Cache owners.... do you care about logs?

Cache owners, do you check or even care if people who find your cache, or dont find your cache sign the physical logs or not?

and what do you do with your full logs when there is no room left for new signatures?

i personally couldnt care less about people signing the physical log or not, if they find it thats all that matters to me.

i wont ever check my logs to see if someone actually was there or not, because what does your post count really matter? If you didnt find my cache, the only person who cares is you.

however, if you are logging a dnf, because you couldnt find the container, and want me to make sure it is still there, that IS important to me, because although you didnt sign the log, i dont want to prevent the next cacher from finding the cache.

Edited by ashnikes
Cache owners, do you check or even care if people who find your cache, or dont find your cache sign the physical logs or not?

If people who did not find my cache sign the physical log, I definitely do care. I want to learn how to do that.

Do you even read these forums?

Only the threads he starts :)

read? what is the meaning of this?

All questions have an answer.

I like to read the logs in my caches. Some of the entries are fun. Though it is becoming less the norm. When I started it was common practice to write a line or three at a minimum. Now it is becoming rare. I have even had someone ask why I wasted the space in the log book. :)

I don't compare them to the online logs. I think claiming a find on a cache that you didn't is rather pathetic, but it isn't my problem.

Speaking of which, let's review some of the threads started by the OP:
  1. I spent my vacation hiding new caches
  2. I am leaving geocaching.....
  3. I want to bury a cache....
  4. Post office caches
  5. Watch who's watching you?
  6. did i go overboard with the html on this page?
  7. How do "vacation caches" get approved?
  8. This thread

Most of these threads (#'s 3-8) could be answered in existing threads, findable with a quick forum search. Many (#'s 1-4 & 8) could be seen as pot stirring.

C'mon, if Snoogans started posting threads like this, people's be on him like white on rice, telling him to stop trolling.

'Cept he'd post cool pictures, like this:

840f47bd-f595-4214-b367-8fc1800f155b.jpga58cf094-586a-4dc8-a5e9-0d12fe6c8281.jpg

and what do you do with your full logs when there is no room left for new signatures?

i personally couldnt care less about people signing the physical log or not, if they find it thats all that matters to me.

i wont ever check my logs to see if someone actually was there or not, because what does your post count really matter? If you didnt find my cache, the only person who cares is you.

however, if you are logging a dnf, because you couldnt find the container, and want me to make sure it is still there, that IS important to me, because although you didnt sign the log, i dont want to prevent the next cacher from finding the cache.

I will only go and check if there is a valid reason to check, like finding out the cacher has found 100 caches in 10 countries in 1 day. Other than than, its their honor.

I dispose of full logs. Just more stuff to hang on to.

4. Post office caches
  8. This thread

Most of these threads (#'s 3-8) could be answered in existing threads, findable with a quick forum search. Many (#'s 1-4 & 8) could be seen as pot stirring.

His method has been obvious from the start.

He reads the forum looking for angsty topics then starts a new thread about them.

His first week here he had every bad thing that could happen to a cacher 'happen to him'.

After about the fourth 'this happened to / I am concerned about' thread it was obvious he was just picking out angsty existing thread topics to troll.

yet another forum topic that's going on concurrently. I can understand about starting threads that have been started several times before, say in the last week since they are hard to find with the search... but threads that are actually going on currently with active posting? Come on man... you were starting to do so well.

If you want to know my answer, please refer to one of the other threads on this topic.

I thought you said you were leaving Geocaching?

Scubasonic

Scubasonic

Even though the girl dumped him, he found some around here actually like him and would miss him.

Scubasonic

Even though the girl dumped him, he found some around here actually like him and would miss him.

I think she made the right choice.

SS

The only time I audited a cache was on a tough puzzle.

That said, if I know someone hadn't signed the phisical log, but had logged online, I would delete the online log. Well...maybe. Don't want to get a cacher angry with you. Especialy because he knows where your cache is hidden, and can easyly 'punish' you for beeing too legalistic (or whatever).

Only the threads he starts :D
  4. Post office caches
  8. This thread

C'mon, if Snoogans started posting threads like this, people's be on him like white on rice, telling him to stop trolling.

I think you forgot:

What have you hidden besides caches?

:)

I think I got ashniked with the apologetic return to geocaching the other day. :)

Seems like we're back where we started. :D

How hard is it to scroll through the list of current threads? Seriously.

How hard is it to change the active topics search at the bottom of the page to more than the last 3 days? Seriously?

Is there some sort of competition between ashnikes and pinehurst? :D

Edited by Pup Patrol

Yes, I do.

I have an ammo can full of old logs. I can refer to them at any time if need be.

