GPSMap 60csx or 62s or 62st?

budbon

I am looking to upgrade my old Garmin 12XL. I am looking at the gpsmap 62s and 62st. I think the 60csx might work for me getting started in geocaching but my concern is because of its age will Garmin quit supporting it as they have my 12XL. I can afford $400 plus. In looking at the 62s and 62st I note the 62st has built in maps but less memory and costs $100+ more. I am assuming the built in maps account for the differance. Am I right? Would I be better off with the 62s and purchasing maps or going for the 62st? Any advise appreciated.

I am looking to upgrade my old Garmin 12XL. I am looking at the gpsmap 62s and 62st. I think the 60csx might work for me getting started in geocaching but my concern is because of its age will Garmin quit supporting it as they have my 12XL. I can afford $400 plus. In looking at the 62s and 62st I note the 62st has built in maps but less memory and costs $100+ more. I am assuming the built in maps account for the differance. Am I right? Would I be better off with the 62s and purchasing maps or going for the 62st? Any advise appreciated.

A better place to ask is in the GPS Technology section, firther down the Groundspeak Forums.

:unsure:

Agree with DragonsWest regarding best place to ask (a mod will probably move this thread). But if it were me, I'd get the 62s because:

1. 60 series is not paperless

2. Topo maps can be downloaded for free from a few sites

3. Garmin 24k maps provide auto-routing in addition to higher detailed topo maps for about the same price ($100), though they cover a smaller region

The 60CSX is a very stable unit. If paperless caching is not important to you, you can get a very good deal on one now. Everyone assumes the 62 will be an improvement and hopefully it is, but I would wait for the reviews to roll in and for the first few firmware upgrades before considering one.

The 60CSX is a very stable unit. If paperless caching is not important to you, you can get a very good deal on one now. Everyone assumes the 62 will be an improvement and hopefully it is, but I would wait for the reviews to roll in and for the first few firmware upgrades before considering one.

For less than a 62s you can get a 60CSx and Nuvi 500.....you will be paperless and have the " Field Notes" feature plus a great unit for driving .

Still madly in love with my 60CSX...

But waiting to hear the reports of those who make the switch.

Someone somewhere said that the 62S doesn't feel as rugged... Any confirmation of that?

I've also read that the 62s gets a satellite fix a little faster, which sounds nice, though accuracy is identical.

Cheers

Andy

Still madly in love with my 60CSX...

But waiting to hear the reports of those who make the switch.

Someone somewhere said that the 62S doesn't feel as rugged... Any confirmation of that?

I've also read that the 62s gets a satellite fix a little faster, which sounds nice, though accuracy is identical.

Cheers

Andy

- not as solid, 3 units have all squeaked. i'm dealing with it. if it becomes a problem and/or they fix it, i'll exchange it at MEC where i bought it because of their rock solid guarantee.

- contantly 3m accuracy.

- gets signal very fast, even if i turn it on in the house in the basement.

- paperless is absoluetly amazing. no need to print out, no need to carry a 2nd unit (iphone or nuvi etc)

I have a vista hcx and venture hc and have been toying with the idea of getting the 60 while it's on sale. I do not need paperless so that is not an issue, although to tell the truth, I havn't had paperless so I don't know what I'm missing.

I geocach some, but I do more hiking/hunting and just general messing around with my gpsr. I love the long battery life of the vista, but entering notes in the field is like typing on an ouiga board! I have recently started utilizing this though because I can put notes about differant hunting and hiking spots. I use the free maps from gpsfilesdepot.com, and have a cheap nuvi for my vehicle.

My main concern is that the 60sx will not do anything that my vista doesn't already do.

I geocach some, but I do more hiking/hunting and just general messing around with my gpsr. I love the long battery life of the vista, but entering notes in the field is like typing on an ouiga board! I have recently started utilizing this though because I can put notes about differant hunting and hiking spots.

You'd probably like text entry on the touch screen models a lot more. As far as I'm concerned, its one of their few advantages over the 62 series.

You'd probably like text entry on the touch screen models a lot more. As far as I'm concerned, its one of their few advantages over the 62 series.

I'm not wild about alpha text entry on my OR300. Numbers are fine, but the letter keys are so small that I frequently mis-type the alpha characters.