Would this make a good signature item?

If you found this as signature item, would you take it with you?

joeysbeetle.png

This is a painted stone. I know this one doesn't look really good but it was just a first try and I'm especially gonna improve the line and the dots on the back by using a black permanent marker and not a brush.

I thought the idea was pretty good because my username is Joey.Beetle...

What do you think? And do you have ideas how I could attach a little note? I don't want to glue it on the bottom of the beetle because it is really small. What colours would you prefer the beetle to be?

Thank you! (:

Yes I think that it is a great sig item. Most people who collect sig items like the handmade ones the best, I know I do.

I make my own, and boy does it take a long time, but it is worth it. I might suggest using a paint pen. The paint is enamel so it dries fast and is waterproof. You should be able to get them at an art supply store or a craft store.

I think it's an awesome sig item and would love to get one.

If i could make a suggestion. Add a notecard with your name and put them in small plastic baggies. That way people will know they are from you. I also added the year to my sig items so that people will be able to collect more than one (and I hope to change the sig item a little each year).

I might suggest using a paint pen. The paint is enamel so it dries fast and is waterproof.
That's a good idea instead of permanent ink marker, if you want the lines to be very durable, but either one should be OK. A bottle of enamel paint and a thin brush would be less expensive than paint pens if you're doing a lot of them.

That's a pretty cool sig item. I know that it'd certainly catch MY eye, anyway. It seems that for the most part, people leave a card as their signature item... which I just find boring. Actual non-paper objects are always a better option in my opinion. I myself have a homemade chainmail ball thing (see my geocaching profile).

Keep in mind though that (assuming you leave it in every single cache) you'll be making literally hundreds of these. If it takes too long to make, I could see it quickly becoming a chore. With mine for example, if I have the chainmail rings ready (and I generally do, I make other things with chainmail), I can literally pound out one of my signature items in about 45 seconds. A few dozen can be made while watching a TV show.

So yeah, as long as it doesn't become a chore to make (or if you only leave them in specifically awesome caches), then I'd see it as an excellent sig item.

This is a painted stone. I know this one doesn't look really good but it was just a first try and I'm especially gonna improve the line and the dots on the back by using a black permanent marker and not a brush.

You're too modest. It looks fantastic. Hand made sigitems beats store bought every time. Good luck.

If you want to get adventurous, you could do other beetles too, not just ladybugs. June bugs, scarab beetles, black beetles... There are a lot of pretty beetle species, and experimenting with paint could produce some amazing results. Metallic paints or markers, different clearcoats... There's a world of possibilities!

I would love to find one of these in a cache, I think they are absolutely adorable. Thanks for sharing!

If you found this as signature item, would you take it with you?

joeysbeetle.png

I thought the idea was pretty good because my username is Joey.Beetle...

What do you think? And do you have ideas how I could attach a little note? I don't want to glue it on the bottom of the beetle because it is really small. What colours would you prefer the beetle to be?

Thank you! (:

I would totally pick it up and keep it! I agree that homemade is better. I'll take most any sig. item, but I prefer an object over a card.

I like the red bug - other colors would be great too. Also for the bottom, you could try a very fine point sharpie for just your name, or decoupage a small paper to the bottom of the rock - that way you could print it first, but just your name would suffice.

I bought some little jewelry bags for about $1.75 (100 count) at Robert's crafts - and I put all mine in them, and if I pick one up that didn't have a bag, I'll put it in one.

Edited by all Wright

You're too modest. It looks fantastic. Hand made sigitems beats store bought every time. Good luck.

+1

Yup, really excellent!

I would be proud to trade one of my sig items for one of yours!

Once again, thank you all, I didn't think I'd get such positive reactions. :)

I have to collect some stones today and try some bugs. Ladybugs in different colours, maybugs, those shiny metallic green bugs (have to get paint somewhere).

If you're interested in seeing the finished results, please let me know, I'd post them here.

I always appreciate when people do something creative for someone else to enjoy. That is almost the reason I place caches. The bug stones are cool. Nicely done and I am sure they will be well received. Also, your English is perfect, I suspect you may be from North America.