Passports for Travel Bugs

Talzhemir

In an effort to help your Travel Bug stay in circulation, here's a .PDF file "Passport" (printable from this web browser and your computer's printer on standard paper). The one who sends out a Travel Bug isn't really an "owner" anymore, so I've dubbed you the "Sponsor".

Fold the page over twice to make a little card or booklet. (You can fold it once more if you need to.) You can also add to the Passport's durability by putting a little bit of tape on each of its four corners before you fold it.

One piece of tape in the very center where the folds cross is also helpful. Trimming the corners with a scissors or a corner-clipper (for scrapbooking) will both make it look more like a passport and prevent the corners from getting dogeared.

After it's folded, one corner is clear of rinting so you can reinforce it with transparent tape, then make a hole for a foot-long chain of rubber bands. Attach this tether to your Travel Bug so it won't lose its new Passport.

Travel Bug Passport (for a Bug that HAS a Travelbug Tag & Number)

----------

Here's another version of the Passport, for a Travel Bug who doesn't have an official Travel Bug tag. It makes reference to a web page, which you fill in. It also makes reference to an email address. (You should set up an email account for free at someplace like hotmail.com if you don't want to give out your personal address.)

Travel Bug Passport (for a Bug WITHOUT a Tag)

Brightest blessings to you,

Talzhemir

P.S.: I suspect that a Travel Bug fares better if it's something relatively homely, and not the cutest thing you ever saw

First and foremost, thanks for coming up with something new and doing a great job at making it look crisp and clean.

I'm curious though, what is the advantage of placing one of these on a normal travel bug? Doesn't the website keep all of the same information?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your idea. I just don't fully understand, yet. I already stuck an info card to my bug and don't want to weigh the little feller down with too much stuff. This would also require a zip lock bag now to ensure the card doesn't get wet as the info card is laminated.

This does however, give me a great idea to make a travel bug passport for use in only letterboxes. That would be cool!

Do you mind sharing the original documents you used so that I could modify them?

PS Your second link doesn't work.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

A really nice job on your lay-out, I don't know if these will make any differance or not. I printed a few out (used official looking pass-port paper) --- I just place a TB in a new cache,if it's still there in the morning (05-21-02) I'll attach one of these to it and see how it flies.

Mzee --- The Seeker! icon_rolleyes.gif

A really nice job on your lay-out, I don't know if these will make any differance or not. I printed a few out (used official looking pass-port paper) --- I just place a TB in a new cache,if it's still there in the morning (05-21-02) I'll attach one of these to it and see how it flies.

Mzee --- The Seeker! icon_rolleyes.gif

I think it's wise to give your Travelbug its own Passport because the information on the tag is vague and limited.

#1. All too often, the Finder doesn't realize there's an obligation incurred by picking up Travelbug. The Passport addresses this right away by saying right away, "Put me back in a cache soon. If you don't want this responsibility, please leave me for someone else to take. I love to explore and travel as much as you do!"

#2. The Finder may not realize that a Travelbug tag (and the web page that goes with it) costs somebody some amount of real-world moolah. The Passport reads, "I love my Travelbug tag! Isn't it cool? It cost my Sponsor $6.50." The Travelbug tag is a GORGEOUS little symmetrical aluminum cartouche, especially if you happen to have an inordinate fondness for beetles.

#3. Without putting too fine a point on it, the immediate list of "hosts" indirectly says that it took many people to get a travelbug that far, and it would be a shame if their charming efforts ended with you.

---------

Dear Dekaner: I mistyped; it's fixed now. Thanks! Here is the original document in .AI format; that's what I use to construct a .PDF.

Travelbug Passport in Adobe Illustrator (.AI) format

---------

Dear Mzee: Passport paper? good idea!

---------

I'll be sure to use this form for all of my future TBugs.

Folks seems to let their kids keep the bugs, far as I can tell (North Dallas parents are THE WORST)

Thanks for the form dood!

If you take a dump in your mess kit you'll go to bed hungry.

I just released my first bug a few days ago and spent a lot of time putting together something w/ similar information but not nearly so nice looking!

I think it's important to the bug's "survival" to include as much information as possible and not trust people to understand what a bug is or to go to the website. Obviously, geocachers are much more astute than your average John Q, but one needs to be prepared for "the common denominator" getting a bug.

Thanks!