Bonding with My Teenage Daughter

I took a GPS class through the state with the intention of just getting a college credit. I had no idea that I was going to find the best hobby ever!!! :unsure: There are so few things that 13 year old's (or teenagers in general) want to do with their mom. Geocaching was the ticket! My daughter asks every morning if we're going that day.

I've got to give a shout-out to my instructor for opening up this world to me and my family. Thanks Jared and the Crimson_Crew of Utah!

utahteacher & utahstudent

There's a Mom and teenage daughter in our neck of the woods who love caching together. The daughter is the instigator in the FTF hunts.....and Mom doesn't say "no." Mom loves the fact that her daughter would rather spend time caching with her - like the OP, it has been a great bonding experience for an already close pair!

Of all the hikes I've done to geocaches, my favorite was hiking to the Mission 9 "Tunnel of Light," Ape cache with my eight year old daughter.

149df276-edad-4b7c-9fab-dbcf9ec231fd.jpg

44ad7d17-c2dd-48bb-a20f-034b767fdc06.jpg

I love to take my family with me to geocache outdoors. We take time to smell the flowers, look at the animal tracks, enjoy the views, and admire God's creation.

Yes, my 16 yr old daughter enjoys going caching but only in the fall and winter for some reason. I think it's because our 13 yr old son is working with his dad in the fields and can't go with us. I also have a 9 yr old daughter who is just now asking to go with us. We have had some great conversations while driving around. We've talked about things I never dreamed they would want to talk about- both good and bad!

Actually my 9 yr old is the only child enrolled in the new 4H project GPS Technology, or so we've heard. I told her it was very bad form to show muggles where caches are so she decided instead to take the project judge on a "Historic Cemetery Tour". We went by ourselves to take close photos of each one while I gave her the real and/or traditional history of the cemetery and the people in it. She was disappointed when we had to stop at 6 cemeteries! She was having so much fun marking and photographing each cemetery that she didn't want to stop. Before we'd gotten home she was asking when we can go snag another cache!

I wish my parents were interested in geocaching... My dad thinks it's interesting and will go to events with me, but not on an actual cache run. Mom couldn't care less-- I'm the weirdo who won't go shopping or get my nails done. I'm headed off to college next year and we really don't spend any time together.

I'm happy for you guys, you're really lucky that you have something in common. Happy caching!

my daughter wants to do it but doesnt. she likes the finding of bouncy balls etc in caches but doesnt like the walk. if it was a case she sat there then you brought the caches to her it would suit her to the ground lol. there has been some series she has been mega keen to do, but recently she (now coming into her teens) cant be bothered or wants to sit there playing ds all day and then moans at the end of the day when thats all she has done.

I wish my parents were interested in geocaching... My dad thinks it's interesting and will go to events with me, but not on an actual cache run. Mom couldn't care less-- I'm the weirdo who won't go shopping or get my nails done. I'm headed off to college next year and we really don't spend any time together.

I'm happy for you guys, you're really lucky that you have something in common. Happy caching!

As a parent of a girl, this is one of the saddest posts I've read. But then, my daughter has no interest in caching as well.

Though it should really be your parents job to find ways to spend time with you..... How about figuring out things they like to do and compromise. So your mom likes to shop - why not suggest a trip to that outlet mall on the other side of town and make a couple of geocaching stops on the way. Maybe your dad likes to ride a bike - suggest a ride through a new park, stopping at geocaches along the way. Or perhaps he like old car/plane or military stuff :- find a military or plane museum some distance away that has some caches nearby or on the way.

My wife and kids dont cache but my wife doesn't mind a stroll along flat trails as long as it's not too long so I can find things to do with her. My son doesn't geocache needs to be dragged away from his video games but he quite likes taking photos so I try and find places with photo opportunities. I can't get them out all the time but now-and-then works out fine.

Well part of the problem is they work all the time. My disabled grandmother lives with us and we take care of her, so that takes a lot of money. Plus, we moved to California a few years ago because of my dad's work, and everything here is more expensive-- that ate up savings pretty quick. We don't have time to go places or drive anywhere, except maybe once a year and that's only if its something important.

I got to go to Geowoodstock this year and the Lost and Found Celebration, but only because we were in Seattle to see the University of Washington campus. We drove for 16 hours, only stopping for food. No time for caching on the way. I'm glad I got to go to the events, but it wasn't a proper "vacation".

Heck, I don't even get to cache much here in Roseville because it's in the 100s during the day and I can't go out alone after dark.

I picked the wrong hobby, didn't I? :unsure:

My 9 year-old son is a challenge, in a good way. He's very smart but quirky, he's been diagnosed in the past on the autism spectrum, though I've questioned that since while he's quirky he has a great sense of humor! Anyway, it's been hard to find something outside that interests him...that is until geocaching. I got him a GeoMate Jr. and while we're relatively new at this, we've been trying to sneak out when we can to find caches. He's already written an "Introduction to Geocaching" that he plans to put in the first cache we find.

