Anyone have luck with camera caches?

mchaos

Just trying to see if any one has had any luck with camera caches. Where you put a disposable camera in the cache for people to take pictures of them selves and put it back in.

I am going to do one, but I haven't seen one, or found one on the site with pics posted from one. I hope that I will be able to develop the film and it doesn't either get ruined or taken...

I am putting it in a ziplock to prolong the film life, and its going into a lock & lock.

I've found one of these, about 3 years ago. As I recall, the camera was full and waiting for the CO to retrieve. I think I also saw a link to one that actually had a gallery of pictures set-up.

Instead of a baggie, why not just get a waterproof disposable camera? Walmart has them at decent prices. I've used them kayaking as well as underwater with no problems.

Instead of a baggie, why not just get a waterproof disposable camera? Walmart has them at decent prices. I've used them kayaking as well as underwater with no problems.

I thought about that but its not going to be submerged, ( I hope! ) And its already going to be in a lock & lock, which are very good at keeping dry. I figured the ziplock would be double protection. Although I did get one with a flash, I am not sure why lol. I guess I was thinking about low light, or some one night caching.

The one I saw nearer to me was abandoned by the cache owner so some cache finder went out and got the camera and developed it and offered to send the owner the pictures if they were ever interested in them.

I'd note somewhere that the camera isn't swag both on the cache page and in the log and on the camera. Then don't be surprised to see bits and pieces of cachers that you never really wanted to see... just remember for some cameras are an open invitation to expose themselves.

Just trying to see if any one has had any luck with camera caches. Where you put a disposable camera in the cache for people to take pictures of them selves and put it back in.

I am going to do one, but I haven't seen one, or found one on the site with pics posted from one. I hope that I will be able to develop the film and it doesn't either get ruined or taken...

I am putting it in a ziplock to prolong the film life, and its going into a lock & lock.

Been talking about using a wild life camera.... One that takes a pic. on a motion sensor. Afraid it would walk off. Plus the cheap ones are around 75 or 80 dollars.

The one I saw nearer to me was abandoned by the cache owner so some cache finder went out and got the camera and developed it and offered to send the owner the pictures if they were ever interested in them.

I'd note somewhere that the camera isn't swag both on the cache page and in the log and on the camera. Then don't be surprised to see bits and pieces of cachers that you never really wanted to see... just remember for some cameras are an open invitation to expose themselves.

I figured I may get some bad picks, but we would just ignore those.

Here's on of the first ones we've ever visited. It was a full sized amo can with trades and a camera in a

ziplock with a note that was very specific about what it was for. I thought it was awesome!

GCQ2Z2

GCQ272

This was the kind of thing I was shooting for.

Been talking about using a wild life camera.... One that takes a pic. on a motion sensor. Afraid it would walk off. Plus the cheap ones are around 75 or 80 dollars.

[/quoteI

I did this for This cache. I put the camera IN the cache, so that when the box was opened they got ambushed with a photo flash.

It was tough to keep up and running. The camera used 10 D batteries, and the cold weather just sapped them over night again and again. Too expensive, so I took the camera out. Pics are posted to the page, and it was fun. But since our area has since developed a very healthy social group of cachers, and we get together for a dinner event once a month, we know what everyone looks like now anyway.

Edited by 2qwerqE

Yeah but how many people actually post a pic??

There is an overlook about 600 feet away from where I plan on placing the cache. I am hoping people will take advantage and take the picture there.

I find that if you specifically ask in the cache description, people are more likely to do it.

As for placing a camera I just have reservations of dropping it off at a film developer. You never know what turn up in a photo. I've never heard about a problem but I still worry about it.

The two which come to mind are Blue Suede Shoes and Room With A View

Blue Suede Shoes (not mine) was a fun one with the Elvis glasses (with attached sideburns), though it seems to have had a few bumps lately. Hope it gets sorted and the muggles leave it be.

