10 years of caching in SA

CapeDoc

Hi all

I have been thinking that we should have a couple of event caches to celebrate 10 years of caching in SA.

I went so far as to ask Groundspeak to allow us to use the 10 year icon, but that was not possible as it has been Grandfathered.

I am writing of to a few of the "Founding Members" in the Western Cape seeing if I cant persuade them to come to a WC event cache as "Guests of Honor".

Ideas?...

Jors, want to come to an EC near Sentinel View, the oldest active cache in the country, mid Jan 2011?

I have been thinking that we should have a couple of event caches to celebrate 10 years of caching in SA.

I went so far as to ask Groundspeak to allow us to use the 10 year icon, but that was not possible as it has been Grandfathered.

I've been thinking along those exact lines - and was also hoping for a 10 year icon, but I guess it is not to be :)

Jors, want to come to an EC near Sentinel View, the oldest active cache in the country, mid Jan 2011?

Just let me know where to pick up the plane ticket, and I'm there! :)

I've made a note to arrange something close to the first cache planted in SA (GCZA01, planted 14-1-2001 but found by Jors on 17-1-2001) for the Sunday 16th Jan 2011 after discussing it with some fellow cachers on the 10 Years Event in Centurion.

Maybe someone in each province could refer to this cache in their own event listings for one of those two days ?

Luckily we've got the "oldest" caching legend in our province !

Worm

Edited by Wormgeocash

Sent off an email to Prof Merry. He replied that he thought it a good idea and he, and co-placer will probably attend an EC ....but was more interested in a glass of bubbly at the cache! This too can be arranged!

This sounds like a jol! So we have an event in Jan 2011 at Sentinel View. With Charles Merry (*) and what about Peter Scholtz? That would be quite a memorable occasion.

(*) and bubbles...

Glad to see this being discussed as no formal plans have been made. If it suits the Northerners to be the last W/E in the school hols, I am sure that can be arranged.

The first day of school for next year is:

Wednesday 12 January 2011 for the inland provinces and

Wednesday 19 January 2011 for the coastal provinces.

Doc's suggestion would make the Cape Event the week-end of 8/9 Jan 2011 and

the Northerners can use the more correct date, between the 14th and the 17th, being the period the first cache was then waiting to be found. :laughing:

I like both the writing on the disc around the globe and the writing on the back.

the globe will be 3 dimensional (do you think it should be?) and will spin, the circular part around it will also spin.

How about the bottom design with other wording on the disc around the globe?

- "The rainbow nation"

-"A world in one country"

- Hello in all of our national languages...

??

The top one is TOPS!!! It will definitely be on my shopping list. Great job well done - don't mess with a good thing.

I agree. When is it going into production and how soon can we order them? Presently, I hope! Wouldn't it be great to see some of these in circulation for the Great 2011 TB race.... Hope springs eternal.... :)

Hello all,

It certainly has been a while. I started caching 10 June 2001 at Maanhaarrand. How can I get my grubby little paws on one of those coins. I know I have not been all that active, but at least I still have one of the most visited caches in SA, just because it was placed in 2002...

Hello all,

It certainly has been a while. I started caching 10 June 2001 at Maanhaarrand. How can I get my grubby little paws on one of those coins. I know I have not been all that active, but at least I still have one of the most visited caches in SA, just because it was placed in 2002...

Hey Brick

Good to see you online again

Will we see caches going up again?

Hello all,

Hey Brick

Good to see you online again

Will we see caches going up again?

Nope. Been a bit busy with other things. I cache so little these days, it hardly counts.