100k vs 24k

I have both for the Colorado. The 24k is nice, but in my area it doesn't have any of the trails and fireroads that are on the 100k topo. So I use the 100k more unless I am totally off trail. I would check out the free 24k topo maps on gpsfiledepot if there are any for your area.

Edited by mulvaney

I have both for the Colorado. The 24k is nice, but in my area it doesn't have any of the trails and fireroads that are on the 100k topo. So I use the 100k more unless I am totally off trail. I would check out the free 24k topo maps on gpsfiledepot if there are any for your area.

I have the same problem in my area. Trails that are in the 100k mapset are not in the 24k mapset. The weird thing is that the 24k set shows the trail symbol and the trail name, but the trail itself is not there.

Nevertheless I prefer the 24k for its routing capabilities, which allow me to use it for street navgation (and trail navigation if they are there -- like in National Parks).

Wondering which is better for the Garmin Oregon 550 and better in general US Topo 100k or US Topo 24k?

Do they both have 3D info required for the Oregon? Which is the more accurate map?

I've wanted to buy the 24k maps for quite some time because they provide autorouting. What stops me is that you only get a couple of states for about $90.00. So, I'll make do with my Topo 2008 and City Navigator 2010. Plus, I've gotten a hold of 24k topo maps from GPSFiledepot.com for the state of California for free.

I have the same problem in my area. Trails that are in the 100k mapset are not in the 24k mapset. The weird thing is that the 24k set shows the trail symbol and the trail name, but the trail itself is not there.

Nevertheless I prefer the 24k for its routing capabilities, which allow me to use it for street navgation (and trail navigation if they are there -- like in National Parks).

I can't believe that the 24k maps from Garmin DO NO HAVE some of the trails that are on the 100k maps. Seems like a rip-off to me now.

I know what you mean about wanting to be able to use street navigation. That is the weakness of some of the great free maps at GPSfiledepot. The best solution IMHO is City Navigator and transparent overlays. The only problem is dealing with large lakes or rivers covering roads-which is a pain to get to work right. So all the maps I make are designed to be an overlay over City Navigator.