POLL: Tagless Travel Bugs

Rubbertoe

This is just making an 'official' poll of the question that was brought up by Jeremy in another thread.

He asked opinions on a "tagless travel bug" which would essentially operate in the same manner as current travel bugs, except there would be no 'dogtag' style tag that you had to buy.

Instead of the dogtags, you would purchase travel bug numbers at a significantly lower cost, and be provided a tracking number which you would print out, or make your own little tag with.

So the poll question is:

Do you think having "tagless travel bugs" would be a good idea?

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

Anything to help those of us who are caching on a budget!! With the cost of gas and fast food (for 6), it can get expensive to travel to a cache site once you have gotten all of the local caches!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

With the thread that this topic generated, I guess I was expecting a little more of a response than this. *shrug* icon_smile.gif

I voted all for 'em. However I was thinking also....where as it may not be as easy for cachers to track their finds of the bug....wouldn't it be possible to take a regular item (Hot Wheels car for instance)....setup an outside webpage for it...physically attach a sheet saying that I want to travel around the world, or whatever, and direct finders to your site to log movement? I think this might be more work than it's worth, and probably nothing that I would do because of that, but just an idea. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

With the thread that this topic generated, I guess I was expecting a little more of a response than this. *shrug* icon_smile.gif

I voted all for 'em. However I was thinking also....where as it may not be as easy for cachers to track their finds of the bug....wouldn't it be possible to take a regular item (Hot Wheels car for instance)....setup an outside webpage for it...physically attach a sheet saying that I want to travel around the world, or whatever, and direct finders to your site to log movement? I think this might be more work than it's worth, and probably nothing that I would do because of that, but just an idea. icon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking about buying a TB and then cutting it down to fit in a microcache--a "micro bug" if you will. However, a tagless TB would be better as I think we all are on a tight budget. I can create a small metal tag that can be used. The problem, like another poster said, would be for most people creating a durable, official-looking tag.

If running out of numbers are a concern, a 6 digit alpha-numeric (A-Z and 3,4,6,7,8,9 - the rest are deleted to reduce errors, i.e. 2 and Z look similar unless very clearly written out) yields a billion numbers, while 8 digits yields about a trillion.

Also, I would be more inclined to buy a TB number at maybe a $1 a piece, especially if I get the number instantly.

If the TBs were free it would be a huge problem as there would be the tons of TBs floating around. People could make all of their items TBs and we'd be deluged with them.

But overall, I think a tagless TB, or DIY TBs are a good idea.

CR

I'm going to close the poll... I'm not sure if it will also close the thread as well, but I'd like to thank everyone for their replies and votes.

People FOR tagless tracking numbers - 45

People AGAINST tagless tracking numbers - 24

Thanks again, and feel free to start another thread on this topic if you have more comments or concerns.

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

quote:
Originally posted by ManaUser:

I think it's a good idea. But I hope there's some way to do it besides using my least favorite file format in all the world. (PDF) Even just getting an e-mal with the number would be okay IMHO. But a printable tag in some alternate format would be even better.

Yeah - it'd be neat if you could specify which format you want. Some people like a nice, tidy PDF file... while others might like a high resolution JPG image that has the number coded into it somehow, in some big fancy geocaching design. icon_smile.gif

Maybe PDF is infinitely resizable, letting people make tags as big or small as they want, without jaggies. Like, umm, like... fonts.. true type? uhh... I can't remember now... umm nevermind. icon_smile.gif

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

I don't come here all that terribly often; too busy finding caches to talk about them much icon_wink.gif But Webfoot has been encouraging me to drop in more often, so here I am.

When I first saw this poll, I was more on the side of "leave it alone; if it ain't broke..." etc. In reading some of the comments, I'm thinking that this might a good idea. Certainly the number of micro-caches around here (Ventura County) makes the idea of a micro-bug more enticing. I'm still more likely to keep buying the regular tags, as well as geocoins, as I like them. But the occasional micro-tag would be nice. But you better give them a lot of play if you do it, so that folks will have half a chance of knowing about them! There are enough people out there who don't know what to do with the regular TBs as it is, as evidenced by the TB graveyard. icon_frown.gif

Jim of chaosmanor

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

If it required purchasing the numbers then I would rather just make my own and track them through my own website like cache monkeys do.

So you have no need for TBs if they are tagless or not ?

http://brillig.com/geocaching/http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/22008_1700.gif http://www.gpgeocaching.com/

No. I don't see how anyone NEEDs TB's. I need food, clothes, etc., not TB's :-)

I'm just saying that I don't see the value in PAYING for tagless bugs. When you pay for a TB now you GET something. IF the TlTB's were 10 cents each then MAYBE it would make sense.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I've been watching this thread for a while, and thought I'd finally chime in. I would definitely buy one. I think it's a great idea because it adds extra flexibility. Right now I have a Geolution running. I used it for 2 reasons: 1. It was free. 2. I didn't have to wait on a tag to arrive before releasing it. Reason 2 is more important than number 1 in my book. I'd have no problem with paying a couple dollars for a bug I could receive in a couple hours that can be tracked within the Geocaching web site! It's the biggest drawback of the Geolution. People have to go to an external web site to log it, and the TB icon doesn't show up on the cache to let people know it's there.

65614_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

If it required purchasing the numbers then I would rather just make my own and track them through my own website like cache monkeys do.

When you buy the current TB your buying a number. If Jeremy were to sell the 'tagless' TBs you would still being buying a number. So what are you saing?, i'm confused...

quote:
I'm just saying that I don't see the value in PAYING for tagless bugs. When you pay for a TB now you GET something. IF the TlTB's were 10 cents each then MAYBE it would make sense.

Yea, the something you get is a serial number, and the metal tag that number happens to be printed on. Without the number those tags are about useless(IMO). Maybe they could used to make some flashy ear rings, since they are kinda shinny to start with icon_wink.gif

As for myself I WANT the number more than the slip of metal, So why would I want to buy something I have no use for, when I could get exactly what I WANT without paying extra? icon_confused.gif

[waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by degomi:

The biggest advantage of the Tagless Bug is you could get the number INSTANTLY. You wouldn't have to wait. Many Many more TB would be out there.

The metal tags are nice. I agree with everyone here that really you just want the serial number.

OK. This is an advantage, but how does that suggest that more travel bugs would be out there?

I mean, what's the turnaround time for the tags? Three or four days? Now if the tagless numbers were a lot cheaper, then, yes, I'd agree with you that more bugs would be out there, but the time factor isn't a limiting factor in how many travel bugs are out there.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

I mean, what's the turnaround time for the tags? Three or four days?

I think it might be just a bit longer, especially when they run out and have to order more...

quote:
Now if the tagless numbers were a lot cheaper, then, yes, I'd agree with you that more bugs would be out there...

Well the cheapest you can get a new TB tag for is what? $5 per tag, when ordering a 8 pack, right?

If you looked back to the very first post by Jeremy in this thread, you will see that he has indicated that the just selling the serial number would make them cheaper. Groundspeak would not have to order anything, and would not have to stock anything. Just generate a number and send it out.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

We should be able to something like Moun10Bike's geocoins tracking system as long as the numbers are tied to the bug name.

Moun10Bike's coins were 'one time deal', TPTB have said they won't do that again (set out a block of numbers for someone)icon_frown.gif

So if you want to use the TB database to track a coin you have to buy a serial, at $5 plus coin cost that would realy expensive really quick.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg