Magellan Explorist GC - How do I enter coords?

I've been using my the iPhone app for geocaching along with my TomTom GPSr. But my GPSr is old and not all that accurate so I decided to buy the Magellan Explorist GC to use for this instead. My favorite thing about the iPhone app is that wherever I am, I can decide I want to go geocaching and see what's nearby. I know I can't do this with the MEGC, I have to load caches into it from my PC. No biggie. But what if I want to find one using the iPhone and then enter the coordinates into the GPSr, just like I used to with my TomTom? I can't seem to find how to do this. Is it an option? Cos if it's not then I will be sending this back . . .

Toggle to the Flag icon, press the middle button, then press menu, then "Add Waypoint."

You have your choice of clicking:

Current location

Point on Map

Coordinates

Projection

Sounds like you want the "Coordinates", where you enter them, name the waypoint, and save.

Toggle to the Flag icon, press the middle button, then press menu, then "Add Waypoint."

Current location

Point on Map

Coordinates

Projection

Sounds like you want the "Coordinates", where you enter them, name the waypoint, and save.

i was literally walking around brooklyn for an hour today trying to figure out how to manually add coordinates (a friend an i randomly went looking for caches) and i couldnt figure it out. thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!~!!!

Current location

Point on Map

Coordinates

Projection

So then the answer really is that you can't manually enter a geocache, only a waypoint. Waypoints don't allow you to include size, difficulty/terrain, hints, etc. It's not really a *huge* deal for a "paperless" GPS like the eXplorist GC, but it seems bizarre that they left it out when all the functionality is already there. MY biggest complaint is the lack of a manual, and the lack of any instructions on where to find one! *That* is the most bizarre thing of all. (Thanks much for the link)

Current location

Point on Map

Coordinates

Projection

So then the answer really is that you can't manually enter a geocache, only a waypoint. Waypoints don't allow you to include size, difficulty/terrain, hints, etc. It's not really a *huge* deal for a "paperless" GPS like the eXplorist GC, but it seems bizarre that they left it out when all the functionality is already there. MY biggest complaint is the lack of a manual, and the lack of any instructions on where to find one! *That* is the most bizarre thing of all. (Thanks much for the link)

A geocache is a waypoint, just with a differnt icon (at least as far as the GPS knows).

I can't imagine you mean that you want to be able to type in all the geocache info using that annoying toggle button!? I hope you know that you can transfer ALL the info in seconds with a mouseclick when your GPSr and computer are connected! Or do just do a PQ and transfer up to a 1000 geocaches (and waypoints) at a time. I have thousands of caches loaded into my Magellan Explorist GC at any given time. Every few months I delete them all and download new PQs to start over with the latest info.

i was literally walking around brooklyn for an hour today trying to figure out how to manually add coordinates (a friend an i randomly went looking for caches) and i couldnt figure it out. thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!~!!!

This was also me yesterday (although not in Brooklyn). Thanks for the info!

I have the same prob. Started caching on an Iphone, then HTC Evo, but wanted to switch it up to a device that allows me to enter coords & has decent battery life. The Explorist is a gift but I'm unsure if it's right for me. I have two batteries for the Evo so I can cache any time, BUT can't find puzzle caches because I can't find an easy way to navigaate to manually entered coords. Is there a better device for me that's paperless????

Are you saying that you already have an Explorist? If so then it's super easy to manually enter coords. With that and the geocaching app on my iPhone I always cache paperless. (You can easily enter coords in the iPhone app too.) If you don't already have an Explorist then you might post your question as a new thread in the forums cos it's likely that the people reading this thread do have the Explorist LOL!

I have recetly bought myself the Explorist GC and while I found the feature to enter Waypoints, I am wondering if it is possible to link them to a specific cache?

Living in a city there are lots of Mystery or multiple caches, where you first have to do some homework. It would be nice to add the solution then directly to the cache so that ist available when I find the time to collect the cache and is linked to all the other infos about the cache.

I have recetly bought myself the Explorist GC and while I found the feature to enter Waypoints, I am wondering if it is possible to link them to a specific cache?

I haven't figured out a way to do this yet. I just name the new waypoint the same as the cache name (or close to it) so that it's easy to find. The waypoints for a cache are always going to be within 2 miles of the actual cache so it's easy enough to locate them if you have it set to find "nearest."

Sally

I'm being incredibly thick (I've admitted it, so you don't need to agree!) but I've tried adding waypoints and it doesn't seem to work properly for me.

The explorist gives you two options for co-ordinates (relevant to us) - DEG.DDDDD and DEG/MIN.MMM. I want to add the co-ordinates N 51.809 E 34.480 but on the first option when I add 51809 and 34408 the location doesn't match up to the cache (i.e. miles out), and on the second option it only allows me one digit for the MIN value.

