Logging in.

When you sign the log in the cache do you sign, date, and move on or do you take a minute or two to write about your experience? Why do you do it the way you do? Do you read the logs of those who have been there before you? If you own caches do you read the paper logs?
I have written more than just the date and signature a few times, for caches that had notebooks for the log and were in a spot where it was comfortable to sit and rest and write. But generally I save that for my online log, where the cache owner and others can read without being physically at the cache.

We do any of the above depending on our mood and/or how many caches we want to find that day. Sadly, it seems that most of our recent logs have just been date and alias in the log book, but we do try to describe more of our experience online. Problem is, if it's a light skirt cache or similar, there's not really much of an experience to describe, so even online it might not be much more than a simple 'TFTC'.

Unfortunatly most of the logs I have found have been in micros and only have room for my name and date (and some don't even have that much room) but in a full sized log, I would definetly write something a little more...er...long-winded. Sometimes you just can't shut me up...T.

Fortunately, we don't have any micros out there -- nor are there very many around here. :rolleyes::lol:;):D

So yes, we usually see some decent long logs in the logbooks. OTOH, it appears more recently that many people seem to be in a hurry - short on writing skills - lazy - CNP fanatical (take your pick of those), but that's OK, too. Those that appreciate the experience will log appropriately. Those that don't, won't. :rolleyes:

Talking about online logs... occasionally an interesting story in the logbook too, sometimes from muggles!

Do those of you who own caches read the paper logs?
Are you some kind of sock puppet, or something?! Of course I don't read the paper logs. They're always a pulpy soggy, moldy mess by the time I get to them!

:rolleyes: Sounds like you need to use better containers. I always read the paper logs when I make a maintenance run or retrieve an archived cache. I even read the log books of those caches I find.

When you sign the log in the cache do you sign, date, and move on or do you take a minute or two to write about your experience? Why do you do it the way you do? Do you read the logs of those who have been there before you? If you own caches do you read the paper logs?

If the logbook is a larger notebook at the end of an interesting trail or caching experience then I definitely write a little more than just my name and the date. If the logbook is small, then I do just put name and date and move on.

I love to see who has found caches before me, because I like to see if they're anyone I know. The local caching community here is kind of like a big family and a lot of us know / hang out with each other.

Are you some kind of sock puppet, or something?! Of course I don't read the paper logs. They're always a pulpy soggy, moldy mess by the time I get to them!

Don't you mean after you get through with them? And now that you poked your eye out, neither of us can read the logs anymore. Gotta find a third caching partner now.

If you own caches do you read the paper logs?

Yes. Everyone of them. I have all of my old filled logbooks in a couple of shoeboxes. I usually read the whole logbook right after replacing them with a new log. I read a few of the logs when doing maintenance visits.

:) Sounds like you need to use better containers. I always read the paper logs when I make a maintenance run or retrieve an archived cache. I even read the log books of those caches I find.

What would possibly make a better container than a film cannister? :D

Don't you mean after you get through with them? And now that you poked your eye out, neither of us can read the logs anymore. Gotta find a third caching partner now.

We can't go caching together right now. Not until I change my avatar back. Everyone would be freaking out about the double rainbow.

I have written more than just the date and signature a few times, for caches that had notebooks for the log and were in a spot where it was comfortable to sit and rest and write. But generally I save that for my online log, where the cache owner and others can read without being physically at the cache.

This is prett much it for me too. I'll drop a sentence or two if there's room, but for more than that it's got to be a pretty special cache. I like to think my online logs are decent though. All the logs in my caches I've read so far are just signatures, some by muggles.

- the average cache isn't worth the time.

- glance over the logs sometimes but not normally.

- when we refresh a paper log book, we will look through it briefly. Then toss it.

My longest logs are usually in those little nano's. :)

It definitely seems that the practice of taking the time to write a nice entry in the logbook has changed over time; I love going after the older caches, and every now and then you'll find a 2001-era (or so) cache with the original logbook. I really enjoy reading all the old logs, usually very entertaining. However, to put it in context, the person leaving the log had probably driven a great distance and made a significant time commitment to come find just that cache - there weren't many in those days, so each cache was a destination. Hence the willingness to linger at the cache site and reflect on the trip.

Now, with the proliferation of caches, it just doesn't make sense to try and write a bunch in the logbook and then do more than "TFTC" online. So I agree, I'll just sign the physical log and save my write-up for the website -

I used to write stuff in logbooks, but I found myself trying to think of something unique to say in both the physical logbook and in the online one. I started feeling weird about it, so I don't usually write more than my name and date in the physical one anymore. Maybe a smilie face.

I do love to look through logbooks when I find a cache, and I keep all of the logbooks from my caches when I trade them out. There's something special about looking at everyone's logs, even if they're only a signature. It's more personal than typed letters on the internet. :blink: Besides, you get some character from it: different color pens, different types of signatures, stamps, stickers, etc.

I prefer to write a bit more than just my name and date in the physical logbook. I know that I, along with many of my peers, enjoy taking a few moments at ground zero to read through the logbook, to experience, vicariously, what others were thinking/feeling when they found a cache, and we reciprocate in kind, for those who follow. My written logs are still much shorter than my online logs, however, which often exceed the 4K character count.

Sometimes I sign with a Date sometimes not, if I am going for FTFs and there are more then just one I just put my signature down sometimes date and I'm off to the next one, every minute I'm at that cache is another lost minute where another cacher could grab the next one. Just all depends.

Scubasonic

I prefer to write a bit more than just my name and date in the physical logbook. I know that I, along with many of my peers, enjoy taking a few moments at ground zero to read through the logbook, to experience, vicariously, what others were thinking/feeling when they found a cache, and we reciprocate in kind, for those who follow. My written logs are still much shorter than my online logs, however, which often exceed the 4K character count.

Well then U are my hero on those LPCs I'd like to see that.

Scubasonic