Room With A View is the first cache I placed. It isn't visited very often, 30 visits in 7 years, so I retired the camera after retrieving it, almost 4 years after it was placed. So many people have tiny digital cameras and phone cameras I didn't think it was necessary to fetch a camera every 4 years. I think the pictures turned out quite well.

Yeah but how many people actually post a pic??

There is an overlook about 600 feet away from where I plan on placing the cache. I am hoping people will take advantage and take the picture there.

I find that if you specifically ask in the cache description, people are more likely to do it.

As for placing a camera I just have reservations of dropping it off at a film developer. You never know what turn up in a photo. I've never heard about a problem but I still worry about it.

Most places will not develop the inappropriate pictures anyway.

Since you are in NJ and I am in eastern PA, you must go find my 2 caches GCN6WT and GCPG9N. Each one has a disposable camera and I have swapped it out several times over the years. You will find all the pictures taken at each cache on the cache page if you scroll down far enough.

Some are the pictures are difficult to see because of the lighting conditions under tree cover. I don't leave a camera with a flash, worrying about the battery inside leaking out due to temperature variation.

I also replace the logbook on occassion to preserve the original logs for posterity. I scan them on my computer and stash the books away for safe keeping.

:)

Why not? You're paying them to develop the pictures. Besides, they wouldn't know until after the pictures were developed.

You're right, they're already developed, so they keep them for themselves and say that they can't/won't develop them.

Why not? You're paying them to develop the pictures. Besides, they wouldn't know until after the pictures were developed.

You're right, they're already developed, so they keep them for themselves and say that they can't/won't develop them.

Years back I was given an interview and tour of a photo processing plant (back in the day before these portable machines almost all drugstores now possess) In the bin were a few .. ahem .. photos not suitable for public viewing and quite possibly embarrassing if they fell into the wrong hands (with the internet the way it is, that could be quite a large problem for an individual.)

The explanation I was given, should I accept the job, was the developer would be viewed as a publisher of .. ahem .. certain materials in the eyes of state law and potentially federal law. The easy way out is they destroy the picture, but still return the negative (unless it indicates serious foul play, where they would turn it over to the sheriff or state police.)

[An example of the foul play aspect can be read about here I was quite shocked to see the man apprehended was driving past the building I worked in, each day.]

I expect most developers/photo printers are obligated to check for these sorts of things, even in a digital age where the technology and costs mean people can do much of their own photo processing at home.

An employee keeping personal photos is grounds for dismissal and possibly criminal and civil action. Not advisable.

Since you are in NJ and I am in eastern PA, you must go find my 2 caches GCN6WT and GCPG9N. Each one has a disposable camera and I have swapped it out several times over the years. You will find all the pictures taken at each cache on the cache page if you scroll down far enough.

Some are the pictures are difficult to see because of the lighting conditions under tree cover. I don't leave a camera with a flash, worrying about the battery inside leaking out due to temperature variation.

I also replace the logbook on occassion to preserve the original logs for posterity. I scan them on my computer and stash the books away for safe keeping.

:)

Sounds cool, I will have too.

When you get pictures developed on the machines they use now, the negatives get scanned into a computer to be processed. When they see an inappropriate photo the blank it out. One hit of a button and its black.

I once got a disposable camera developed, and I didn't realize some of my friends too pictures of their testies as a joke to me when I wasn't aware. There were 3 pics, each one of 3 friends. They thought it would be funny to find them in the mix of pics on the camera. When I got the film developed, I got the pics back and found it to be short 3 pics, and saw 3 consecutive blank photos on the little sheet they give you that has all the pics on it as thumbnails.

I asked why they were black. The photo attendant said they were inappropriate pictures and they cannot develop them. This was at CVS.

I found out later that they were... Nut shots....

I believe Wal-mart has the same policy. So I believe these sort of pics will get blanked out before they are printed as I have seen in the past.

EDIT: A quick google search shows that it is illegal for places that develop personal photo's to print any nude photo's. This would include testicles I suppose. So as stated originally, with one small edit, No one will ever see them, except the split instant the photo technician sees it and hits the blank button.

Edited by mchaos