Is $16.50 a good Price For a 30cal Ammo Can?

Is $16.50 a good Price For a 30cal Ammo Can? Or should I spend $3.50 more and get and 50cal?

(Canadian Dollars... which actually is basically on par with the american dollar)

OK, it looks as though Castle Mischief is the low price leader.

So it is obvious that you ought to be getting them from his source.

Is $16.50 a good Price For a 30cal Ammo Can? Or should I spend $3.50 more and get and 50cal?

(Canadian Dollars... which actually is basically on par with the american dollar)

OK, it looks as though Castle Mischief is the low price leader.

So it is obvious that you ought to be getting them from his source.

However... the $5 .50 cal cans were from a pallet or two at a store that I haven't them at since. Ditto on the $3 cans- but at a different store.

I would expect to find the $6 .30 cans at the surplus store in town again, but I haven't looked.

EDIT: It's a long drive from Alabama to Canada. Doubt you'd save any money after shipping and handling.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Ok... for all of you wondering if Canada has an army:

In 1945 Canada launched a raid on Juno Beach to help win WWII

without the Canadian army no-one would have won the war (except for the Germans). And something like 150 Canadian soldier have died in Afghanistan! Canada's army does not reflect the size of the nation but it reflects the POPULATION of the nation. Canada is not highly populated, and population is what you need for an army.

US has big population = big army

Canada has small population = small army

Now that thats clear... how about getting on topic? :rolleyes:

Edited by Mountain Monster
In 1965 Canada launched a raid on Juno Beach to help win WWII

Erm, unless this is some movie reference I didn't get (like the one about Germany bombing Pearl Harbor), all you managed to do is to poke more fun at Canada by having your dates off by 20 years.

According to Wikipedia, Canada is #34 by population, but #13 by military spending. Pretty impressive, actually. According to 4wheeling_fool's way of viewing the world, North Korea is the #1 military superpower in the world.

And back on topic, I know there are ammo cans from various countries. I guess the Canadian military does not get rid of theirs in surplus sales?

I would think if you had the sense "god" gave you, that you would walk away from this thread.

And why is that?

Canada is the second largest country in area on the planet. However, the military is ranked 74th..

It appears that the military is very tiny in proportion to the country's size.

You can get get upset with me all you want about it, but I don't have anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

if you cared to educate your ignorance through more meaningful ways, not by watching South Park, which surprise surprise is made in America, you would know that Canada is a peaceful country and as such we are gearing more towards peacekeeping rather than conflicts

do you have any idea why Netherlands continues to send 20,000 bulbs to Canada each year (10,000 from the Royal Family and 10,000 from the Dutch Bulb Growers Association) ?

but you can start by reading this Military History of Canada

without the Canadian army no-one would have won the war (except for the Germans). And something like 150 Canadian soldier have died in Afghanistan! Canada's army does not reflect the size of the nation but it reflects the POPULATION of the nation. Canada is not highly populated, and population is what you need for an army.

US has big population = big army

Canada has small population = small army

Now that thats clear... how about getting on topic? :lol:

Just HAD to do it, didn't you? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They most likely cost more in Canada because they are American ammo cans. Does the Canadian military have their own ammo cans? Does Canada actually have a military? :lol:

Why would you ask such an insulting thing?

And it shows your ignorance of world history.

I had little respect for you before and even less now.

Relax, the comment was from watching too much South Park. ;)

No, I will not relax. You made a foolish comment and to justify it by saying it was from watching too much south park is not an excuse for your comment. Next you will be saying it was OK because you used a smiley.

Dunno bout you but I don't ridicule countries based on a cartoon.

I have friends and family that have died along side of American soldiers in battle.

You certainly stand up to your name.

I actually thought it was funny and I love visiting our neighbors to the north. Not sure if I should :rolleyes: or :rolleyes:

without the Canadian army no-one would have won the war (except for the Germans).

While I appreciate the Canadian efforts around the world, I HIGHLY doubt your statement is even close to being true.

And something like 150 Canadian soldier have died in Afghanistan!

