What are Geo-Tool(s)?

GeoAndIrishSport

I apologize if this question is asked somewhere else, but I tried searching with GeoTool, Geo-Tool, Tool, Tools, and found nothing that seemed to answer specifically.

In this post City Limits - East (Salem, OR), or if that link doesn't work, perhaps this will GC209P1.

The post basically says this: "A quick find and retrival using my geo-tool. TFTH"

There are a couple of posts I've seen referring to Geo-Tools, but this was just one I picked for the question.

Is there a list somewhere that explains what this means?

Thanks for helping out one of the Newbies.

Many experienced geocachers carry various tools and gadgets to help find/retrieve caches. Examples include mirrors and magnetic pick-up tools with telescoping handles (used by mechanics), magnets attached to monofilament line, grabber tools, flashlights, and even folding stepladders. I'm more familiar with the term TOTT (Tool Of The Trade), but geo-tool could describe such equipment as well.

I apologize if this question is asked somewhere else, but I tried searching with GeoTool, Geo-Tool, Tool, Tools, and found nothing that seemed to answer specifically.

In this post City Limits - East (Salem, OR), or if that link doesn't work, perhaps this will GC209P1.

The post basically says this: "A quick find and retrival using my geo-tool. TFTH"

There are a couple of posts I've seen referring to Geo-Tools, but this was just one I picked for the question.

They are just things you use while caching to help you. Like tweezers for getting the logs out of micros. Some sort of grabbing device for getting a cache out of a tree. Maybe a hiking stick to poke around in places you don't want to put you hand. Anything you use to help you play the game.

Here's a thread that lists several things people use.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=239015&hl=

Many experienced geocachers carry various tools and gadgets to help find/retrieve caches. Examples include mirrors and magnetic pick-up tools with telescoping handles (used by mechanics), magnets attached to monofilament line, grabber tools, flashlights, and even folding stepladders. I'm more familiar with the term TOTT (Tool Of The Trade), but geo-tool could describe such equipment as well.

According to a recent seeker of one of my caches any time a geo tool is used the cache must automatically be rated a difficulity 5

According to a recent seeker of one of my caches any time a geo tool is used the cache must automatically be rated a difficulity 5
According to the ClayJar geocache rating system recommended by Groundspeak, a cache with 5-star difficulty "requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache."

Is a geotool or TOTT really "specialized equipment"? And even if specialized equipment is used by a cache seeker, that doesn't mean that specialized equipment is required to find the cache.

On a recent find, a magnetic micro was HIGH up on a metal post. The post was a bit too small to hold my weight (at least I think it was).

I used my 7' walking stick -- it has an old golf-shoe spike in the tip (VERY hard to find them now-a-days). I merely used that to get the magnet to transfer to the tip. Replaced the micro in the same fashion.

Just an example of a handy TOTT.

Other tools:

Pointy tweezers (not eyebrow tweezers, but the long surgical-type)

Mechanic's grabber (mentioned)

Chewing gum comes in handy occasionally (bubble gum is best) -_-

A straightened metal coat-hanger (tape a dental mirror to it, also when you need to)

Gerber (or other) multi-tool

Magnet

Heavy cord

Best tool-of-the-trade: a 7-yr old with monkey climbing abilities :unsure:

EDIT: Forgot the small backpack, to carry the TOTT, SWAG, first aid, flashlight(s), fire-making and tinder, water/munchies, rain gear, extra logbooks, baggies, pens/pencils, magnetic compass, bug repellant, and for us -- bear spray.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I think that recent seeker is off base. Using a flashlight, screwdriver, tweezers, step ladder, etc. require no specialized skill or knowledge.

Have you tried asking the person who used the term?

Looks like you've gotten a lot of good answers already, but it's nice to see another fairly local cacher on here. I live in Junction City. If you get a chance, check out some of the SAGA (Salem Area Geocaching Association) events. They are a GREAT group of cachers, and also SWAG (Santiam Willamette Area Geocachers); another great group!

Happy Caching :unsure: