Using a metal detector to find Ammo cans?

I have been searching the area for some time now. I just can't find it. I was thinking of using a metal detector to find it. I am thinking maybe it was muggled? :unsure:

Cheating seems to be a vague area, seems to me anyway. There's no rule against it, you are the only one who would know, could you sleep at night knowing? For me, it would take away the fun of the hunt. Play the game you want to play.

I have been searching the area for some time now. I just can't find it. I was thinking of using a metal detector to find it. I am thinking maybe it was muggled? :unsure:

Cheating seems to be a vague area, seems to me anyway. There's no rule against it, you are the only one who would know, could you sleep at night knowing? For me, it would take away the fun of the hunt. Play the game you want to play.

I fail to see how it could be considered cheating or take away from the fun of the hunt.

A metal detector is a tool just the same as a GPS'r or a compass is.

I'm not saying it should be used right away on every hide but I see no problem in using it.

A find is a find.

I do know one local CO glued a cache to a rock and to make the matters worse, its in a huge rock pile!! To make the finder do the hard work, the cache is made out of a material that a metal detector wont find. -_-

Edited by SwineFlew

I fail to see how it could be considered cheating or take away from the fun of the hunt.

A metal detector is a tool just the same as a GPS'r or a compass is.

I'm not saying it should be used right away on every hide but I see no problem in using it.

I agree, it's not really cheating, there are no rules. It's all in how you want to play the game.

I see little need for one, outside of the possibility of the smaller wand-type detector.

Others are just too large/bulky for carrying about. The wand-type could conceivably fit into a geo-pack.

EDIT: More useful is a "plastic" detector -- to locate those film canisters and McToys-only caches. No metal within or a part of the cache renders a detector useless dead weight.

An ammo can is relatively easy to find w/o a metal detector.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

An ammo can is relatively easy to find w/o a metal detector.

A fellow cacher and myself have been to one location a few times and probably have over four hours of combined search time...still haven't found that ammo can. It hadn't been found for a year at that time...not that it had a long string of DNFs, just that it's the bonus for a series of caches...which a few have gone missing so now the clues aren't all there. We had it narrowed down pretty well for the first few hours of our search, the got confirmation from a previous finder that our solution was correct so we knew we were in the right spot. At this point, it hasn't been found in three years, is in an area covered with fern, is buried under leaves and such from a few years of being lost, and even one of the last to find it only found it because they tripped over it. At this point, a metal detector may be the only way to find it...other than dumb luck.

IK, if you're ever in the DeLand / DeLeon Springs area, could you bring that metal detector with you? We've got some geo-trash (the cache has been archived for over a year now) to find and remove.

I don't carry a metal detector, but my favorite tool in my backpack toolkit is my telescoping magnet. It looks like a pen until you extend it out. I am short, so if a buffalo tube is up where I can't see it (as in a cache I found recently), it helps. If it doesn't stick to anything metal on the container itself, it at least gives a satisfying sound when you use it to poke around.

Never would consider that cheating either :unsure:

Lovellbird

I want an airport security wand for those micros in hedges lol.

http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

This one, meant for finding nails in lumber, may not be as good as the airport types, but it cost a lot less. I bought one, actually helped me find a few caches. But it's not part of my normal tools. Most of the time, if I suspect I might need it, I just do a cursory visual search and move along to the next cache on my list.