That had to be all of them, right?

Ok ok, I am just having fun at your expense.

without the Canadian army no-one would have won the war (except for the Germans).

While I appreciate the Canadian efforts around the world, I HIGHLY doubt your statement is even close to being true.

Perhaps more enjoyment can be achieved by mocking the canadians who died or were wounded while storming Juno Beach, on D-Day.

Can we drop this already?

Since this thread is hopelessly derailed I will add that anyone who doubts the willingness, dedication, capability and honor of the Canadian Forces is sadly misinformed.

Further, anyone who mocks military service and sacrifice of any nature is going to get on the bad side of vets world-wide in one quick hurry.

Let's get this thread back where it started.

To my fellow Canadians:

I don't mean to fan the flames (seriously!), however as a fiercely proud Canadian who has been living in the States for a couple years now, its not uncommon for Americans to make fun of us. However it is (almost) aways either an ironic statement about American problems that we don't have (look for those, they are the best ones!), or its just friendly chiding along the same lines as an older brother giving a younger one a hard time. Its almost always done in a friendly spirit, although sometimes it may not seem like it at first. The few times its not friendly is normally done by ignorant folks who are not worth arguing with in the first place, and those are best ignored. I highly suspect its the friendly sort of comments that is happening in this thread.

I have found that the best way to deal with it is to play along, or just ignore it. My favourite response to Americans commenting on the small size of our armed forces is to say either "yeah. I've seen both our tanks, the large one AND the small one", or "yeah, thats because we have moose. Don't get a moose angry, they will mess you up" (My sense of humour lacks humour some times). Self deprecating humour is what we're known for, stereotypically at least.

Anyway. Its all in fun here, so I for one take the Canadian comments with a grain of salt and in the humour and jest it was most likely intended.

I don't think anyone who knows history doubts Canadian commitments and sacrifices in war, and if they do then they live up to the "ignorant american" stereotype, and thats worth a snicker in and of itself :rolleyes: (for some reason I find those folks who live up to their respective stereotypes to be hilarious - not in a mean sense, but in more of a "hey look, its true! Thats awesome" sense).

If you still chose to take offence, then just be sure to wear your poppy with pride in November, and hold your head up high. No matter what any one else says about us, we're Canadians and that is something to be proud of.

Anyhoo. To the Americans: No offence on the "ignorant american" thing, k? It is all in good fun.

To my fellow Canadians:

I don't mean to fan the flames (seriously!), however as a fiercely proud Canadian who has been living in the States for a couple years now, its not uncommon for Americans to make fun of us. However it is (almost) aways either an ironic statement about American problems that we don't have (look for those, they are the best ones!), or its just friendly chiding along the same lines as an older brother giving a younger one a hard time. Its almost always done in a friendly spirit, although sometimes it may not seem like it at first. The few times its not friendly is normally done by ignorant folks who are not worth arguing with in the first place, and those are best ignored. I highly suspect its the friendly sort of comments that is happening in this thread.

I have found that the best way to deal with it is to play along, or just ignore it. My favourite response to Americans commenting on the small size of our armed forces is to say either "yeah. I've seen both our tanks, the large one AND the small one", or "yeah, thats because we have moose. Don't get a moose angry, they will mess you up" (My sense of humour lacks humour some times). Self deprecating humour is what we're known for, stereotypically at least.

Anyway. Its all in fun here, so I for one take the Canadian comments with a grain of salt and in the humour and jest it was most likely intended.

I don't think anyone who knows history doubts Canadian commitments and sacrifices in war, and if they do then they live up to the "ignorant american" stereotype, and thats worth a snicker in and of itself :lol: (for some reason I find those folks who live up to their respective stereotypes to be hilarious - not in a mean sense, but in more of a "hey look, its true! Thats awesome" sense).

If you still chose to take offence, then just be sure to wear your poppy with pride in November, and hold your head up high. No matter what any one else says about us, we're Canadians and that is something to be proud of.

Anyhoo. To the Americans: No offence on the "ignorant american" thing, k? It is all in good fun.

