Oregon 400t and Memory Card

I have an Oregon 400t and have been trying to understand how to set up my directories so that the device will recognize any Maps or Caches I have on my external memory card. What do I need to do to be able to have the Oregon recognize what is on my card?

I have an Oregon 400t and have been trying to understand how to set up my directories so that the device will recognize any Maps or Caches I have on my external memory card. What do I need to do to be able to have the Oregon recognize what is on my card?

This is a duplicate post. Was the response to your prior post ( http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=254741 ) of any value? It addresses maps on a storage card.

Or are you perhaps referring to custom maps?

Edited by New Jersey TJ

The links above did not help much. I want to be able to put different Pocket Queries on an SD card and change when I go to different places. I want to know how to name the directories to get the Oregon to see the caches. I have been unable to get it to recognize any files on the card so far.

The links above did not help much. I want to be able to put different Pocket Queries on an SD card and change when I go to different places. I want to know how to name the directories to get the Oregon to see the caches. I have been unable to get it to recognize any files on the card so far.

I always load my PQs to to device, not the card. About the only thing I can suggest is try creating a \GPX directory on the card. I'm guessing you've already tried this.

The other issue is how to "switch" which PQs are currently being used. AFAIK, there is no way to do this without hooking the GPS back up to a computer.

I currently keep PQs for 3 separate areas on my 400T. I don't worry about switching them because I typically just look at what is close. I haven't had an issue with this, because my total cache count in the .gpx's remains under 2000. I'm guessing that if all of your .gpx's hold more than 2000 caches, then this is why you've posed the question. I don't know that there is a solution.

I suppose you could switch to a x50 series . . . the cache maximum is 5,000 on those! :)

c0dc9109-cc10-4430-85d7-87e4c7cbb257.jpg

The links above do answer your questions. You just have to spend some time reading the Oregon Wiki.

Maybe a picture will help.

1) You need a “Garmin” folder on your microSD.

2) In that “Garmin” folder you need a “GPX” folder.

3) .img files (maps) go in the “Garmin” folder.

4) .gpx files (Geocaches) go in the “GPX” folder.

The GPSr searches for maps in the “Garmin” folder and ALL geocaches in the “GPX” folder when you turn it on. There is no way to choose which geocaches you want to load from the GPSr. You must connect to a PC and make file changes. You could load different .gpx files for diffrent areas on multiple microSD's and swap memory? Not sure why you would want to do that unless you exceeded the max. 2000 geocaches?

The “CustomMaps” folder is for custom areal maps. The “GarminSDcard.ico” is a custom icon. You probably don’t need either.

Edited by Cacheoholic