electronic cache container concept...need help

i want to make an interesting electronic cache box because in my area...well there just arn't any...i'm trying to encourage the cachers out here to start placing really interesting cache containers and not you basic "skirt lifters"

my concept is this: the box will be a some sort of heavy duty project enclosures you can find at your local radio shack...there will be 6-10 on/off switches assembeled in a row on the face of the container...in order to open the container the switches will have to be set in a certain order...example where on=1 off=0...switch positions: 100110101 (not set order but just and example)....

what i need help with is schematic help...i know the basics of electronics and components...i know the on switches would ultimately complete the circuit and turn some kind of servo motor acting as a lock....my problem would be waterproofing this container as to not damage the electronics and fry the whole project...maybe putting the entire thing in a seperate waterproof container...so far that's all i can think of for that...if anyone with electronics knowledge can help with a schematic...i would be much appreciative....

i want to make an interesting electronic cache box because in my area...well there just arn't any...i'm trying to encourage the cachers out here to start placing really interesting cache containers and not you basic "skirt lifters"

my concept is this: the box will be a some sort of heavy duty project enclosures you can find at your local radio shack...there will be 6-10 on/off switches assembeled in a row on the face of the container...in order to open the container the switches will have to be set in a certain order...example where on=1 off=0...switch positions: 100110101 (not set order but just and example)....

what i need help with is schematic help...i know the basics of electronics and components...i know the on switches would ultimately complete the circuit and turn some kind of servo motor acting as a lock....my problem would be waterproofing this container as to not damage the electronics and fry the whole project...maybe putting the entire thing in a seperate waterproof container...so far that's all i can think of for that...if anyone with electronics knowledge can help with a schematic...i would be much appreciative....

A simple schematic would be easy. I would suggest using momentary switches with a combination of NO and NC so that you could trigger a magnetic lock but not have someone accidentally leave the circuit charged and kill the battery.

To wire it you would just put them all in series to the mag lock.

schm.jpg

Edited by bittsen

I can probably draw you up a schematic later if no one else does but I would use an outdoor junction box, single throw outdoor DC switches and a servo as you already thought of.

Good idea. I may steal borrow it if you don't mind.

edited to say that bittsen obviously has faster fingers than I.

Edited by brslk

I can probably draw you up a schematic later if no one else does but I would use an outdoor junction box, single throw outdoor DC switches and a servo as you already thought of.

Single throw...

~LMAO~

Come on, think of how much fun it will be for someone to try to hold the switches while trying all kinds of combos.

Now, for a different take.

Put together a box with the pushbutton switches and the lid locked but leave the bottom of the box open so that the switches don't do a thing.

oh i don't mind at all...that's why i'm posting this...like i stated...i'm trying to encourage the use of more creative thought about caches instead of just throwing up some key holders under lamp skirts...

Single throw...

~LMAO~

Come on, think of how much fun it will be for someone to try to hold the switches while trying all kinds of combos.

Put together a box with the pushbutton switches and the lid locked but leave the bottom of the box open so that the switches don't do a thing.

LOL...that would be a site so see...and i've come across a box like that...it was locked with no key and not puzzle to it...took me about an hour to figure out that it had a trap door on the bottom of it...

A simple schematic would be easy. I would suggest using momentary switches with a combination of NO and NC so that you could trigger a magnetic lock but not have someone accidentally leave the circuit charged and kill the battery.

To wire it you would just put them all in series to the mag lock.

schm.jpg

this just seems very easy...another question...how could i assemble the actual lock to the lid or whatever part opens...

My only contribution to the design is to make the battery compartment accessible from outside, so that if the batteries are dead, the person attempting the cache can use their own. If it is powered by 2 AA batteries, they can, in a pinch, use those in their GPSr to unlock the container.

so if i'm understanding this right...one would have to press and hold the certain combonation of momentary switches in order to activate the magnetic lock...now does the NO and NC switches wired in series wire differently...why not just wire the switches that i want to be the combo and leave the others as decoy switches.....(nevermind just thought of something for that....you could just press all the switches at once and it would still open)

My only contribution to the design is to make the battery compartment accessible from outside, so that if the batteries are dead, the person attempting the cache can use their own. If it is powered by 2 AA batteries, they can, in a pinch, use those in their GPSr to unlock the container.

good idea...

I just misread the 'Most creative find ever?' post by ryjacamp and might have hit on a slightly different twist and one that would save waterproofing problems. Glue some magnetically operated reed switches at random places on the inside of a plastic box and the cacher would have to place magnets provided in the correct positions on the outside of the box to operate these and open it. All sorts of puzzle designs could be stuck to the outside to guide the placing of the magnets. Also some normally closed switches could be thrown in to prevent cheating with additional magnets.

