Stick™. It's an ordinary stick, of good length and about right thickness and sturdy enough to poke in places I can't see, which might contain the aforementioned critters. When it's a spot a rattler might be, that's for the 5 foot hiking pole to explore. So far I've met 3, this year alone, and expect to meet more.

19. More parks, greenspaces, etc.

Quite. In my ignerrunt daze I kinda knew there were some parks around, but Geocaching has revealed the vast abundance of city, county, state and national parks around where I live (heck, it must be about half of California is parks.) Always fond of exploring, this is my milieu, so I'm having a very large amount of fun discovering them all. (Most recent was Sims Flat in northern California, such a neat little place!)

Edited by DragonsWest