TwoNav Sportiva and Adventura

As they are relatively new on the scene, how many here are using either the TwoNav Sportiva and Adventura? I have the Sportiva and so far (with the new 2.2rc1 beta) I've found it great for my activities.

I though, seeing there is not much mentioned on them here that if a few of us post comments on them it may generate some interest in them and we may get them included as devices for our profile and (hopefully) included in the small list of devices that support true paperless geocaching.

Hi, I use the Twonav Sportiva for Geocaching.

It's a great unit, I also own and use a Garmin Oregon 300.

I much prefer using the Sportiva for Geocaching and bushwalks.

There have been in the past week, updates for the Twonav's which includes it's own Geocaching Menu. In my opinion a lot easier to use and more accurate than the Oregon's.

I will post some screenshots shortly.

Edited by phillipsart

If you look up, ........ right about here ^ in the reply box is a little green icon

that looks like a computer monitor, try that.

Norm

Sorry Geocachers, I don't know how to upload images here, Just spent half hour trying to upload my images with no success.

I've tried that, But I couldn't get any of my photos to show up, Kept getting all these error messages. After half hour of trying I got to frustrated and left it.

If anyone wants to post them for me, Let me know and I will email you the images.

Edited by phillipsart

I've tried that, But I couldn't get any of my photos to show up, Kept getting all these error messages. After half hour of trying I got to frustrated and left it.

If anyone wants to post them for me, Let me know and I will email you the images.

picture013ny.jpg

Lets see if that works...

picture013ny.jpg

Lets see if that works...

Thanks Natvander.

Here's somemore info. All you need to know about Geocaching is all in this link.

http://geocaching.twonav.com/

Seriously though, All you geocachers out there, should seriously consider the Twonav Sportiva or the Twonav Aventura if you want a larger screen.

The Sportiva you see above is my own, it has a screen similar in size to the Oregon's. The screen's are a lot more brighter on the Twonav's than they are on the Oregon's.

Take a look at this link: http://geocaching.twonav.com/

Since owning the Sportiva, I have not used my Oregon for Geocaching. The Sportiva is just far more superior than the Oregon's, and offer's a lot more.

Why does Geocaching.com not support the Twonav's, now that the Twonav's have built in Geocaching menu, I would have thought that geocaching.com, would have at least added a option in the GPS owned to select this unit, both myself and many other Twonav owners have sent out requests for the Twonavs to be added to geocaching.com for the past month on numerous occasions and thus far no response from geocaching.com.

Why are you not supporting these fine units?

Edited by phillipsart

Question to the owners of a sportiva: Can I replace the accu pack with normal batteries when I'm out in the field and the accu ran out of power?

Nevermind, the answer is NO. After some searching I found a more detailed review of the device (In German) that shows pictures the opened back of the Sportiva.

You'll need additional accu packs or solar rechargers or the like for longer trips.

Why does Geocaching.com not support the Twonav's, now that the Twonav's have built in Geocaching menu, I would have thought that geocaching.com, would have at least added a option in the GPS owned to select this unit, both myself and many other Twonav owners have sent out requests for the Twonavs to be added to geocaching.com for the past month on numerous occasions and thus far no response from geocaching.com.

Why are you not supporting these fine units?

I live in Canada, and this may be the first time I've ever even heard of "Twonav". What countries sell them? Are there maps for Canada if I imported one? Can they do car autorouting as well? Do they have magnetic compasses? Sorry if those answers are covered in the links, I didn't have a chance to read them yet :rolleyes:

You can use any papermaps you have on the Twonav's as well as digital maps, in the .ecw or .rmap formats. Oziexplorer maps can be converted over to .ecw map using Globalmapper.

The Sportiva uses a Nokia Mobile Phone battery which are very common. Battery life is very good on the Sportiva. The larger screen Twonav Aventura can be used with standard AA's with the aftermarket battery adapter.

It will also permit you to install and use map formats, from topographic maps, satellite pictures, raster maps and urban maps (Onroad navigation by beeps on the Sportiva, the Aventura has voice navigation) to paper scanned maps, *.map, *.jpg, *.gif, *.tif, *.RMAP, *.ECW, etc. Just convert them using CompeGPS land free basic version and transfer them to your GPS. USB 2.0 connection to your PC for quick map transfers.

The Sportiva has a Electronic 3D Compass. The Aventura a Electronic Compass.

Both the Sportiva and Aventura can be connected to a cigarette lighter in your vehicle. Not only does the cigarette lighter plug powers the unit it also charges.

