US County Completion

...and downloading the entire U.S. database would be rather time-consuming to check on that.

I think the list of cachers with a find in every state is still pretty short.

A find in every county would be quite an achievement, and certainly worth a special 'Challenge cache' to brag about.

...hmmm, what about every DeLorme map page in the country...?

Speaking as an inveterate underachiever here, even this watered down version of the proposed "All County" Challenge would be difficult to get past this portion of the Guidelines:

please include a note to the reviewer demonstrating either that you have met the challenge yourself, or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so.

But I'll concede that if some individual had attained this *Everest* of Challenges, they certainly deserve the bragging rights :unsure:

Does any geocacher have a find in every 3140 US county?

My guess is that there are still a handful of counties with no caches out there.

There are some counties with very few caches, but I don't know of any county with no caches.

Maybe Alaska.

Not meaning to be even slightly snarky, but have you actually checked? :)

I can't help but be curious... :D

Nothing official, but I just did a cursory look at some of the remote regions of Arizona and found there are quite a few areas without caches.

Yes but there are a few areas of Arizona that Hell aspires to be as hot.

There are also quite a few areas of Arizona which are reservation land on which caching is for the most part prohibited. I'm not sure if these areas encompass entire counties but the northeastern portion of the state is mostly Navajo land and cache density in that region is extremely sparse.

My guess is that there are still a handful of counties with no caches out there.

There are some counties with very few caches, but I don't know of any county with no caches.

Maybe Alaska.

There is one in Hawaii that dont have one, Kalawao county. There are some on the line, but I dont count those.

Speaking as an inveterate underachiever here, even this watered down version of the proposed "All County" Challenge would be difficult to get past this portion of the Guidelines:

please include a note to the reviewer demonstrating either that you have met the challenge yourself, or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so.

But I'll concede that if some individual had attained this *Everest* of Challenges, they certainly deserve the bragging rights :)

I believe that one would be the All Delorme Squares. :D

I don't know of any county with no caches.

Maybe Alaska.

Not meaning to be even slightly snarky, but have you actually checked? :)

I can't help but be curious... :D

The thing about Alaska is that the partitions are enormous, geographically. I haven't had the time to conclusively confirm, but I spot-checked a handful of the boroughs / counties that seemed least likely to have caches and had no trouble finding some.

There is one in Hawaii that dont have one, Kalawao county. There are some on the line, but I dont count those.

Wow, that is a fascinating story. It doesn't look like there can be any caches there - you can only enter the county with government permission, and only a part of an escourted tour (unless you are there as a guest of one of the 14 residents of the county). It seems that when the last of the 14 residents passes, the county will be formally dissolved. But still, how interesting.

I checked Loving County, TX (smallest county in the US by population besides Kalawao) and there are no physical caches, although there is a grandfathered virtual.

Maybe Alaska.

Not meaning to be even slightly snarky, but have you actually checked? :P

I can't help but be curious... :laughing:

I know there are (or were) caches in every county for the 9 states I've completed. (Some,at the time, only had 1 cache.)

And for the other 2 states I'm contemplating, I know there is a cache in every county (or was).

So far we have one counter-example of a county in Hawaii. (Which, of course, disproves the claim of a cache in every county...how about "every county but 1"?)

Any more counter-examples?