Star Wars cache game

nyisutter

WHOOPS!!! The 'minimap' on the Alderaan cache page showed a map of Florida. It's really trying to get to Clermont, Indiana.

But he has to run into Leia first. I guess Darth should start heading NE - to Ohio or somewhere where he can catch up with Leia (currently in By The Bluestone in West Virginia).

Luke is on the move, too. Darth must travel NORTHEAST!

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Been reading the history of your game. Outstanding organizing process! Now that I have DV, I have some questions on when to send him on his way since Leia has not moved out of By The Bluestone in WV for over 3 months and Luke is someplace in Indiana. The note I have found with DV indicates "I must find Leia! Take me to INDIANA". It makes it sound as if she is there already and he needs to head that way, But, from what I read in your threads he needs to meet up with her first and both move on together to IN.

1. Should I hold DV until Leia starts moving again or move him then to the north .

2. Am I allowed to leave a note with DV indicating he is to meet Leia to travel with her to IN and to check out your web sites.

3. Or, am I making this to complicated and just move him down the road?

Don't mind getting involved with some strategic planning move for DV, if necessary, to move him now or later in the Knoxville area if you had any of that kind of stuff in mind.

Thanks,

You can just place Darth V anywhere. You might try to get him in the general direction of Leia, but one of his goals is also to rack up caches as he and Luke are in a battle for the most logged caches. I assume you have been to the Star Wars Cache Game webpage, mentioned higher up in the thread. If you haven't go there for more info. But anyway, the most preferrable thing is for the bugs to be moving. As they get closer to each other, cachers can start moving them with more strategy...

By the way, we are working on the Episode 5 scenario now, and I need a volunteer to place a Dagobah cache. If you are interested, let me know!

I just stumbled on this thread. Looks great!

Someone mentioned Detroit as Geonosis. In fact, Auburn Hills, a northern suburb, would be even more fitting, as several robotics companies' facitilies are located there (ABB, FANUC, RPT, many more). The whole area is known as Automation Alley.

As an added bonus, there's also an arena -- The Palace of Auburn Hills, home of the Pistons.

I'd be willing to help out if you want it here. Let me know. I realize the Ep 2 scenario is a ways off, but I'm interested in seeing what the plan for Geonosis is; it's a huge climax in the movie.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

We are currently working on Ep 5 and Ep 2. As soon as all the planets are in place, I will start new scenarios. We will need people to start characters.

We still need volunteers for Ep 2 planets. Email if interested in hiding a cache for the game.

Looks like its time to start emailing those holding on to travelers for Ep 4. The force seems to be against the Skywalker twins right now.

It would be so great to see the next goal reached in this game. Darth is in Virginia and Leia is in West Virginia. So close! Once they get together, they can both travel to Indiana where Alderaan is located. (And also, where Luke is lurking nearby ...!)

Hopefully, when they get into the same cache, there are adequate instructions attached to them to let cachers know to move them both together.

In case you haven't visited the game page recently, there is a new link that will give you a bird's-eye view of where the planets and bugs are located. As the bugs move, this game's hostess will update the coordinates on the map

Oh great. She's in a cache that is difficult to access (if the park's even open!) until the Spring Thaw! LOL.

Hope she's still in there when someone can get to her!

And has anyone contacted Duke of Earle to see about moving Luke along? I know I kept DarthV for a long time, but 4 months is a bit much...

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Yes, I contacted Duke of Earle to please put Luke back in the wild. I was amazed, when the map was done, to find that Luke is practically on Alderaan. I hope he is not waiting for Leia and Darth to show up! Luke currently has 3 caches and Darth 9. Is Luke in the hands of the Sith? Is this an evil plot to make Luke lose? icon_smile.gif

We have a Tatooine cache sitting in St. Louis, Missouri.

Just today, someone picked up Leia and DarthV travelers, so those two and Luke are currently all 'on the move'. Unfortunately, the people who picked up Leia and DarthV may not have understood the game, so we don't know in what direction they are traveling! All three travelers should be headed toward the Alderaan cache, which is located in the middle of Indiana. Luke is virtually there, already.

In case you haven't see this link off of the main Star Wars cache game page, you can see the location of the planet caches and the last know location of the travelers on a map:

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapgen/.gif?lat=38.6065%26lon=-96.4901&wid=50&ht=15&iwd=800&iht=600&murl=http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAStarWarsCacheGame/murl_Ep4PlanetsBugs_USMap.txt

I'd love to see this particular episode progress further before another is started. Adding more bugs and planets to this game could make the goals more complicated and delay them further. But it's not my game and everyone seems to want to participate.

The problem is, the excitement level drops (at least for me) when the travel bug goals take forever to complete. I think this game started about a year ago and Leia and DarthV have yet to make it to the Alderaan cache, which is in Indiana.

Leia and DarthV seem to be shacking up somewhere in New York, after being in Virginia for a few months. I don't know if the travelers' goals or the game goals are attached to them, but if not, we'll be waiting a long time for this episode to complete (The Death Star is in Washington state!)

