Ready to Hide Caches as swag

So this evening while working on the van, a new cache publication came in on the Blackberry. It was close, so when I finished the brakes, I hoped in the van and off I went. Had the GPS, and a flashlight in hand (was ~10PM when I was heading out). What I did forget was the swag container.

So when I parked near the cache, I grabbed one of the ready to hide micro caches (35mm film canister with log strip and GC instructions) and used it as swag.

So my question is, What do you guys think of using these ready to hide caches as swag on occation?

I am not planning on using too many, but I figured they could make decent swag.

So this evening while working on the van, a new cache publication came in on the Blackberry. It was close, so when I finished the brakes, I hoped in the van and off I went. Had the GPS, and a flashlight in hand (was ~10PM when I was heading out). What I did forget was the swag container.

So when I parked near the cache, I grabbed one of the ready to hide micro caches (35mm film canister with log strip and GC instructions) and used it as swag.

So my question is, What do you guys think of using these ready to hide caches as swag on occation?

I am not planning on using too many, but I figured they could make decent swag.

There are 'seed' caches that provide people with containers to place thier own caches.

So, seems like fair swag.

A better use for a film can is that you can actually stuff a full-sized kitchen (Glad, Hefty) garbage sack into one and offer it up for CITO usage.

35 mm film can??? No. That's no good at all. Now one of those Orange match holders for $1 at wally world, now your talking.

BLAH @ film cans...

Go to that same wally world, and ask the photo lab for some 35mm canisters. You'll get a bag full free.

I don't plan on using too many of them as swag. I just thought they would be decent if I am out and about, specially if I don't have the swag container with me. I have a couple of these in the glovel box of both vehicles as you never know when you'll find a cool spot for one.

I've done it a number of times using the small Lock n Locks and have had the pleasure of finding the cache after it has been placed on several occasions. Funny finding a cache in a container painted the way I paint mine and containing a log book identical to mine. Then I realize i was mine.

ready to hide caches as swag on occation

sure, but film cans aren't good cache containers - leaving an item you got for free that has some paper in it is about like leaving a penny. It's okay, but seriously, don't take anything of value for it. And don't encourage people to hide 'em. They are the poster child for the poor quality container most apt to be used for the pointless hide.

I've been leaving cache ready decons (when I could get them) lock and locks, matchsafes, and a couple of times ammo cans next to the ammo can I hunted.

The $1 matchsafe is clearly the most affordable, though the lock and lock sets are sometimes available at just over $2 per container.

There are 'seed' caches that provide people with containers to place thier own caches

All those are old and grandfathered. Publishing a cache that encourages the placing of caches such as a "seed" cache violate current guidelines.

They're not referring to a published cache that encourages placement of a new cache. There are swag seed caches as well that have nothing to do with the published cache other than they are placed in a cache by a cache finder. I confiscated a seed cache from my friend at one point and am holding it until he is able to responsibly place it (and now he has a plan). But the instructions on the swag seed cache he found is that he must place it with in a month or something like that. I have it here all safe and sound for when he gets permission and figures out what he's doing. I think seed caches like that that denote a time line are a bad idea.

There are 'seed' caches that provide people with containers to place thier own caches

All those are old and grandfathered. Publishing a cache that encourages the placing of caches such as a "seed" cache violate current guidelines.

Only a violation if the placement of a cache is a requirement to log the find. Nothing in the rules say you can't leave ready made caches as swag.

ready to hide caches as swag on occation

sure, but film cans aren't good cache containers - leaving an item you got for free that has some paper in it is about like leaving a penny. It's okay, but seriously, don't take anything of value for it. And don't encourage people to hide 'em. They are the poster child for the poor quality container most apt to be used for the pointless hide.

If you use the film canisters with the external type lid, not the lid that pushes into the canister (no idea how to better describe them), they do hold against the elements a lot better then the magnetic 'hide a keys' commonly used. Being that a ziplock baggy won't fit in these to hold the log, I use 'write in the rain' paper.

I bolded my favorite part of your comment. I personally don't geocache for swag, I geocache for the hunt and find. For a young family out geocaching for the day, a ready to hide geocache will probably hold much higher value to them then some dollar store toys.

I have a stack of small ready made to hide caches that I am ready to hide, and would not consider it bad form to leave one of these as SWAG trade... especially since mine are fully GTG with logbook, pencil, sharpener, and loaded with their own SWAG... would leave film cans or Kinder eggs with CITO bags only as swag in an understocked cache, and would leave bison tubes as SWAG as well with cache logs in place... have stocked some of my initial hides with these ready to go caches as well...

I have a stack of small ready made to hide caches that I am ready to hide, and would not consider it bad form to leave one of these as SWAG trade... especially since mine are fully GTG with logbook, pencil, sharpener, and loaded with their own SWAG... would leave film cans or Kinder eggs with CITO bags only as swag in an understocked cache, and would leave bison tubes as SWAG as well with cache logs in place... have stocked some of my initial hides with these ready to go caches as well...

Those film cans with CITO bags are some of the few swag items I will trade for. I love them.

A better use for a film can is that you can actually stuff a full-sized kitchen (Glad, Hefty) garbage sack into one and offer it up for CITO usage.

Something in there just seems backwards. :unsure:

When you start picking up trash, the film can is the first thing to go in the bag! :)

Or you put in your pocket so that at home you can put a new bag in it and leave in the next cache you find.

(35mm film canister with log strip and GC instructions)

You do know that this is the poster child for crappy containers, right? :unsure:

While the kinda clear ones with the lid that snaps into the body make for pretty good containers, the black & grey ones are so incredibly crappy as to make me wonder if folks who hide them even engage a single brain cell in the process. Wet moldy logs are a real problem in this game, and if you are leaving crappy containers as swag, you are greatly contributing to that problem. For roughly $0.88, you can get a match safe at Wally World, and offer a much better container. For about $0.60, you can get soda bottle preforms, which are even better than match safes. :)