I was chiding on my part. I honestly don't know jack about the canuck military. Oh, and BTW, I am a 10 year veteran during Gulf War version 1.0 and I wasn't offended by my funning. :rolleyes: And I wasn't offended by the ignorant American comment. I was, however, offended when you didn't capitalize American. :rolleyes:

Of all the places for a U.S. / Canada war to start, the Groundspeak forums would have been somewhere near the very bottom of my list. Guess I better go stock up on ammo cans...

And when it was over, everyone went to Tim Hortons for Apple Fritters and Coffee. Eh!

Edited by DragonsWest

You can say what you want about thier Canadian Military, but that wont stop them from taking you out from a 1 1/2 miles away:

"Rob Furlong (born 1976), a former corporal of the Canadian Forces, held the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at 2,430 metres (2,657 yd, 12.08 furlongs, or 1.51 miles).[1] This shot exceeded the previous record of Arron Perry set in 2001 just before Furlong's record by 120 m or 130 yd."

His record was surpassed by a British soldier recently.

Most of the Flea Markets around here have at least one booth with army surplus. You can get them for around $7 there.

On a side note, a guy I work with was supposed to go to Canada for work and said he couldn't go because he could not get a passport for Canada because of a prior DUI. It that true, you can't get into Canada if you've had a DUI? I'm thinking he just didn't want to go there in the winter time, I imagine the winters are rough there.

Most of the Flea Markets around here have at least one booth with army surplus. You can get them for around $7 there.

On a side note, a guy I work with was supposed to go to Canada for work and said he couldn't go because he could not get a passport for Canada because of a prior DUI. It that true, you can't get into Canada if you've had a DUI? I'm thinking he just didn't want to go there in the winter time, I imagine the winters are rough there.

entering Canada does not require a special passport, doesn't even require a visa to visit for persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence, unlike us Canadians that need a valid passport to enter USA :unsure:

no, a DUI charge won't prevent you from being allowed to enter Canada, nobody is asking at the border if you had any convictions

he would have required a work permit, which is a different kind of animal

depending on the employment arrangements the DUI might have had an effect on the outcome

my guess is that his potential employer may have held that against him or his conviction was not for DUI, and perhaps something more serious

no, a DUI charge won't prevent you from being allowed to enter Canada, nobody is asking at the border if you had any convictions

I thought so too. But while checking passport requirements for Canada (I recall it was changed recently) I saw this site : http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/enter_canada.asp

"Anyone with a criminal record (including a drunk driving conviction) may be excluded from Canada. A waiver of exclusion may be issued but several weeks are required and a processing fee must be paid."

I thought so too. But while checking passport requirements for Canada (I recall it was changed recently) I saw this site : http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/enter_canada.asp

"Anyone with a criminal record (including a drunk driving conviction) may be excluded from Canada. A waiver of exclusion may be issued but several weeks are required and a processing fee must be paid."

that only applies to temporary residents and applicants applying for permanent residence

I thought drinking and driving were Canada's #2 pass time, right after watching people get their teeth knocked out on the ice chasing a small plastic disk.

I thought drinking and driving were Canada's #2 pass time, right after watching people get their teeth knocked out on the ice chasing a small plastic disk.

We only drive when we need to go pick up more beer, unless the game is on then we will just have to do without.

that only applies to temporary residents and applicants applying for permanent residence

Um yea, you are simply not correct. Canada will not allow entrance to people who have been convicted of crimes in the USA that are considered felonies in Canada. There is a process to gain admission but it can be lengthy and expensive.

My most recent trip to Canada was the first time I needed a passport in either direction. Both required it.

OT: $16.50 is a pretty high price for a 30cal ammo can. Last time I bought a dozen as part of a group purchase I paid $3 each. I think the going rate thee days is still less than $10 in these parts. Email me for a source if you care to.

Edited by WRASTRO

I think I got all the info I need :o

this is now a Canada vs America debate topic

Not unless you want to get it locked by a mod. Become a premium member, and this fun can go on in the off topic forums -_-

Oh well in that case... um *cough* *cough* let's get back on topic :unsure:

Um yea, you are simply not correct. Canada will not allow entrance to people who have been convicted of crimes in the USA that are considered felonies in Canada. There is a process to gain admission but it can be lengthy and expensive.