I've never seen him as into something as this. It makes sense though, since it involves technology and puzzles - both things he enjoys very much. I am so happy that we've found something to do together!

That is so good TeamTarr. My 18 year old son, who also has autism, likes going geocaching with me on the weekends too. So glad that your son has found an interest. My son has very limited interests, so of course I'm absolutely thrilled that he has decided that he likes to hunt them with me too.

I am in similar situation. My mom wants to geocache but is physically unable. My dad wants to geocache, and will take me on long distance day trips up to 400 Miles round trip. However this is 100% on his time.

I am in similar situation. My mom wants to geocache but is physically unable. My dad wants to geocache, and will take me on long distance day trips up to 400 Miles round trip. However this is 100% on his time.

Sounds like your parent situation has improved dramatically since you first showed up here, CG.

Team Pixos started out with the kids bugging me to do it just so they could get their guide and scout badge. Within one cache for dd she was hooked and the first bouncy ball for Ds he was hooked.

Now they fight about who Mom should go with as they both want me alone.

DS only wants to do cashes with swag, Dd she likes day trips with lots of power caching

(they both got their badge)

Great story OP! I have the same thing here with my 13 year old daughter! She loves it. We have always gone and done fun stuff but she is really into this and so am I. I love fishing but burned her out on it at a young age and she don't really want to go but when this came up she was all in. Most of what I like about fishing is just getting out into nature and checking stuff out. I almost never actually keep a fish just catch and release. This gets me out into nature and new places and when I find a hide it gives you that same kind of thrill as catching a fish. It has been really great for us as well!

-WarNinjas

I'm not a teenager anymore. I live with my older parents. I cache with them a lot, particularly my mother. On my days off when I try and get out the door with the caching bag, my mother will see the bag. She will hurry and get ready and be at the car before I realize it. Of course I only planned on caches that she would be able to get to because I wouldn't dream of NOT taking her. My dad can hardly walk but he loves coming along for the caches too. For him I plan the nice long car rides with nice stops to get the caches. I take pictures for him to see what the cache looked like and he loves hearing about it. My parents are the ones that insisted a cache be placed close by. They have fun with their own cache that people come to visit...even if they can't get out to see all the other caches due to health. I am going to place some TB's on their birthdays so that they can experience caching from home. We have shared so many stories together while out caching it has been awesome. Everyday is a gift we treasure every one, especially to us. Both my parents are cancer survivors.

Just read this post.....I learned about "caching" as I took a course at our local wildlife refuge...and part of the course covered compass reading and navigation (gps) it was hosted by a Conservation Officer...in which he is/was a cacher....I was hooked from that moment...

My son and I have always been very close but since our "treasuring hunting" began....we have bonded 100 times more and experienced so much....he enjoys cemetery hides most especially when there military vets....we have traveled and have seen some beautiful places...and our experiences will last a lifetime.....thanks you the Geocaching community...for keeping this hobby/sport/activity alive...and to all the families that grow closer because of this experience......Good Luck and Happy Caching!!!

My 19 year old daughter and I discovered geocaching this past Feb!! We LOVE it!!!

We started last autumn when Oxford Stone Junior was 3 1/2 - he's now on 363 caches, many he's found first by running ahead / just looking in the right place while dad is too busy looking at the GPS!

Walked 2 miles on Saturday, 3 on Sunday, 18 caches, an aeroplane trackable to play with for a day or two before I pass it on.

So even at that age, there's the bonding but also learning about maps (he can see how the GPS screen and paper map tie up to obvious things like woods, rivers, roads and railways in reality), observation, swapping (not always brilliant at that but learinng to drop off old unwanted toys a younger kid might want) and walking a lot more than his friends, I bet. Hills mud ditches nettles brambles blizzards all taken on without any misadventure. Big part of his education as far as I'm concerned.

Only time will tell if he gets bored of it... I'll never force him to go out but it doesn't take much persuasion at the moment!

I started geocaching at the end of May with my 3 daughters (14,12 & 11). We have many great times already and are looking forward to more. They are the ones who ask to go more often than I ask if anyone wants to go. Our caching has dimished since school started but we try and get out at least once over the weekend. When we go out it gives us time to talk about a bunch of different things too. This hobby has given us the opportunity to spend some real quality time together, and like you utahteacher I am so glad to be spending the time with my girls.

My oldest went out with me a lot last year. There was on event we attended with a friend of mine where the two of them ganged up on me and kept pushing for just one more. We found our last one at 11pm that day (we started at 7am). She's 14 now and has gone a few times with me but has discovered something new unfortunately.... boys... :{ I told her she can't date anyone until she's 16 but any of her 'friends' were more than welcome to go caching with us.... :laughing: