Digging for a disk...

glorkar

Okay, this may sound like a stupid question. But then again, there's a saying about there not being any stupid questions, just stupid people :unsure:

Some benchmark disks you have to dig for. It's inevitable.

My questions is, when should you put the dirt back on?

I've seen a few data sheets that mention the disk is under 3 inches (random number) of dirt. In one of my other posts on here ("Stone Benchmarks") somebody posted a link: St. Deroin Recovery and Remonumenting. In that story, after they remonumented the mark, they covered it "to protect it."

The only two I've found that I had to dig for were both near rail/street crossings (read: out of the way.) I can understand the St. Deroin one being covered (it's on a trail that gets machine groomed.)

So again I ask, when should a mark be buried after recovery?

Will someone trip in your hole?

Will someone object to the looks?

Will the disk be injured by what passes over it?

If none of the above, I'd leave it open.

I agree with Bill. It's really a common sense call.....depending on where the disk is.

We have dug several out in yards and pastures, that we always fill back in, to make sure a person or animal (don't forget them) won't fall in. You cause somebody's horse to get injured around here, and you're likely to get shot, quartered, and hung..........and that's if they like you :unsure:

Some that are just barely underneath the grass or leaves, we have left out.

At a few sites, after verifying the disk, and covering it back over.....we have left flagging in place at the request of the homeowner......so they would know where the disks were like below:

http://img.geocaching.com/benchmark/lg/cde...a66a965191b.jpg

Edited by LSUFan