How Would You Handle This?

Today I logged a DNF for GC1QKKD. This area of the park is fenced off and not open to the public due to construction that started in June. The wetlands reconstruction project will not be completed until September 2011. I thought about sending the CO an email, but their last visit online was August 7, 2009. Any thoughts?

Today I logged a DNF for GC1QKKD. This area of the park is fenced off and not open to the public due to construction that started in June. The wetlands reconstruction project will not be completed until September 2011. I thought about sending the CO an email, but their last visit online was August 7, 2009. Any thoughts?

I would send the CO a note regardless of their last login. It's almost all you can do.

Any thoughts?

Step 1: Follow DragonsWest's advice. Send the owner an e-mail.

Step 2: Wait an appropriate amount of time for a response.

Step 3: Take pictures of the site and send a note to your local reviewer.

Step 4: If the reviewer archives the listing, wait an appropriate amount of time, then check to see if the owner left the cache behind.

What, you skeered to cut holes in fences? :)

Just kidding - File a Needs Archive log explaining that it is blocked off for a long time. The Reviewer and Cache Owner will hash it out.

We have a cache in a park here that is now inaccessible due to construction. The owner of it has not been online in sometime. My friend who went to find the cache after me put a NM with an explanation of what is going on with that cache.

If they noodle with where it's attached the cache is a goner (It's a nano). I see an NA in the future of that cache.

You could put up a NM log stating the construction issue. A month later if no action has been taken, log a NA log. Then the reviewer can take it from there. The reviewer around here usualy will post a note to the cache page giving the CO 4 weeks, then if no responce, the cache is archived. That would give the CO 2 months to responde, but would start the chain of events to get the cache dealt with properly.

If it is archived, you could be kind and volinteer to go collect the geo-litter. That may involve getting talking to the construction guys. And the best part is, you could then post a Found log and get your smiley. (You can post found logs even after a cache is archived)

I had three caches is areas that became closed, due to construction. I marked them as 'unavailable' with an explanation. (This is reconstruction of parks.) One became available again six months later, and I reactivated the cache. (Though I did have to move it, due to the reconfiguration of the park.) One I archived after six months. That reconstruction took over a year. The third, I was very sorry to have to archive. It was a great hide/location. (But, two years later, the area is still not open...) When I archived it, the reviewer posted a note saying that he was sorry to see it archive, because he loved that cache! That made my day! My new cache in the area is not as good a hide, but still shows you the spectacular view.

Such caches should be marked as 'unavailable'. If the owner has not been on-line, leave a note for future cache hunters.