Has this been done before ?

I've been toying with a similar idea that instead of using a bunch of switches to open an electronic lock it would be used in a the first stage of a puzzle cache (you'd have to solve a puzzle first from the page listing to get a list of binary strings). The switches (it would require a lot of them) would be hooked to 15 seven segment LEDs. Set the switches correctly and you'll get the coordinates for the finale. I've thought about doing it as a virtual LED display as well. A seven segment LED uses 7 pins (labeled a through f) to turn on the segments. A puzzle which rather than generating a list of numbers listed a sequence of a through f character strings could produce the correct switch settings. For example, if an upper case character were used to indicated a switch was turned on, ABcDEfG would be used to display a 2.

I've been toying with a similar idea that instead of using a bunch of switches to open an electronic lock it would be used in a the first stage of a puzzle cache (you'd have to solve a puzzle first from the page listing to get a list of binary strings). The switches (it would require a lot of them) would be hooked to 15 seven segment LEDs. Set the switches correctly and you'll get the coordinates for the finale. I've thought about doing it as a virtual LED display as well. A seven segment LED uses 7 pins (labeled a through f) to turn on the segments. A puzzle which rather than generating a list of numbers listed a sequence of a through f character strings could produce the correct switch settings. For example, if an upper case character were used to indicated a switch was turned on, ABcDEfG would be used to display a 2.

i really like this idea....and i recently saw it on a webpage forum somewhere...some elecronic guru site...they had wonderful shematics and the box he was trying to make was quite complex with the parts and such...he even had his to were you'd open the lid and a prerecorded track would say something...and the when you hit the right combonation green leds would come on and dance around the box and another voice would say something...then the end voice would say "please return all switches to thier off position"....it was pretty unique and a lot of work to do....i'm wanting to make mine pretty simple due to cost and such...i wouldn't want a box that i put 60 - 70 dollars into to get muggled....

Make a waterproof battery compartment OUTSIDE the box or you won't be able to open it when (Not if) the batteries go dead. I also liked the suggestion of the cache finder using their own batteries.(Have to make a note in the listing about that, though.)

I Love the trap door bottom idea. Hilarious!

I'm working on a set of two of them. One involves a Balloon, and a 'Mailbox'. The other involves a box of 8 Switches.

For the First, I just need to get the mailbox. The Second, where to place it.

The Steaks

P.S. BOTH of these caches are copies of caches that I've Personally done!

No need for a fancy circuit to do this... just a set of switches with no labels on them. Wire them in series so that all of them have to be "On" for the lock to open. Then mount some of them upside down, so that some have to be "up" and others have to be "down" in order for all of them to be "on."

My puzzle cache GC1RKTP the outlet mall is a 12 volt system using outlets as NC and NO switches. Changing the code can be done by moving the outlets around or changing the order of the leds. It is powered by a motorcycle battery with a solar recharging panel. It has worked well for over a year with little maintenance.

My other puzzle cache GC19WNZ the air of your ways 64 to 1 odds is fully pnuematic with a series of six switches that have to be in the correct position to reveal a code to open a locked ammo box. It has a bicycle pump to provide air pressure to operate it.

I sure hope you guys are prepared for a lot of cache maintenance! Either that, or build it like you were an engineer for the ISS. Not only is the weather going to try its best to interfere with your designs, but so will frustrated, rushed, and, quite frankly... clueless cachers.

Single throw...

~LMAO~

\------------

OH thats GREAT.. and set that in an ammo box have buttons and a handle..(or no handle....evil) and let them sweat.. oh i'd get some 'interesting" logs for that

Single throw...

~LMAO~

\------------

OH thats GREAT.. and set that in an ammo box have buttons and a handle..(or no handle....evil) and let them sweat.. oh i'd get some 'interesting" logs for that

And then use a large chain and a combination lock to secure the ammo can next to a tree. The combination lock would be a "fake" and have a removable back where one can find the log sheet.

But that would be evil.

Well darn, here I was thinking that my idea was original and then I find this thread.

I'm about 75% complete with "Fingers in the Dike". This is a weatherproof wooden box with a combination locked front door intended to protect the electronics from the weather and muggles. The combination would be provided in the description of the cache.

Inside that locked door is a large panel that has a plug for a nine-volt battery and ten push button switches. These switches are spread far enough apart that even with big hands, a person cannot push all the buttons at the same time. A solenoid lock on the cache door is activated (released) when all 10 buttons are pressed simultaneously. The door can be closed without holding down the switches.