Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Group12

Beacon and Cache

We have discussed it before as a transmitter like for a foxhunt, but we came up with a few issues. Mostly, the bomb squad. :blink:

There was an entire Topic dedicated to it. With some very intellegent input from several people and links to some very interesting hardware. I have no idea where it went. Even IF the Topic was 'dead', it would have value to others arriving later asking the same questions. Several Topics disappeared. Each had value and merit. Does anyone know if those Topics are still available?

"Geocaching and Direction Finding" and to a lesser extent "Newbie has Questions" (about radio equiptment in general) are worth a look if you can find them.

The Bomb Squad discussions were a hoot as well!

Edited by RAYMOND N6NQR

There was an entire Topic dedicated to it. With some very intellegent input from several people and links to some very interesting hardware. I have no idea where it went. Even IF the Topic was 'dead', it would have value to others arriving later asking the same questions. Several Topics disappeared. Each had value and merit. Does anyone know if those Topics are still available?

"Geocaching and Direction Finding" and to a lesser extent "Newbie has Questions" (about radio equiptment in general) are worth a look if you can find them.

The Bomb Squad discussions were a hoot as well!

That would be here. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=242091

Thank you for the link. Bomb Squad is not a problem here. (would not put it in the city and we dont have a Bomb Squad here LOL) I would also not put the transmitter in the cache. I would put it under the cache or something to like. Then hide the coax and antenna in a tree above the cache. So when the cache is found you would not have access to the radio gear. Making it a low power 2m solar beacon. You could then hunt it with the GPS or the radio.

Just trying to come up with ideas to mix radio and caching.

Thank you for the link. Bomb Squad is not a problem here. (would not put it in the city and we dont have a Bomb Squad here LOL) I would also not put the transmitter in the cache. I would put it under the cache or something to like. Then hide the coax and antenna in a tree above the cache. So when the cache is found you would not have access to the radio gear. Making it a low power 2m solar beacon. You could then hunt it with the GPS or the radio.

Sounds like you have it all planned out. Sounds like fun!

Yep, my thread was linked to already as I am still working on getting this together. I've decided to weatherize and camouflage a 1.5 watt solar panel from Harbor Freight and attach a weatherproof box onto it that will contain the transmitter, charging circuit, and battery pack. This unit will be mounted directly above ground-zero (or at least there will be appropriate information to determine the location of the cache from the transmitter).

I haven't had much time this summer to get it going, but I'll have time this winter to get a location found and get it installed. Should be a blast!

I have thought of doing a beacon type cache after doing some Fox transmitter hunts with my Ham club.

My thoughts are those low power FM broadcast band transmitters, and have it transmit in morse code, the coordinates to the cache. I was thinking in front of my house, or another secure location in a tree or bush or in a bird house, so that someone can drive up and listen. Solar panel can be on the roof of the bird house.

I have thought of doing a beacon type cache after doing some Fox transmitter hunts with my Ham club.

My thoughts are those low power FM broadcast band transmitters, and have it transmit in morse code, the coordinates to the cache. I was thinking in front of my house, or another secure location in a tree or bush or in a bird house, so that someone can drive up and listen. Solar panel can be on the roof of the bird house.

I am planning to have my digi beacon a cache location - not a radio at the site but a local digi setting the position

Bernie VE7BVT