My most recent trip to Canada was the first time I needed a passport in either direction. Both required it.

maybe that is just Canada's way to give "preferential" treatment to US citizens :unsure:

not one single person that came to visit from Europe had such issues

Perhaps it is related to the fact that Canadian 30cal boxes are extremely rare birds... I have a couple for non caching purposes... Acknowledging the fact that the common ammo here is 7.62mm Nato for many years and that in ammo terms is 30cal size... the fact is that Canadian 30 cal hasn't been around for even longer... lots of US 30 and 50 cal... This might be a factor... if the labels mean anything to you.

Another factor here or in the US... quality... If the box is rusted, missing or loose seals, damaged latches and so on, it is going to be worth less for sure... These 16.50 ones might just be about new...

Come to think, anyone seen the Soviet bloc equivalents, or any other country? Ammo boxes.. that is.

7.62 Russian is a bit smaller, but the boxes should still be rugged and waterproof, lots of that ammo used to come thru to feed AK's, but I guess the limits on 'black' assault weapons dried that up some. No guns, no ammo, no boxes...

Doug 7rxc

Perhaps it is related to the fact that Canadian 30cal boxes are extremely rare birds... I have a couple for non caching purposes... Acknowledging the fact that the common ammo here is 7.62mm Nato for many years and that in ammo terms is 30cal size... the fact is that Canadian 30 cal hasn't been around for even longer... lots of US 30 and 50 cal... This might be a factor... if the labels mean anything to you.

Another factor here or in the US... quality... If the box is rusted, missing or loose seals, damaged latches and so on, it is going to be worth less for sure... These 16.50 ones might just be about new...

Come to think, anyone seen the Soviet bloc equivalents, or any other country? Ammo boxes.. that is.

7.62 Russian is a bit smaller, but the boxes should still be rugged and waterproof, lots of that ammo used to come thru to feed AK's, but I guess the limits on 'black' assault weapons dried that up some. No guns, no ammo, no boxes...

Doug 7rxc

The boxes are not rare... the army surplus store (in Coombs BC if you are wondering) had a lot of them and had just as many 50cal (these were out of my price range... I don't remember the price but I remember thinking 'whoa! that much for an ammo can?!?!)

Your right on one thing... they were not rusted and seems like a great quality metal box

Doug 7rxc

Most of the Eastern bloc 7.62 (either x39 or x54R) that I've acquired has come in a "spam can" rather than the reuseable ammo cans the Western bloc ammo uses. Literally have to rip the can open with a weird little opener tool. About 440 rounds or so to a can, 880 per wooden crate. That stuff is corrosive when shot, too...

Around these parts, 7.62 cans are usually $5-6, .50 cal are 8-10. Gun shows are a great place to find them. Lately, been buying some bulk pistol/rifle ammo from Cabelas, and they throw in a plastic dry box (very nice, roomy) for free, so there's about 6-8 of those laying in the garage right now beside their metal counterparts.

Perhaps it is related to the fact that Canadian 30cal boxes are extremely rare birds...

The boxes are not rare... the army surplus store (in Coombs BC if you are wondering) had a lot of them and had just as many 50cal (these were out of my price range... I don't remember the price but I remember thinking 'whoa! that much for an ammo can?!?!)

Your right on one thing... they were not rusted and seems like a great quality metal box

You are SURE they are Canadian manufactured, marked as 30 cal... etc. Not US issue.

I have seen quite a few US ones... in several models. Not many from C.A. (the maker).

Not much problem with 7.62... I believe there are still 50 cal out there since that is still used.

Doesn't really matter to most people, but I used to run into collectors who were really picky... almost as bad as cachers... :unsure:

As for the E bloc stuf... I know about the 'spam cans', but I thought there were similar designs for link belt ammo... or else they did a lot of relinking on their own time...

Doug 7rxc