New Magellan GPS units

DavorF

today Magellan revealed new generation of handheld GPS units - the eXplorists 510/610/710

More info at Magellan site - http://www.magellangps.com/products/produc...amp;prodID=2377

Highligths:

- 3.0" touch screen

- two hard buttons

- road navigation with voice guidance

- 3D map view

- hybrid maps view

- waypoint projection

- file system

- paperless GC

- microSD slot

- mini USB

- 2xAA

- IPX 7

... and lots more :)

Edited by DavorF

Hoping that European customers will see something this time.

I hope too,

good sign is that first presentation of the new units takes place in Europe ( Friedrichshafen Outdoor Show ).

As for topo maps,

"old" *.imi maps ( from eXplorists and Tritons ) are compatible with new eXplorists.

However,

new feature like shading requires new maps ...

Raster *.rmp format remain the same.

Looks good. Will have some features that I like on the old eXplorist line such as file system. That file and menu system is my favorite. And The tracking features were the best on my eX500.

My eXGC is a decent GPSr, but not a full featured hiking unit. I plan to upgrade to one of these new models and see if they can compete with my PN-30 as primary hiking GPSr.

I think the screen shots look amazing on the new Explorists - almost makes me consider a Magellan. I wonder if the checkered history of the Triton lineup will sway possible converts?! As soon as we see the price points I guess we will see. The 510 is interesting with no compass/altimeter but a camera! Cool!

I think the screen shots look amazing on the new Explorists - almost makes me consider a Magellan. I wonder if the checkered history of the Triton lineup will sway possible converts?! As soon as we see the price points I guess we will see. The 510 is interesting with no compass/altimeter but a camera! Cool!

I remember the Triton series looking pretty slick as well....and look what happened.

IMO, you're right to be skeptical. Triton was a disaster. They've treated their customer badly for the last several years. Selling new units that were unrepairable, hardcoding the WAAS satellite numbers so they quit working when the constellation changed, having a firmware update that seemed to guarantee "non-repairable" units, and changing the name of the mapping software on every release so you didn't honor upgrade price was really bad.

But I'm hopeful for them. They're now owned by a company that is in the business of selling tech products (Mitac) and not a salvage yard as Shah Capital was. (Pro Tip: never be owned by a group whose name contains "Capital".)

They've demonstrated that they understand geocaching with the GC product that's reversed most of the sins of Triton (open interface, native support of GPX, no proprietary cables, reasonable performance, etc.)

I'm hopeful they've returned to the game and look forward to more competition in the geocaching GPS biz. The product and support will make it or break it. I won't forget their previous sins against the industry, but I've seen some evidence they've learned from them, too.

I think that companies can change. I'm hopeful that they're back int he game and encourage them to rock the boat with new products.

Bring it. The products and support will quickly tell the story.

I was excited when the GC came out, published some comments about it and received a huge backlash from really irritated Magellan customers (mostly Triton users) warning me to flee from Magellan in any way, shape or form! I also mentioned that a company could change, but was met with utter skepticism and ridicule. That said, I still think the units & menus look incredible, far better/more attractive than Garmin IMHO. The PN-60 looks great too. Its exciting to see some more competition in the arena!

I was excited when the GC came out, published some comments about it and received a huge backlash from really irritated Magellan customers (mostly Triton users) warning me to flee from Magellan in any way, shape or form! I also mentioned that a company could change, but was met with utter skepticism and ridicule. That said, I still think the units & menus look incredible, far better/more attractive than Garmin IMHO. The PN-60 looks great too. Its exciting to see some more competition in the arena!

Like a few others have said the earlier explorist's had a great file system, true each file only held 200 caches, but you could have as many files as your sd card could hold I've got 40 files on mine for different areas here in SoCal.

I loved my 2 old exp 500s, now the triton 400 that is a love/hate affair loved the accuracy but hated having to use vantagpoint to load caches and maps

I'm more and more stoked about these new explorists all the time. If they don't have the old magellan support issues and boomerang effects people complain about, these units might be rockin' the set. What I like is that even on the $350 510 unit, you get a 3.2MP camera! That's rad! I always take pictures while caching and this unit geotags them automatically. :laughing: Plus I love the design form factor and how amazing the screens look. AND, if it can handle the 10,000 caches of the baby brother GC unit in quick and easy drag n' drop .GPX files, it is going to be a total winner! Or even if you can use the file system to use 500 caches/time files, that's OK with me. I will be eagerly watching for hands on reviews. :laughing:

2503339a-c762-4417-8cda-6c39d4b7c1b7.jpg