Vector maps can be used on both the Sportiva and Aventura. The Aventura is suppled with Routable Vector Maps for your area if available. The Sportiva are not supplied with Vector Maps, but you can purchase them for your area. I don't know if Canada or the USA are covered for the Vector maps on the Twonav's.

The Geocaching feature on the Twonav's in my opinion is 2nd to none. It has the best Geocaching features included than any other GPS units, including my Garmin Oregon 300. I don't use my Garmin anymore for Geocaching.

Edited by phillipsart

We been trying to get Geocaching.com to add the twonav's to there list of GPS units compatible for Geocaching, so far all requests have been ignored.

I don't work for or have anything to do with the suppliers or makers of the Twonav Units, I am simply just another Geocacher from Australia. I think you Geocachers should seriously consider these Twonav's for Geocaching. The software developers have done a great job on the Geocaching feature of the Twonav's.

I'll try to upload some photos.

Edited by phillipsart

This would be kind of a deal killer for me.

I don't understand what you mean?

That's a old beta version that don't exist anymore, if your talking about this:

In CompeGPS we are continuously working to improve our products and are grateful for the contribution of our users to test new functions and find errors that we missed.. This is mentioned for a old beta version 6.2

Garmin do this all the time. Look at all the Beta version they throw out to us. it's your decision if you want to use Beta versions or not, I don't use any Beta version on my Sportiva. Nearly all companies do this with there products. It's your choose if you want to participate in the Beta Program or not.

The latest stable release of CompeGPS Land is 7.03, you talking about a beta version 6.2

Edited by phillipsart

Fixed the link, here's the text:

Is Sportiva compatible with Mac computers?

We can not assure that Sportiva will have a correct communication with Mac computers. BSP of Samsung 2416, 2443 CPU included in Sportiva doesn’t have full support of Mac connection. Mac can detect Sportiva, but unmounting device is sometimes finding problems so it has to be unplugged even not correctly unmounted. This can cause problems to connect device to Mac again or even losing data.

CompeGPS Team recommends to not plug Sportiva to Mac computers. Some Mac users work successfully with Sportiva but, since other users faced problems with this connection, we must say that Sportiva can not be considered compatible with Mac systems. Considering user experiences, it seems connection with Snow Leopard OS is generally working better than Leopard OS.

Fixed the link, here's the text:

Is Sportiva compatible with Mac computers?

We can not assure that Sportiva will have a correct communication with Mac computers. BSP of Samsung 2416, 2443 CPU included in Sportiva doesn’t have full support of Mac connection. Mac can detect Sportiva, but unmounting device is sometimes finding problems so it has to be unplugged even not correctly unmounted. This can cause problems to connect device to Mac again or even losing data.

CompeGPS Team recommends to not plug Sportiva to Mac computers. Some Mac users work successfully with Sportiva but, since other users faced problems with this connection, we must say that Sportiva can not be considered compatible with Mac systems. Considering user experiences, it seems connection with Snow Leopard OS is generally working better than Leopard OS.

Yes, this is true, Guess who was one of the first that reported this to them? Me..

I'm a Mac user myself, There's a simple solution, Use Bootcamp. Works with no problems with Windows XP in Bootcamp on the Mac.

Yes, this is true, Guess who was one of the first that reported this to them? Me..

I'm a Mac user myself, There's a simple solution, Use Bootcamp. Works with no problems with Windows XP in Bootcamp on the Mac.

It's not a simple solution, it's a kluge; using VMs, and BootCamp.

Their devices are expensive, purchasing XP is a cost over and above, and dealing w/all

of the compatibility issues of Windows and the attendant software SNAFUs make

that option less appealing.

When I went on a search of their USA mapping data it sends you to some mini airplane/

hang gliding website that you have to join just to navigate the site, still got a lot of

wrinkles to iron out, but I'll still keep an eye on them.

The Adventura(?) is like $750.00 w/out NA maps, too rich for an experiment to me.

Norm

It's not a simple solution, it's a kluge; using VMs, and BootCamp.

Their devices are expensive, purchasing XP is a cost over and above, and dealing w/all

of the compatibility issues of Windows and the attendant software SNAFUs make

that option less appealing.

When I went on a search of their USA mapping data it sends you to some mini airplane/

hang gliding website that you have to join just to navigate the site, still got a lot of

wrinkles to iron out, but I'll still keep an eye on them.

The Adventura(?) is like $750.00 w/out NA maps, too rich for an experiment to me.

Norm

I was lucky I already had a copy spare of Windows XP, back from my PC days. But I agree with you, it would be an extra cost added. In saying this a new software update 2.2.1 has been released for the sportiva to address this problem on the Mac's. I have not tried it out. I'm not game to, but according to Compegps website, it address's the problem with connection to a Mac.