Please help this poor idiot figure it out!

I am still having trouble entering coordinates into my 310. When I follow the directions listed in this thread I get to the 'create New Waypoint From' screen and select coordinates. It then shows me coordinates from whatever waypoint my the GPS was selected and I don't see how to change that. Admittedly I am challenged when it comes to the GPS so have patience.

I am still having trouble entering coordinates into my 310. When I follow the directions listed in this thread I get to the 'create New Waypoint From' screen and select coordinates. It then shows me coordinates from whatever waypoint my the GPS was selected and I don't see how to change that. Admittedly I am challenged when it comes to the GPS so have patience.

The directions here are for the Explorist GC. Perhaps you should start a new thread and see if someone with a 310 can help you. Having said that, once I get to that stage with the GC, I then use the toggle button and change the coords it shows on the screen, then right click once I have them correct to save them. But the 310 is probably different, I don't know.

The directions here are for the Explorist GC. Perhaps you should start a new thread and see if someone with a 310 can help you. Having said that, once I get to that stage with the GC, I then use the toggle button and change the coords it shows on the screen, then right click once I have them correct to save them. But the 310 is probably different, I don't know.

This worked!! Thank you so much! I wish the manual was better and had more detail. As a person who has never used a GPS it has been a challenge figuring out how it works

I'm hoping someone can help me with the problem I've been having with co-ordinates on the Explorist GC. For multi-caches and puzzles, I've entered the co-ordinates as a waypoint, checked them twice, three times, save them, go to the info page to change the name of the waypoint - check the co-ordinates again, and then I find that the co-ordinates have changed - the last digit for N and W have changed by 1 - e.g. I enter N004 35.568, and the GPSr changes it to N004 35.569 - it does it for the Westings too. I always have my phone with me when caching, so can use that, but would like to get the problem sorted on the GPSr.

Thanks in anticipation!

I'm hoping someone can help me with the problem I've been having with co-ordinates on the Explorist GC. For multi-caches and puzzles, I've entered the co-ordinates as a waypoint, checked them twice, three times, save them, go to the info page to change the name of the waypoint - check the co-ordinates again, and then I find that the co-ordinates have changed - the last digit for N and W have changed by 1 - e.g. I enter N004 35.568, and the GPSr changes it to N004 35.569 - it does it for the Westings too. I always have my phone with me when caching, so can use that, but would like to get the problem sorted on the GPSr.

Thanks in anticipation!

For the latitude that you provided (N 04° xx.xxx) that 3rd decimal equates to 8 ft, <1 m.

For your latitude (N 51° xx.xxx), that third decimal equates to 7 ft.

-Latitude makes a difference, further north would make for less distance differential, yet-

Off-hand, I don't think you should worry about it.

----------------

This question has been posed before and I do not believe that a true solution was ever presented.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks in anticipation!

For the latitude that you provided (N 04° xx.xxx) that 3rd decimal equates to 8 ft, <1 m.

For your latitude (N 51° xx.xxx), that third decimal equates to 7 ft.

-Latitude makes a difference, further north would make for less distance differential, yet-

Off-hand, I don't think you should worry about it.

----------------

This question has been posed before and I do not believe that a true solution was ever presented.

Thanks for this - it is a little annoying glitch when doing a multi or challenge cache. I was recently doing a church micro multi, and the waypoint directed me towards some steps, but they were steps up into a house - I thought it couldn't possibly be there - could it? I abandoned that search for the time being. Yesterday, we were searching - clue said under concrete slab, thing was - we were at an old airfield, with lots of concrete slabs all over the place! It is more annoying that when I go to edit the co-ordinates that have been changed, put them correct, that they revert back to being wrong again. Shame that there is this little glitch, but then again, makes me use my eyes more!

Dear All,

Please following this settings:

Tools -> Settings -> Navigation

Coordinata System: Lat/Lon

Coordinata Typa: Degree

(If need, Map Datum: WGS84)

After this settings you can add the 47.79193N type coordinates under the "Create New Waypoint From..." menu.

I hope that was helpful.

:)

Dear All,

Please following this settings:

Tools -> Settings -> Navigation

Coordinata System: Lat/Lon

Coordinata Typa: Degree

(If need, Map Datum: WGS84)

After this settings you can add the 47.79193N type coordinates under the "Create New Waypoint From..." menu.

I hope that was helpful.

:)

Genius - I was totally unable to do this till I read your post - I didn't even know what the problem was!!! Thanks - I could not enter the coordinates into the boxes that were there under "New Zealand" where I live. No wonder it was in the wrong format.