Watch who's watching you?

Nope. No way, and TPTB have said, "No way" to requests to change that. Been discussed a great many times here and in the website forum. And probably now on the Feedback site.

Well, prom my poush!! It is on the Feedback site and Jeremy himself says:

We've considered this in the past and decided it is more important to give people anonymity about what items they watch. It looks like there are enough people that agree with this, so it isn't something we plan to offer.

Edited by knowschad

is there a way to see who is watching your cache listing? like view their names, so i can maybe ask them why they are watching and what they are watching for? im curious.

There was a time when I and about 20 of my sock puppet accounts would put a watch on every cache and trackable you owned for asking such a question.... But, I've mellowed since then.... But others haven't. :P;):)

I bet you have at least a few more watchers than you had before. :):):o

If I were interested, I could easily monitor any or all of your caches without ever placing any of them on my Watchlist. I would simply add your caches to a Bookmark List and check the "Notify me when items on this list are logged" box. That would do the same thing as placing a cache on my Watchlist and you would never have any idea I was "watching."

The upshot is that, even if TPTB changed things so that you could find out who had your cache on their Watchlist, you still wouldn't know who all is watching.

--Larry

Edited for grammar.

Edited by larryc43230

I've given this some thought. The way to do this is :

Figure out the network topology of Groundspeak's servers. Specifically, its connection to its various service providers (presume there would be at least 2 for redundancy).

Place a tap on one of the interfaces. Create a temporary outage on the remaining interfaces.

Post note on log. Have an easily searchable string in there so that it would be easy to search for this in your captured data. Reconstruct TCP streams on destination port 25 (SMTP). For some strange reason, the text is base64 encoded. So, a string with multiple "U"s (binary 01010101) will encode into a bunch of "V" (value = 21, binary 010101) and should be easy enough to search.

You will not get the user ID, but you have the email address and the watchlist item ID. Mapping email address back to geocaching IDs is left as an exercise to the reader.

but why would someone want to watch a cache in privacy?

what are the reasons?

That is a question that many have asked, and few have had answered to their satisfaction. You might try an email to Jeremy himself. If he answers you, please let us know what he says.

If I were interested, I could easily monitor any or all of your caches without ever placing any of them on my Watchlist. I would simply add your caches to a Bookmark List and check the "Notify me when items on this list are logged" box. That would do the same thing as placing a cache on my Watchlist and you would never have any idea I was "watching."

The upshot is that, even if TPTB changed things so that you could find out who had your cache on their Watchlist, you still wouldn't know who all is watching.

--Larry

Edited for grammar.

You forgot about the "make this bookmark private" option. Otherwise, your list shows up on the pages that are on it.

--Larry

Edited for grammar.

You forgot about the "make this bookmark private" option. Otherwise, your list shows up on the pages that are on it.

I didn't forget it, I just assumed it.

--Larry

Well...

I was more curious as to the people who watch hides, why they watch them.

and IF they wanted to watch them in private, what those reasons are, i could care less what jeremy wants or thinks.

I watch some caches for reasons that are personal just to me.

I might be interested in how often a particular cache gets found. Maybe it's one that I found. Maybe it's just random.

I might be interested in if a cache that I am planning to search for has been found regularly.

I might be interested in a cache that was placed in a location that interests me.

The reasons don't have anything to do with the cache owner. YMMV

I watch caches that I thoroughly enjoyed, because I like to see when others log it.

Why some would prefer that this be private is beyond me.

I watch all of my DNFs to see what other people log, either for clues, or to see if maybe it was muggled...

I don't care if everyone knows i am watching a cache or not....doesn't matter to me.

Well...

I was more curious as to the people who watch hides, why they watch them.

and IF they wanted to watch them in private, what those reasons are, i could care less what jeremy wants or thinks.

Whenever I look for a cache, right after posting my log on the cache page, I always place that cache on my Watchlist.

