Southern Ontario Geocaching locations

Mike & Jess

We are heading down to Southern Ontario for a week of camping and geocaching.

(I am using the word camping pretty loosely, as our new 21' x17', 3 rooms and a porch tent is not my normal idea of camping.)

Anyway, we don't have any real agenda other then the wedding I am stand in next weekend. What areas would be good to target for Geocaching? The camp ground we are at is in the South East part of toronto.

Welcome, welcome, welcome! There are so many great caches out here. I agree with Bullfrog-Eh Team that you should start plotting from your campground and then go from there... If you are as east as Pickering and staying at the Glen Rouge campground, there are MANY right in there... also I have lots in the general vicinity as well.

You can just ignore Juice Pig! :unsure:

We are staying at the Glen Rouge Campground.

I have pocket queues for almost all of Ontario (~44 total), which includes one that has the cordinates for the camp ground. Including the few out of town queues, I have ~18k geocaches listed in GSAK.

Juicepig;

We lived in and around the GTA for about 5 years. Nice visit, but definately has it's locations to avoid camping in.

I was not a GeoCacher back then, so I don't know where the good areas to hit are. It'll be my wife, myself and little Cohen in the backpack.

This urban camping/caching is going to be something different for me.

Edited by Mike & Jess

welcome to the GTA.

Some of my favourites that are not too far from your campground:

Restin in Highland Creek

GC1WB4X - great mural and an interesting mini-main street from another era

Shifting Sands of Katabokokonk

GC2ZY8M - wonderful earthcache although maybe even more wonderful in winter

Oh! For Goodness Snakes!

GC1JHGF -- a challenging mulit in an interesting natural area

GeoQueen's Bluff

GC1D1K3 - long but not hard walk along what used to be a road. Beautiful lake view at the end and interesting art work.

Also, lots of great caches and a yummy, child friendly restaurant in Uxbridge.

Have fun caching!

CanadaKate

We are staying at the Glen Rouge Campground.

I have pocket queues for almost all of Ontario (~44 total), which includes one that has the cordinates for the camp ground. Including the few out of town queues, I have ~18k geocaches listed in GSAK.

Juicepig;

We lived in and around the GTA for about 5 years. Nice visit, but definately has it's locations to avoid camping in.

I was not a GeoCacher back then, so I don't know where the good areas to hit are. It'll be my wife, myself and little Cohen in the backpack.

This urban camping/caching is going to be something different for me.

You are in the heartland of geocaching right in the Glen Rouge Campground as the park that extends off there offers quite a few fun geocaches if you like to hike.

An infamous geocacher who goes by the name of entogeek :) happens to have plenty of caches around this area and would be more than happy to take you to a few of them if you like. If you don't mind travelling a few extra kilometers, there are two really interesting Restin' caches located in a forested area - both are on opposite sides of the same road.

GC1XBZ3 and GC1XEV2

Indeed, if you are staying at Glen Rouge you have at least one full day of caching, maybe two, without even getting in your car. Must agree with entogeek ... the caches he mentions are the most fascinating cemetery caches we have ever seen.

Of course, we would recommend GC2AXTH, "NRV", which is within mere metres of the campground. "NRV" is a common caching acronym, from the Latin "nostrum regius victoria" which means "our royal victory".

Indeed, if you are staying at Glen Rouge you have at least one full day of caching, maybe two, without even getting in your car. Must agree with entogeek ... the caches he mentions are the most fascinating cemetery caches we have ever seen.

Of course, we would recommend GC2AXTH, "NRV", which is within mere metres of the campground. "NRV" is a common caching acronym, from the Latin "nostrum regius victoria" which means "our royal victory".