When do you retire Bug to cemetery?

Aramel and Cavel

Just curious. We were just notified that our TB was missing in a cache. Read that the cache had been raided. How do we delete the TB on the cache page so others won't be looking for it? AND how soon do we just give it up and retire it to the Bug cemetery? Still hoping someone took it..will relocated it elsewhere and log it in....

Aramel and Cavel

Grab it and keep it in your inventory for a while. One of my bugs went missing from a cache, after about two months I grabbed it and posted a note to its page that it was stolen. About three weeks later, someone found it in another cache, it is now back in circulation. If it doesn't show up in a few months you may want to use the copy tag to keep it going.

My guideline for waiting is 6 months of no activity (in a cacher's hands) before I consider reactivating with a second tag.

Case in point: Geoffrey went missing last June. Someone found an identical toy without a tag in a nearby cache. I sent out a replacement tag thinking the original character just lost its tag. The doppleganger completed his mission in January, but then the original one showed up in Finland a full 6 months after having been lost.

If they had both been circulating or the one hadn't completed its mission before the original one was found, things would have gotten really messed up.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching