So many choices, so much confusion over which unit to choose

I found several caches last summer (unfortunately I didn't log all of them) and I have been out finding several in the last week or two also. Last summer I used an iphone plus an old etrex and both were a long way from "high sensitivity," so I have been thinking seriously about buying a nice handheld unit. I like the simple look of the Oregons and spotted a seller on ebay that has a bunch of refurbished 400t's for $299, but I wonder if I'm making the right choice. I've looked at the 450t and realize it has a tilt-compensated 3-axis compass, but is that something I really need? If I just compare features with no real way to gauge if I truly need them I would wind up buying the most expensive GPS and that is foolish if I have no real reason for said features. It's a confusing decision and one that I've seen discussed in many forum posts here.

I will add to the confusion a little bit by mentioning that my htc EVO phone has been incredibly accurate placing me in a very tight radius, but when I venture under any real foliage I lose a bit of signal, now how much I lose in comparison to a dedicated handheld unit I have no way of knowing. The phone works really nice and is a totally paperless system, so it's not like I am not happy just using my phone. On the other hand I am placing the phone in the way of danger, so that makes me worry a bit. Please feel free to give me your thoughts and opinions guys and as always, Thanks in advance!

Edited by BrickAlley

For caching the 3 axis compass is pointless if you wil pardon the pun :unsure:. If you were an avid hiker or explorer and spents weekends in unknown wilderness i could see basing a purchase on it. The biggest reason i can see getting a 450t over the 400t is reports are that the screen is a little easier to read in bright sunlight. Garmin seems to be a little more attentive to the x50 series also. There have been 2 beta releases for them recently and x00 owners are wondering why they are being neglected - with good reason.

I have the EVO and it does make a great caching device, especially if you are lucky enough to have 3G coverage. Never a need to hook it to a computer to download caches and the aerial photos and street level nav etc is super nice. Even dedicated handhelds will get a little crazy under foliage and I've yet to try it with my EVO so I can't tell you for sure how much better a 450t would perform.

My honest opinion is to get a dedicated unit if you are really going to be caching a good amount. If its an occasional thing with a couple of grabs and not far from your vehicle or home then the EVO is more than enough. As you mentioned, you are putting a very nice phone at risk but something else to think of is battery drain. EVO's are known for super battery life as it is and if you end up on a hike away from the car and need the phone to be a phone and the battery is dead it's not good.

Post any other question if ya have them. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some insight.

Take care

For caching the 3 axis compass is pointless if you wil pardon the pun

I found quite the opposite. The compass is a key tool for cache hunting with a hand held unit. Though I love my 60CSX its major drawback is that it does not have a 3 axis compass, so it as to be held perfectly level for it to work properly. This is not always easy when walking over difficult terrain.

The 3 axis compasses in my PN40 and Endura Sierra are very convenient, as I don't have to worry about proper orientation of the units.

While a magnetic compass is not essential for geocaching, if you want a unit with a magnetic compass, the 3 axis compass is the better choice. The OP just has to decide whether or not it is worth the additional money. I personally think between the 3 axis compass and better display in the 450 make it the clear winner.

Edited by briansnat
The biggest reason i can see getting a 450t over the 400t is reports are that the screen is a little easier to read in bright sunlight. Garmin seems to be a little more attentive to the x50 series also.

I agree. I have a 400T and got a 450. Much better and the updates keep coming for the x50 while the x00 seems to be reaching the red headed step child status.

I found several caches last summer (unfortunately I didn't log all of them) and I have been out finding several in the last week or two also. Last summer I used an iphone plus an old etrex and both were a long way from "high sensitivity," so I have been thinking seriously about buying a nice handheld unit. I like the simple look of the Oregons and spotted a seller on ebay that has a bunch of refurbished 400t's for $299, but I wonder if I'm making the right choice. I've looked at the 450t and realize it has a tilt-compensated 3-axis compass, but is that something I really need? If I just compare features with no real way to gauge if I truly need them I would wind up buying the most expensive GPS and that is foolish if I have no real reason for said features. It's a confusing decision and one that I've seen discussed in many forum posts here.

I will add to the confusion a little bit by mentioning that my htc EVO phone has been incredibly accurate placing me in a very tight radius, but when I venture under any real foliage I lose a bit of signal, now how much I lose in comparison to a dedicated handheld unit I have no way of knowing. The phone works really nice and is a totally paperless system, so it's not like I am not happy just using my phone. On the other hand I am placing the phone in the way of danger, so that makes me worry a bit. Please feel free to give me your thoughts and opinions guys and as always, Thanks in advance!

I just gave an geomate jr. an extensive workout. Cached from Riverside,Ca. to Louisianna and I have one thing to say actually two. First for geocaching only ,It ranks up there with the best.Second,I bet that Garmin,Magellan and the rest wished they thought of it.