Milestones - Do you plan to seek a particular cache for each one?

mekk

We've been geocaching since 2004, but due to life, kids, jobs, etc., don't get out that often. We're approaching our 100th find milestone and I'm just curious if I'm just weird alone in wanting to find a cache for that milestone that will be memorable. (Which is what I'm planning to do) :)

So.... tell me how you plan for a milestone find?

Do you choose a particular cache? Or just whatever is the next one that makes that milestone?

Thanks!

I did for my 100th find and my 200th find. Both caches were picked in advance and saved for the milestone events.

My 300th cache came while I was attending Spring Fling Mega. I was using a notepad to write down the caches as I found them so I could do a little happy dance when I hit # 300. Due to my forgetting to write down a cache when found, the cache I celebrated at was actually 301...ooops.. :) I discovered the error of my ways when I was home after the weekend logging caches!

I've not picked out the next one and will probably just let it happen but when # 500 rolls around, I certainly want it to be a special one.

There is a local cache that offers an unactivated geocoin if you do it as a specified milestone, but delayed gratification is always a problem for me so I simply found the cache and left the coins for those who can wait.

I never plan out milestones. Perhaps it would be easier for me (or I would be more motivated to do so) if the numbers on the cache page were frozen at the time of the log entry. That way, I could at least log them in so that the cache that is attached to a particular number is not a lamp post hide. But many people do plan them out and I can see why it would be fun.

I'm with the "I can't count that well" crowd :) , but did manage to pick a rewarding puzze for 100, stumble upon a long-forgotten ammo can from a very well-known CO for 200, and got our whole team/family together for a kid-friendly cache for 300 (the only one really planned). And the last one was the most fun of the three.

Ive only had one real milestone, but I wanted to make sure it was special. Ive always wanted to do a night cache but there werent any in the area I used to live and there are two where I am now. I saved them both for number 100. Good thing too, one of them didnt pan out. Im glad I did it though, number 100 is still one of my favorites.

I too either can't count or fail to plan ahead. Most of my X00-find milestone caches have been pretty mundane. #100 was fairly interesting, but I didn't plan it ahead, and #700 could have been an FTF if I'd tried. But that's the best I've done for a milestone.

my friend is going naked geocaching on some nude beach on her 500th or 1000th, one of those.

turns out theres a whole community of nude geocachers,

*cringe* I wear pants and long sleeve shirts in the middle of summer to avoid bushes, I couldn't imagine what would get stuck in where if I went naked :/

As for OP, I usually set out on 15-20 cache bike rides on Sundays, so I usually get mile stones along the way, unfortunately nothing special.

I chose my first one carefully (Looks Like a Cache), and also number 100 (my first puzzle cache, Aisle by Aisle). I'll definitely try to plan memorable ones for future milestones!

I've started putting the number find it is for me at the bottom of my logs, because that's something I enjoy seeing in other logs. Sure, So-and-So has 8709 finds now, but what about this find I'm looking at in this old log? How many did he have back then? To me, it's neat to see the progress.

--Q

I've started putting the number find it is for me at the bottom of my logs, because that's something I enjoy seeing in other logs. Sure, So-and-So has 8709 finds now, but what about this find I'm looking at in this old log? How many did he have back then? To me, it's neat to see the progress.

--Q

I've started doing that too! That way if I end up reading old logs I know where in my count that one was. I find it interesting to see things like that in others' cache logs so I started doing it myself.

If it is convenient I try to make a milestone at a noteworthy cache or event.

It so happened, because of time constraints and failing to gather one piece for an Earthcache (I was running out of time and couldn't dally) and had to make a mad dash the next day, that my 1,500th find was the Mission 9: Tunnel of Light APE cache. If I had all the bits for the Earthcache the honor would have fallen on a bison tube, hanging by a string, in a Medford, Oregon, shopping center. :)

My 1,600th was in search of an old cache which had eluded me on 2 prior visits. Many of the other centuries, plus 1,000 happened where they happened.

I had a special cache planned for #100 but ended up with another one that was still pretty clever (and quite the stumper for awhile) so I was fine with that as my milestone.

For #200, I picked a neat cache.

I aim to pick something neat for every 100th cache (currently at 235). We'll see how well that works out. :)

I've thought about it, but I stink at planning ahead when it comes to which cache I'm finding on what day.

Same here, we're really bad at planning, and have had milestones that have included a parking lot micro and some other goofy things. We'll probably be hitting some pretty good milestones next week, and humboldt flier has some plans up his sleeve for making our milestones interesting, so we'll see how it goes.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Yes. I find it great fun to plan out my milestones and usually try to pick caches that are quite difficult or that I am not likely to try otherwise.

For #100 (this was back in the days that 100 was a big step, not a day's caching):

drfred #100

For 500 and 1000 I did caches at Oak Mountain State Park with associated 10 mile hikes. #2000 was in Mexico, because I thought that would be fun. #3000 happened while at GWVII, so I made the event 3000 - I know, kinda hokey, but it's how it happened and I don't think that is bad... (I had really been planning to make Key to the Cryptonomicon 3000 because it is DEFINITELY worthy as a milestone - it was 3100 for me...

Edited by drfred

I had hoped to make my 100th find coincide with the 100th annivesary of the Boy Scouts of America. There was a local cache hidden in the Welcome sign of our local council's summer camp; alas, :) I was unable to find the cache and had e-mailed the CO to get a hint as to the location. He told me it was a replacement cache and the location to find it. I went back (after logging in about 14 more finds) and found it :) . The cache happened to be the old cache and not the replacement; still, SL and went on about my caching business :D . The thought was there, but not the result.

I've thought about it, but I stink at planning ahead when it comes to which cache I'm finding on what day.

Same here, we're really bad at planning, and have had milestones that have included a parking lot micro and some other goofy things. We'll probably be hitting some pretty good milestones next week, and humboldt flier has some plans up his sleeve for making our milestones interesting, so we'll see how it goes.

But keep in mind Humboldt Flier is a rabble rousing rat dog who likes to rattle chains and cages ... at time is known to throw down bait as well. Tee, Hee, Hee, Hee