I'm not trying to discourage anyone; just telling it like I see it.

It would be great if those interested in this game could somehow help get the travelers on the correct path; coax them along the way however they can. Maybe by emailing other geocachers in the area of the travelers to get them going in the right direction. Find out who is traveling in the required direction and get the bugs into their hands. Encourage people to put the bugs in caches that are new, visited often or near roads and freeways (reststop caches are great for that).

That kind of involvement would help with the excitement of the game and give people a way to participate than just create a planet cache and wait for something to happen. You could log your efforts on this thread.

[This message was edited by konopapw on July 20, 2003 at 07:11 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by konopapw:

I don't know if the travelers' goals or the game goals are attached to them, but if not, we'll be waiting a long time for this episode to complete (The Death Star is in Washington state!)

I'm not trying to discourage anyone; just telling it like I see it.

What about the possibility of setting up concurrent games? There's an episode 4, which everyone seems to be talking about here.

A new game could be set up by others for episode 5, 6, 1, or 2 just as easily.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Why have concurrent games? To serve what purpose? Won't it cause confusion with the other game in play? Are you going to have multiple Lukes and Leias and Darths and Hans crisscrossing each other? Won't THAT be a hoot!

I plan to only maintain the web page for this particular game: Episode IV (unless nyisutter fires me or the game gets way out of hand)

quote:
Originally posted by konopapw:

Why have concurrent games? To serve what purpose?

The purpose would be for more people to play. At the moment, if none of the characters are in your area, you're an innocent bystander. The planets for this game are set, so what's the motivation for getting involved unless you happen to get lucky enough to encounter one of the travel bugs? When I first found out about the game, I thought, "Cool!", but then discovered that all the planets were already created and it would be some time before any of the travel bugs got into my area, etc. so I sort of lost interest.

quote:
Won't it cause confusion with the other game in play? Are you going to have multiple Lukes and Leias and Darths and Hans crisscrossing each other? Won't THAT be a hoot!

Quite possibly, that would be the case. I'm just offering it up as a possible suggestion to allow others to join in, create new "Planet" caches and set up new scenarios. I'm sure most people would be able to tell the difference between "Cinamon Bun" Leia and "Jabba's Slave" Leia pretty easily. Plus when they go to the travel bug page, it will be clear that a bug is participating in a particular episodic game.

quote:
I plan to only maintain the web page for this particular game: Episode IV (unless nyisutter fires me or the game gets way out of hand)

Fabulous. I'm not suggesting that you're role be expanded or trying to cause you undue grief.

As an aside, you might want to make the URL of your website part of your signature line so that people will know where to look to get information about the game.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Where the travelers are at:

Leia

--------------------------------

Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Geocampers retrieved it from In the Shadows by Amanda and Mark(dad):

"We have the Princess and Darth Vadar....will have to read up on what this is all about and then report back."

DarthV

Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Geocampers retrieved it from In the Shadows by Amanda and Mark(dad):

"We have Darth Vadar. Still sketchy on the details of the mission. Will report back later."

Luke

Monday, September 01, 2003

kidCraZy retrieved it from Turkey Run Stash by Nicki & Doug Gundersen:

"Luke thinks he's Indiana Jones as he takes in the view from the Turkey Run State Park suspension bridge. He needs to jump back in the Millenium Falcon and get to Alderaan."

=============================================

Main Game Page:

http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAStarWarsCacheGame/index.html

Where the travelers are:

* Leia & DarthV are 429 miles to the East of the Alderaan cache

* Luke is 298 miles NNE of the Alderaan cache

* Luke has only 1/2 the cache visits as DarthV, so it looks like DarthV might end up winning the Battle of Yavin if Luke doesn't get in gear.

* Once Leia and DarthV are placed in the Alderaan cache, the cache will be DESTROYED! (archived). Then, they will have to be moved to another cache, where Luke can meet up with them and rescue Leia. (followed by even more goals, which will bring all the travelers to Washington state)

=============================================

Main Game Page:

Anyone can move the travelers closer to their posted goals. Realistically, you have to be in the part of the U.S. where the travelers are currently placed to help them move across the country.

We don't need any more travelers or caches for this particular game, though. We have all the 'planet' caches we need and any more travelers in this game would drag it out so much that goals would never be reached.

Here is the new formatted web page that should be easier to follow:

For the winner of the 'Battle of Yavin', DarthV is ahead in cache visits, but Luke has been catching up. Current score: DarthV: 17 Luke: 11

Leia had been traveling with DarthV near the Alderaan cache, which is their next goal. It would be great if they could reach it by the end of this year.

Luke has been bouncing around northeast of them. He can sense a disturbance in the Force.

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapgen/.gif?lat=38.6065&lon=-96.4901&wid=50&ht=15&iwd=800&iht=600&murl=http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAStarWarsCacheGame/murl_Ep4PlanetsBugs_USMap.txt

It has been well over a year since this game started. I would like to see some hard-core geocachers/Star Wars fans help get this game moving. Perhaps some more publicity in the location where the Travelers are at would help. Perhaps contact the nearest geocaching group?