Ammo Can Ideas

I picked up a couple of 50 caliber ammo cans at a flea market last weekend. The majority of my hides are camo'd Lock 'n Locks and I've never hidden a big ammo can before. Rather than sticking them behind logs or under a geo-pile, I was wondering what creative, diabolical and devious ideas you guys have for hiding traditional full size ammo cans? My area is suburban/rural with an assortment of woods and parks scattered around.

Edited by bikebill77

I picked up a couple of 50 caliber ammo cans at a flea market last weekend. The majority of my hides are camo'd Lock 'n Locks and I've never hidden a big ammo can before. Rather than sticking them behind logs or under a geo-pile, I was wondering what creative, diabolical and devious ideas you guys have for hiding traditional full size ammo cans? My area is suburban/rural with an assortment of woods and parks scattered around.

My first suggestion, is if you are hiding them anywhere near an urban area, even if a nearby wooded area, then sand off any markings and repaint/camo them. No doubt you are already planning on doing that.

Now if you indicate on your listing that it is an ammo can, many cachers won't be looking for one high up in a tree so that's a possibility. Even better, turn it into a fake bird's nest by glueing onto it nest-like material that you can get from a craft store and list is as an unknown size.

Me, personally, I like the creative cache containers more than the diabolical ones, but even they have their place.

My first suggestion, is if you are hiding them anywhere near an urban area, even if a nearby wooded area, then sand off any markings and repaint/camo them. No doubt you are already planning on doing that.

Now if you indicate on your listing that it is an ammo can, many cachers won't be looking for one high up in a tree so that's a possibility. Even better, turn it into a fake bird's nest by glueing onto it nest-like material that you can get from a craft store and list is as an unknown size.

Me, personally, I like the creative cache containers more than the diabolical ones, but even they have their place.

I advise anyone to NOT list in the cache description that your cache is an ammo can. That's an easy way to lose an ammo can.

Here is what I did with A .30 CAL ammo can.

th_3D-Ammo-Can-1.jpg

th_3D-Ammo-Can-2.jpg

th_3D-Ammo-Can-underside.jpg

I advise anyone to NOT list in the cache description that your cache is an ammo can. That's an easy way to lose an ammo can

I would disagree strongly. While you do get the occasional theft it is not worth changing habits about.

A local legend has 244 hides with way more than 50% being ammo cans and he has never had a theft. So don't sweat it.

I advise anyone to NOT list in the cache description that your cache is an ammo can. That's an easy way to lose an ammo can.

I totally agree. I stopped listing in the description that the cache is an ammo can. I would get it stolen amost every time when I did. :)

Yeah, that one lol. I tired finding it but the site was being slow.

that's where you learn not to use the forum itself at all, but rather use google :)

(which is a really bad sign for the forums btw. but we all know that anyway.)

I have seen, but have not done:

expanding spray foam used to make it look like a rock. Looks like the put it in a bag, and spray it in, then paint it like a rock.

expanding spray foam used to make it look like a rock. Looks like the put it in a bag, and spray it in, then paint it like a rock.

Was it all six sides covered or did they leave a side or two uncovered so you could open the lid? I'd love to see how that looked.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I totally agree. I stopped listing in the description that the cache is an ammo can. I would get it stolen amost every time when I did. :)

That's terrible! There's no one but cachers who could steal them! That's a nice "thank you"!

Now I feel bad because recently we found a cache that had a brand new, really nice amo can and I complemented them on it in my log. I will go and see if I can edit that part.

Now I feel bad...

Don't bother. Giving in to paranoia won't keep a cache thief from stealing caches. Of my 64 active hides, I'm pretty sure all but five are ammo cans, and are listed as such on the cache pages. In 5 years of hiding caches, I've had one stolen.

Yeah, but those are nipple-deep in alligator infested swamp water. Only a madman would ever go to (or hide) those caches!

Was it all six sides covered or did they leave a side or two uncovered so you could open the lid? I'd love to see how that looked.

Looks like they put it in a bag, to get the odd shape of a small bolder. I would guess they then filled it with spray foam. Probably made sure while it was drying that it had a good bolder like shape. Then ofter peeling off the plastic bag, they cut a slit for the lid. There was no foam on the latch or hinge. But the sides and top were covered, with like i said a slit for it to open. Then painted.

Yeah, but those are nipple-deep in alligator infested swamp water.

Funny you should mention that. My first hide is an ammo can that is basically a P&G. It's less than a quarter mile hike, in a small park, with very little bushwhacking. It is still active, and has never been bothered. The one I had stolen was an ammo can that required just over 2 miles of hiking round trip, then a lot of poking/crawling around/over/under slabs of concrete from an old bridge demolished many decades ago. It was stolen a few years ago. I replaced that one with another ammo can in a slightly different spot, and it hasn't been bothered since.

The caches I own that requires the most severe bushwhacking are the ones along Mormon Creek, in the Ocala National Forest. The environment devolves quickly into a double canopy semi-tropical jungle, with gobs of muck, quicksand and nasty critters of all sorts. An out of town cacher hunted them, hiding one of his own deep in the swamp. It was hoisted way up a tree, on a rope, similar to what folks do to keep food away from bears. That ammo can disappeared, but the cleanly cut rope was left behind. A thorough search of the area failed to locate the ammo can, which, along with the cleanly severed rope leads me to believe someone stole it.

Strange things happen. Sometimes they happen to ammo cans. :)

Since you asked about actual hides..

One of, or maybe the, first I ever did was a multi..

Three of us together, 5 stages I think, covered a couple miles around a city park. The final coords threw us for a loop, as near we could tell, they pointed to a spot 30 feet out in the lake. Got dark on us, and we had to come back the next day.. darned if after another hour of "contemplation" we didn't notice a piece of 550 cord tied to a root of a tree just under the water line.... 30 feet of realing in a submerged .50 can..