Private property caches - Help with getting permisson

Okay so I have a great idea for a Travel bug Pit Stop. I have contacted the owner of a pretty well know race track and I thought i did a pretty good job of asking for permission to hide a cache on the outskirts of their huge parking area. Well I get an email back that they need more information for the scope of the request. I still think I did a pretty good job explaining all the details but if I can address one more concern they have that would be great. They seemed receptive to the idea but they did mention that since it is private property that there may be insurance issue that may prevent being able to grant the request.

Does anyone know if the disclaimer that is on every cache page, that no one probably reads since it is a link, covers private property owners - the one that says use the geocaching website information at your own risk. Or is there anything that you have been able to tell a property owner to reassure them that their normal insurance will probably cover this? I would think that a race track would have some hefty insurance but not sure how to answer that type of concern.

Thanks a bunch as always.

The disclaimer on the website is so the website can't be held liable for any actions taken while caching (including injuries). This disclaimer likely would not hold up if someone attempted to sue the race track should they be injured while geocaching on the property.

They would need to contact their own insurance company with the proposal in order to see if it's something their insurance would cover and ok. There's no way you as a cache owner would have access to the terms and conditions of their insurance policy.

I think one thing you can do, is make the cache, then take the physical cache in to the owner / property manager, and show them what it is, and then drag them out to where you want to hide the cache, and show them what it will look like hidden. Then explain to them, that although it may get a handfull of visitors the first day it is published, after that, it may only get one group or less looking for it a month afterwords. this is a very low traffic sport, and most cachers take great pride in respecting the environment.

also inform them it will only increase the advertising for the business (even though indirectly0 people will be coming form all over to visit the establishment looking for the cache, and may wander over to patronize the business.

this usually does the trick for me,

you can email them and even call them back and forth all day long, but until you actually show them what you are doing, and with what you are doing it with, they just will not understand.

I think once they see the object you are hiding, they will drop the insurance jargon.

my two cents.

If they need extra information assure them that you will place it well away from buildings and fences. That people wouldn't have any opportunity to accidentally wander into the pits or onto the race track or any other dangerous area on the property or any area where vandalism or theft would be something worrisome.

I would bet the concern the race track is having is that people will be there and messing around during unmanned hours which is an insurance nightmare.

course in the end, no cache hide is worth the hassle of a back and forth battle,

you can im sure always find a place to hide it near the track, and post about the track in the cache page, but not actually hide the cache on the race tracks property. im sure there is at least one place in the vacinity that would be accessable 24/7 that is close enough to the track to get your point across, but far enough away that no one is worrying about the insurance nightmares, or afterhours curefues.