I do care, but I don't always check. Probably I should, but deleting finds is a very sad task. :rolleyes:

If you tell me you didn't sign the log, it's getting deleted.

The most important point of the whole post.

The best reason to not post bogus found logs as well.

Yes, I check the physical log against the online log. Any one that has signed the physical log but has not logged on line have their logs deleted.

I used to do that but then I decided it was a far too puritanical view of the rules; and beside I really didn't want to check whether everyone who took something from the cache left something of equal or greater value. So I don't enforce the rules at all anymore.

The Rules of Geocaching

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com. <=== if you don't do this you're not following the rules.

Not really, I don't get why caches even have them.

Signing of the actual log sheet is the only true proof that you actually took the time to make the find....

1. How is it the only true proof? If I make a deal with my buddy and we each sign the others name along with our own on each cache we find, does that mean we both found all the caches? There are probably better methods of proof, such as a photo of the cacher with the cache, or having CSI dust the cache for fingerprints or a DNA sample.

2. Why would true proof actually be needed. Other than a truly bogus log that could mislead the cache owner to believe a cache is there and therefore skip a maintenance visit, an online find without signing the log doesn't really effect anyone. A few cache owners who place a cache with a physical challenge to retrieve the container and/or open it, may elect to use the signed log as a way to verify that challenge is met. Otherwise demanding some sort of proof to reward cachers with a smiley is simply someone who is treating the smiley as some kind of valuable prize which is it not.

Signing of the actual log sheet is the only true proof that you actually took the time to make the find....

1. How is it the only true proof? If I make a deal with my buddy and we each sign the others name along with our own on each cache we find, does that mean we both found all the caches? There are probably better methods of proof, such as a photo of the cacher with the cache, or having CSI dust the cache for fingerprints or a DNA sample.

2. Why would true proof actually be needed. Other than a truly bogus log that could mislead the cache owner to believe a cache is there and therefore skip a maintenance visit, an online find without signing the log doesn't really effect anyone. A few cache owners who place a cache with a physical challenge to retrieve the container and/or open it, may elect to use the signed log as a way to verify that challenge is met. Otherwise demanding some sort of proof to reward cachers with a smiley is simply someone who is treating the smiley as some kind of valuable prize which is it not.

You could go easy on decadiddy on his first post, you know...

Would you accept a photograph as proof? I've taken pictures when I didn't have a pen with me.

I don't care about the paper log in the cache itself. I do care about the online logs. I like knowing that folks are finding or DNFing my cache.

I recently had the shortest online log for one of my caches ever :rolleyes: colon right parentheses It made me wonder if they even went out there since they also logged one about a mile away with the same log. The other cache I couldn't find probably because it was missing.

On the other hand, I have seen the paper logs on 2 caches signed by Dave Ulmer "the father of geocaching"

He rarely if ever logs cache finds online.

One of my friends who has not found my cache, will soon find it and let me know who logged it before him.

Edited by tomfuller & Quill

I recently had the shortest online log for one of my caches ever :rolleyes: colon right parentheses It made me wonder if they even went out there since they also logged one about a mile away with the same log. The other cache I couldn't find probably because it was missing.

On the other hand, I have seen the paper logs on 2 caches signed by Dave Ulmer "the father of geocaching"

He rarely if ever logs cache finds online.

One of my friends who has not found my cache, will soon find it and let me know who logged it before him.

I think those types of logs happen when people log with their smartphones. I had an interesting discussion with another forum regular about this sort of thing, and that's what we determined...

Yes, I check the physical log against the online log. Any one that has signed the physical log but has not logged on line have their logs deleted.

Yup thats the way I do it. Some times I cross it out sometimes I cut them out.

Edited by FunnyNose

I do it the other way around. I check online logs with the physical logs and cross out anyone who does not log online. :unsure:

Wasn't that what jholly said?

Anyone who signed the physical log, but did not find the cache, will get serious scrutiny from me.

I rarely check the physical log. I greatly appreciate the online logs and the stories they tell. I like stories. I do not like TNLNSL or TFTC. These logs tell me the finder does not appreciate and enjoy caching the same way I do. I try not to dwell on them. On rare occasion I contact the TFTC folks and try to engage them in a discussion of why a better log makes a difference. The TFTC folks rarely have any hides of their own or are newbies.

We remove the old log, look at it, then it goes into the recycling. The only log that has been deleted online was someone claiming a find (on a joint hide of ours) when only one stage of a multi had been found...they hadn't completed the second stage and signed the physical log. But, they were new to the game so it was understandable. A polite message was sent explaining why the deletion was done.

I like the online logs - the funnier the better!