If I find the cache, I want to make sure nothing bad happens to it (like being muggled, for instance) as a result of my finding it. I know, of course, that even if the cache is muggled it wasn't necessarily because of anything I did or didn't do; it's just nice to know that the cache is still there for the next person to find. Once one additional seeker finds the cache, I generally remove it from my Watchlist.

If I'm not able to find the cache and log a DNF, I'm curious to know what future seekers experience: Is the cache actually missing, or was I simply not able to find it? Those future logs might also give me clues for my finding it the next time I look for it. In the case of these DNFs, I might keep the cache on my Watchlist for a while.

As far as keeping the Watchlist private: I've read about cases where a cache owner with a premium-member-only cache, with access to the Audit Log these caches offer, makes a faulty assumption that leads to false accusations. If the cache goes missing, the cache owner uses the Audit Log as if it were a list of suspects that will point to the culprit who (presumably) stole it. Since some people just can't resist the temptation to jump to conclusions, I've always thought it better to not make cache watchers public.

--Larry

what are the reasons?

It's usually to avoid getting bothered by nosy cache owners. Several months (or years?) ago the owner of a PMO cache contacted a person who had viewed the cache page of her cache and inquired why he had looked at it. If she was emailing people who had simply viewed the page, imagine what would happen if she could actually see who had her caches on their watchlist.

:);):):):o

Vacation, all I ever wanted....

I should have clarified...

His say is the rule on this site. Therefore, I dont care, because his opinion IS the rule, and I have to comply regardless of whether I agree or not. It's tough to care, when you HAVE to comply.

Second, I seriously doubt Jeremy will ever find, or secretly watch any of my hides, nore would he ever care enough about little old me, and my nagging questions on these forums to respond to this thread. and therefore his opinion does not matter to me. Especially when he has already made his opinion known, and I have dogs with glasses who can quote him for me.

third, my question was geared towards those people who are watching my hides, or who watch hides in general. I wanted to know form them, if they even cared if that privilege was made public, or not, and why they chose to watch hides in the first place.

hope that clarifies things a bit.

His say is the rule on this site. Therefore, I dont care, because his opinion IS the rule, and I have to comply regardless of whether I agree or not. It's tough to care, when you HAVE to comply.

Second, I seriously doubt Jeremy will ever find, or secretly watch any of my hides, nore would he ever care enough about little old me, and my nagging questions on these forums to respond to this thread. and therefore his opinion does not matter to me. Especially when he has already made his opinion known, and I have dogs with glasses who can quote him for me.

third, my question was geared towards those people who are watching my hides, or who watch hides in general. I wanted to know form them, if they even cared if that privilege was made public, or not, and why they chose to watch hides in the first place.

Nice backpedaling...

I knew what you meant.

:P

Nice backpedaling...

I knew what you meant.

:P

hahahaha you jerk.

Nice backpedaling...

I knew what you meant.

:)

Oh oh.....

backpedal.jpg

Edited by knowschad

what are the reasons?

but why would someone want to know who is watching a cache?

what are the reasons?

well....

I would be curious as to what interests them so much in my caches they have chosen to receive status updates, I may also offer them the opportunity to become the new owner of the caches if they love them enough. I think sharing your cache with someone who loves it would be a great thing.

--Larry

Edited for grammar.

Yup.

Watchlists are for n00bs.

Azcachemeister Liked this.

but why would someone want to know who is watching a cache?

what are the reasons?

why not?

this is one of my issues with GC....and the Privacy reason is total BS, and i will maintain so until someone from GC cares to give explain to me how that is a Privacy issue...what about seeing the names of those that post a log on my caches?...maybe their names should be blanked out as to protect their privacy :)

Navicaching allows you to see who's watching your caches. Neat feature, but pretty anti-climatic. The suspense is over and then you ask, so what?
Yeah, I can't imagine much excitement about being able to see who's watching your cache when you are the only active member of a site.

:)